Pages:
Author

Topic: ECB paper on Bitcoin and virtual currencies - page 6. (Read 16899 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
PGP OTC WOT: EB7FCE3D
Bitcoin is a decentralized P2P currency while the Euro belongs to the same "centralized" category as Linden Dollars, Frequent Flyer Miles or Facebook credits.
this. decentralized vs world. but still a good introduction paper

So then the operative word for bitcoin must be "decentralized" currency.
translates in the ECB paper to virtual, type 3 ; )
donator
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019
That's why it's possible that people actually think we might be telling them lies: our facts are complicated. And, well, to be honest: "It's very very very astronomically unlikely that someone accidentally finds the same key" is a shitty fact to tell someone in a conversation [..]

Actually, somebody on this board explained it as a chance that is even billions less than that (i) you life for 80 years, (ii) from the moment of your birth, lightning strikes your head 200 billion times per second (iii) for the rest of your entire life. He got the numbers behind it and it makes completely clear how small that chance is.

I cannot find that thread just now

I found it...

Quote from: anmaku
Comparatively speaking, your odds of being struck by lightning in a given calendar year are about 1 in 280,000. The odds of winning my local lottery are about 1 in 176,000,000. So finding a collision on your first try is roughly equivalent to being hit by lightning 16,540,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times per second for an entire year or winning the lottery 830,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times.

...but I think it's wrong. Off by many orders of magnitude in fact. Hopping over to that thread.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
That's why it's possible that people actually think we might be telling them lies: our facts are complicated. And, well, to be honest: "It's very very very astronomically unlikely that someone accidentally finds the same key" is a shitty fact to tell someone in a conversation [..]

Actually, somebody on this board explained it as a chance that is even billions less than that (i) you life for 80 years, (ii) from the moment of your birth, lightning strikes your head 200 billion times per second (iii) for the rest of your entire life. He got the numbers behind it and it makes completely clear how small that chance is.

I cannot find that thread just now
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
Boussac and hazak
I think your effort to argue that "legal tender" fiat is also "virtual currency" is confusing the issue.
If bitcoin and fiat are both virtual currencies then the only distinction is: one is government backed 'legal tender' and the other is not.

"Legal tender" laws are nothing more than regulation. As regulation always protects the incumbents, it's easy to see how legal tender laws, despite their claimed purpose, have the actual effect of eliminating competition.

again  PLEASE design your terms. 

Is legal tender a "law" enacted by congress or parliament or is it a "regulation" defined by a Federal/National Government Agency or is it a "ruling" or "interpretation" defined by a high court.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
Boussac and hazak
I think your effort to argue that "legal tender" fiat is also "virtual currency" is confusing the issue.
If bitcoin and fiat are both virtual currencies then the only distinction is: one is government backed 'legal tender' and the other is not.

"Legal tender" laws are nothing more than regulation. As regulation always protects the incumbents, it's easy to see how legal tender laws, despite their claimed purpose, have the actual effect of eliminating competition.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
They also forgot another positive side... users use Bitcoins because they can't be debased through inflation Wink

Well...actually no. People "hoard/save/speculate" Bitcoins because they can't be debased. I believe that the ECB paper was discussing Bitcoin purely as a payment system. For which, inflation doesn't matter since in theory the Bitcoins are held for a brief enough duration that fluctuations in purchasing power are effectively nil.

I think they didn't forget about that, you have it on page 23...

Economic foundations of Bitcoin

The theoretical roots of Bitcoin can be found in the Austrian school of economics and its
criticism of the current fiat money system and interventions undertaken by governments and
other agencies, which, in their view, result in exacerbated business cycles and massive inflation.
BCB
vip
BCJ
Boussac and hazak

I am afraid I have to stand by what I said: the distinction is NOT along the "virtual" line as bankers would like to make people believe but along the centralized vs decentralized divide.
Bitcoin is a decentralized P2P currency while the Euro belongs to the same "centralized" category as Linden Dollars, Frequent Flyer Miles or Facebook credits.
The word "virtual" is meant to hide the fact that central currencies are backed just by the people using them, like any other currency.

So then the operative word for bitcoin must be "decentralized" currency.
legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr

That's why it's possible that people actually think we might be telling them lies: our facts are complicated. And, well, to be honest: "It's very very very astronomically unlikely that someone accidentally finds the same key" is a shitty fact to tell someone in a conversation that tries to assure him his money is safe, no matter how many "very"s you put there! Even if you tell them something like: "It's like rolling 100 dice and they all come up '6'", they'll still think it could happen at some point because, well: they've seen 5 dice come up '6' and that's only 20 times more and there's a lot of time in the future and people generating addresses.

You raise a good point.

The way I put it generally is "cyberthieves are billions of times more likely to break your bank account information and passwords than to break your bitcoin private keys."
It works.
legendary
Activity: 1221
Merit: 1025
e-ducat.fr
Boussac and hazak

I am afraid I have to stand by what I said: the distinction is NOT along the "virtual" line as bankers would like to make people believe but along the centralized vs decentralized divide.
The word "virtual" is meant to hide the fact that central currencies are backed just by the people using them, like any other currency.
legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
They also forgot another positive side... users use Bitcoins because they can't be debased through inflation Wink

Well...actually no. People "hoard/save/speculate" Bitcoins because they can't be debased. I believe that the ECB paper was discussing Bitcoin purely as a payment system. For which, inflation doesn't matter since in theory the Bitcoins are held for a brief enough duration that fluctuations in purchasing power are effectively nil.
donator
The fact that the founder of Bitcoin uses a pseudonym -- Satoshi Nakamoto -- and is surrounded by mystery does nothing to help promote transparency and credibility in the scheme.
Good point. I mean, it's not like the founders of the current monetary scheme, er... I mean "system" cloaked their activities in secrecy and used pseudonyms when they got together and planned it at Jekyll Island. What's that? Oh, they did? Yeah, ok, but that was years ago. Still, you gotta admit that the current operations and decision-making process of the Federal Reserve is a helluva lot more transparent than some open-source software that absolutely anyone can review or modify. Right?

Edit: And of course, that comparison is really unfair to Satoshi. The planners of the Federal Reserve tried to keep their involvement anonymous to deceive the public. My guess is that Satoshi simply wanted to preserve his privacy and/or avoid becoming the target of violence from the assholes whose racket is rightfully being challenged by Bitcoin.

well spoken, sir.

you really got me, I was _this_ close to quoting "The Creature from Jekyll Island" once again before reading on Wink.

On the matter: Bitcoin doesn't really need credibility, because it's "advertising" doesn't tell you anything that can't be fact-checked. Now of course there's the problem that average Joe can't read the sourcecode and/or as I've come to believe: understand the basics of the system.

I'm not sure the ECB-authors have dug in deep enough to have the bitcoin-aha-effect.

That's why it's possible that people actually think we might be telling them lies: our facts are complicated. And, well, to be honest: "It's very very very astronomically unlikely that someone accidentally finds the same key" is a shitty fact to tell someone in a conversation that tries to assure him his money is safe, no matter how many "very"s you put there! Even if you tell them something like: "It's like rolling 100 dice and they all come up '6'", they'll still think it could happen at some point because, well: they've seen 5 dice come up '6' and that's only 20 times more and there's a lot of time in the future and people generating addresses.

The analysis we're talking about here can help a lot because it's understandable and doesn't feature any of the technical details. It's really a good introduction to bitcoin. I especially like that libertarian austrian economics in-a-nutshell "grey box".
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
The fact that the founder of Bitcoin uses a pseudonym -- Satoshi Nakamoto -- and is surrounded by mystery does nothing to help promote transparency and credibility in the scheme.
Good point. I mean, it's not like the founders of the current monetary scheme, er... I mean "system" cloaked their activities in secrecy and used pseudonyms when they got together and planned it at Jekyll Island. What's that? Oh, they did? Yeah, ok, but that was years ago. Still, you gotta admit that the current operations and decision-making process of the Federal Reserve is a helluva lot more transparent than some open-source software that absolutely anyone can review or modify. Right?

Edit: And of course, that comparison is really unfair to Satoshi. The planners of the Federal Reserve tried to keep their involvement anonymous to deceive the public. My guess is that Satoshi simply wanted to preserve his privacy and/or avoid becoming the target of violence from the assholes whose racket is rightfully being challenged by Bitcoin.

^Thank you, had a good laugh and realized how misguided most people are.
Activity: 342
Merit: 250

donator
@ Grinder  this is continuation:

bitcoin is way more real than FIAT money.

I wouldn't use "virtual" at all, because it implies "not really existing, just hot air".
** I dont' agree as virtual just means it exists but not in a physical sense. 

the Euro is  neither "real" nor is it "money".
*** this is where I have a problem  You can make that statement but unless you clearly and simply explain it the "average Joe" is going to think you are a "neerdy Bitcoin Supporter".  As far as they "average joe" is concerned their dollars and euros may be devalued by inflation, but they can still use them to PAY TAXES and buy stuff. 

There is no way you're going to be able to convice average Joe about this, though, and it's not really important at all.

Nitpicking on issues like this will make Bitcoin supporters look unnecessarily nerdy, and lower the chances of convincing the public that Bitcoin is a good idea.
***Again I'm not nitpinking, I'm saying we have to clearly and simply define our terms so as the a broader media and public discovers Bitcoin we have a clear defininton of:

1.  what it is
2.  How is it different

Or else those terms will be defined for us by a misinformed or even hostile media/governments

Instead we should just use terms like this in the way other people are most likely to understand, and focus on what Bitcoin can do better than other currencies.
***YES!

Although I don't quite know who wrote what, I pretty much agree my usage of the terms is not fit to communicate with the masses.
I also agree with that last sentence.
BCB
vip
BCJ
@ Grinder  this is continuation:

bitcoin is way more real than FIAT money.

I wouldn't use "virtual" at all, because it implies "not really existing, just hot air".
** I dont' agree as virtual just means it exists but not in a physical sense. 

the Euro is  neither "real" nor is it "money".
*** this is where I have a problem  You can make that statement but unless you clearly and simply explain it the "average Joe" is going to think you are a "neerdy Bitcoin Supporter".  As far as they "average joe" is concerned their dollars and euros may be devalued by inflation, but they can still use them to PAY TAXES and buy stuff. 

There is no way you're going to be able to convice average Joe about this, though, and it's not really important at all.

Nitpicking on issues like this will make Bitcoin supporters look unnecessarily nerdy, and lower the chances of convincing the public that Bitcoin is a good idea.
***Again I'm not nitpinking, I'm saying we have to clearly and simply define our terms so as the a broader media and public discovers Bitcoin we have a clear defininton of:

1.  what it is
2.  How is it different

Or else those terms will be defined for us by a misinformed or even hostile media/governments

Instead we should just use terms like this in the way other people are most likely to understand, and focus on what Bitcoin can do better than other currencies.
***YES!

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
Grinder

Can you be specific?

If you mean the positive sides about Bitcoin it says this on page 21: "Users have several incentives to use Bitcoins. Firstly, transactions are anonymous, as accounts are not registered and Bitcoins are sent directly from one computer to another. Also, users have the possibility transactions are carried out faster and more cheaply than with traditional means of payment. Transaction fees, if any, are very low and no bank account fee is charged."

BCB
vip
BCJ
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
Annuit cœptis humanae libertas
Jon Matonis,

Gives a great interview about bitcoin and contributes to the discussion of "defining" bitcoin and identifying how is it distinct from other "electronic" or "digital" currency.

http://www.financialsense.com/financial-sense-newshour/guest-expert/2012/10/31/jon-matonis/bitcoin-crypto-currency-is-digital-gold-the-future-of-money

Looks at my end to be guarded by a US$ paywall - ironic, much?
BCB
vip
BCJ
Jon Matonis,

Gives a great interview about bitcoin and contributes to the discussion of "defining" bitcoin and identifying how is it distinct from other "electronic" or "digital" currency.

http://www.financialsense.com/financial-sense-newshour/guest-expert/2012/10/31/jon-matonis/bitcoin-crypto-currency-is-digital-gold-the-future-of-money
Pages:
Jump to: