Pages:
Author

Topic: 🌐 Ecosystem Filecoin l Mining Discussion - page 2. (Read 1297 times)

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 5874
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Guys I have a question ... Now for every TiB, there is 0.04 Fil per day. How much FIL/TiB need to be held in the current situation in order to join the mining process? On the Internet, you can find anything you like, including calculators and equipment setup details, etc, but I never came across even approximate figures on this issue, (Hodl FIL/TiB).

legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Some fresh news / Infrastructure and related projects / also updated info in OP Wink

Digital MOB has launched the first version of their Filecoin Miner Reputation System, available now at Filrep.io. A reliable reputation system is crucial to the health of the Filecoin ecosystem. Storage clients must navigate a sea of storage miners to discover those who are the best match for their specific needs.
IPFSUnion announces an investment to build a large Industrial Park focused on Filecoin mining / A long-time tremendous supporter of the IPFS mission and ecosystem, IPFSUnion has established deep economic ties with tech companies in Asia — including Alibaba — to support the growth of decentralized technologies. Upon completion, it will be the largest IPFS- and Filecoin-distributed storage infrastructure project.
legendary
Activity: 3388
Merit: 1059
ddr5 is coming that can do 512gb per module. at x4 slots that's 2TB of ram vs 128gb for x4 slot ddr4 max capacity (32gb per module).

that's at least an x10 more...mining VMs with quad lan cards.

ddr5 is a major leap that can outclass current miners by a magnitude...helps with competition, eth gpu mining is x2 over the previous generation, ddr4 is x2 capacity over ddr3. it is like an algo that got asic'd or fpga'd by the next generation.

gpu miners are always shunned when time comes specially when a coin gets a big enough, or fpga'd or asic'd. now..how can you asic and fpga mining that is basically 1PC = 1miner? or in the near future 1VM = 1 miner?

i really hope filecoin do really well.
legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
I still can’t figure out the return, but I have one major question, does your location affect your deals? I live far away from the US, but we have decent fiber connections here.

I have not gone into details yet, since according to my calculations, it will take me about $ 15,000 to connect, but I have something to add .. As far as I know, the location does not play a special role if you have a stable connection, (and you are unlikely to need a redundant link for uninterrupted connectivity unless you plan to scale). In addition, you instantly receive only 25% of the mined coins, (the rest of the award is paid within six months). The only question I couldn't find an answer to is the FIL to hardware ratio, this is a kind of pledge by which you confirm the quality of your compute node.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
Hello, I am really new to all of this and have been looking to mine Filecoin.
It will probably cost me around 6k to get a 10th generation cpu with the 128Gb ram and around 48 Tib HDD with 2x2 Tib SDD, like you guys I still can’t figure out the return, but I have one major question, does your location affect your deals? I live far away from the US, but we have decent fiber connections here, did anyone of you guys go through with this and started mining?

legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
So, Filecoin claims that their Decentralized Data Warehouse could partially reduce the load on the Ethereum blockchain. "The role of Filecoin in DeFi is already happening. The network has incorporated Infura’s developer API to allow programmers throughout the Ethereum ecosystem to easily integrate with the platform. Additionally, Filecoin is supported by The DeFi Bridge, which allows people to use FIL in the Ren VM." If anyone is interested, you can learn more about it here.
Activity: 24
Merit: 1
Sounds not like the best bet. Look how much it costs to start a Filecoin miner..

CPU: AMD Epyc 7402 (24 cores) - $2000
RAM: 128gb - $1000
Storage: 6tb ($600-800)
GPU: Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 - $4000 each, sometimes required 2!

Thats $8,000 for something you don't even know how much it profits (I couldnt find ANY profit calculations.)

Don't be stupid and chase hyped up cryptos  Grin
legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
Filecoin [+] Ocean Protocol [Decentralized Data Markets](rather unexpected collaboration) / I think a few recent updates will not hurt, "Filecoin is creating new possibilities for programmable storage and algorithmic data markets".

Activity: 50
February 24, 2021, 05:31:41 PM
I assume there must be a "perfect" spec for the fastest equivalent to eth hashrate and then an "affordable" spec thats the best hashrate to price. Do you happen to have these? I read over the hardware guides but it seems like they are  a tad old and they give general "ssd" instead of identifying specific brands or required speeds for them.
I thought about it too, and even asked Whattomine.com ("Calculate how profitable it is to mine selected altcoins in comparison to eth or btc"). At the moment, theoretically, it is possible to calculate profitability depending on "TB used for storage", but as has been accurately noted and with which I agree, there are many other unknown factors that need to be taken into account when calculating. I also agree on the relevance of the information on the equipment on docs.filecoin, so in order to get a complete picture, I plan to find someone who is already doing this. Btw, have you viewed the subreddit/Filecoin?

Sorry for the late reply things have kept me running around, I viewed it a few days ago.
legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
February 24, 2021, 12:37:53 PM
1)going off line fucks you hard.  My 200 speed optimum cable goes off line often.
2)There is a second problem you store info for people you don't know.
I also thought about this, since as far as I know, any complications with the equipment will affect the staking (including temporary shutdown). Correct me if I'm wrong, but before starting work, bitcoin miners must also agree that their coins can be confiscated for a number of reasons (I do not remember what the fund of confiscated coins is called). As for the alleged FBI visits, I doubt that they will be interested in someone else's encrypted information posted at your home.
Activity: 3
February 24, 2021, 12:10:08 PM
There are some good getting started resources here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlqW3LrN578&t=1s and https://filecoin.io/blog/posts/a-guide-to-filecoin-storage-mining/

Also lots of good advice and troubleshooting on the community slack https://filecoin.io/slack
legendary
February 24, 2021, 09:07:34 AM
I  have a beast a monster  and it looks like I can mine it but  staking makes me not want to do it.

A amd threadripper 3970x
128gb ram
nvidia 3090 gpu

I would add 3x 4tb ssd as that is cheap compared to the other parts

I spent a long time looking at requirements and  I find 2 issues

1)going off line fucks you hard.  My 200 speed optimum cable goes off line often.

If your government decides to knock on your door in the name of security to find what is on your pc files they would legally have cause. I do not want my friendly FBI or homeland security telling me my files hold nasty stuff for nasty people.

Hmm, it's strange that the team behind Filecoin haven't thought about this? I guess everything you store will be encrypted or even diversified between many different users and can only be compiled to the original file only by the initial uploader... IDK, just thinking out loud.

Maybe somebody from the team could help us and enlighten us regarding this issues?

encrypted, distributed and decentralized. then we are talking, a miner can just allocate a small portion of filecoin mining to GPU and ASIC mining.

internet connections are getting better these days....and starlink  Wink
Activity: 251
Merit: 250
February 24, 2021, 03:42:50 AM
I  have a beast a monster  and it looks like I can mine it but  staking makes me not want to do it.

A amd threadripper 3970x
128gb ram
nvidia 3090 gpu

If your government decides to knock on your door in the name of security to find what is on your pc files they would legally have cause. I do not want my friendly FBI or homeland security telling me my files hold nasty stuff for nasty people.

Hmm, it's strange that the team behind Filecoin haven't thought about this? I guess everything you store will be encrypted or even diversified between many different users and can only be compiled to the original file only by the initial uploader... IDK, just thinking out loud.

Maybe somebody from the team could help us and enlighten us regarding this issues?
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
February 23, 2021, 07:05:38 PM

A amd threadripper 3970x
128gb ram
nvidia 3090 gpu

Activity: 251
Merit: 250
February 23, 2021, 05:57:00 PM
I am thinking about mining Filecoin too, still doing the research on the required hardware, however it seems nobody that is actively mining is posting on BTT.
I have an old HP Proliant server laying around the house from the time I was hosting websites, maybe I should try mining on it, just lacking this 128Gb of RAM mentioned in the article on their website  Undecided
Is anybody else here planning on building a physical rig or you are all looking thinking of a cloud mining?
Cheers
legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
February 22, 2021, 03:28:19 PM
I assume there must be a "perfect" spec for the fastest equivalent to eth hashrate and then an "affordable" spec thats the best hashrate to price. Do you happen to have these? I read over the hardware guides but it seems like they are  a tad old and they give general "ssd" instead of identifying specific brands or required speeds for them.
I thought about it too, and even asked Whattomine.com ("Calculate how profitable it is to mine selected altcoins in comparison to eth or btc"). At the moment, theoretically, it is possible to calculate profitability depending on "TB used for storage", but as has been accurately noted and with which I agree, there are many other unknown factors that need to be taken into account when calculating. I also agree on the relevance of the information on the equipment on docs.filecoin, so in order to get a complete picture, I plan to find someone who is already doing this. Btw, have you viewed the subreddit/Filecoin?
Activity: 50
February 10, 2021, 08:16:57 PM
Bump

Honestly filecoin has my interest personally "as a miner".
I assume there must be a "perfect" spec for the fastest equivalent to eth hashrate and then an "affordable" spec thats the best hashrate to price. Do you happen to have these? I read over the hardware guides but it seems like they are  a tad old and they give general "ssd" instead of identifying specific brands or required speeds for them. I also still don't understand if its the memory size or transfer rate that matters...it doesn't seem like having 100tb+ helps? Sorry I'd love to know more but I'm not very technical myself so I'm asking questions I can probably figure out with some time I'll do my own research if you'd prefer not to answer or to wait until I am a bit more educated.

GPU mining is much simpler for me to figure out  Wink
legendary
light_warrior ... 🕯️
February 10, 2021, 07:54:57 PM
Need to learn about Filecoin cloud mining, (the entry threshold is much lower). Cons: no real hardware + so far, there are no cloud mining providers in the market. If there are already suppliers on the market, need to find out how long they have been using Filecoin's disk space. And more details are needed regarding the verified storage ("how long and at what speed the 1/10 TB storage will be filled") [1]
legendary
February 09, 2021, 10:36:14 AM
32gb ddr4 sticks will run out next...specially now that frustrated gpu miners cannot find those damn gpus in stores  Cheesy
To be honest, I'm surprised that there is no hype about Filecoin yet, and I might not have been particularly interested in mining this coin if Protocol Labs hadn't been behind the development of the IPFS technology. Although the entry threshold is quite high, but by hearsay, the return on equipment is within 70 days, which is quite tempting. I heard about the $15,000 threshold + it is not known how many coins to buy (didn’t go into details yet).

It is not just the equipment but also the internet connection requirements are higher than the typical POW mining.

I think they are going for dapps too, i already speculated in the past that filecoin can be the next best thing. Forces miners to have 1pc = 1miner unlike the current gpu setup 1pc = up to x amount of  gpu miner (pcie sockets)

1pc = 1 miner, how are you gonna asic that? --->economy

knowing that filecoin mining uses gpu, rams, ssd and cpu means it can do more stuff than ethereum.

in computer world analogy kind of way...

bitcoin = logic gates = like basic calculator

ethereum = microprocessor = like the 8080 for automation

filecoin = modern desktop = what can the modern desktop do? it can be the "world computer" like what vitalik buterin first envision for ethereum.
Activity: 47
Merit: 2
February 08, 2021, 08:14:34 PM
 Wink yes you need to invest miner & coins to mine 10 TB to get block reward and ROI otherwise don't bother. Specs are high
Pages:
Jump to: