Pages:
Author

Topic: [EDU] How to spot a scammer (Read this before lending your coins!) - page 14. (Read 211398 times)

legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001
Giving first is even better. The only one that could get scammed is you. So don't worry about this point.
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
i thought about this, but escrow mean more fee%, thats why i offered to give stuff first, did thats not enought from your opinion?
legendary
7. Straight out of Newbie mode and selling gift cards/codes/Steam games of any kind (they'll often be purchased with stolen CC info, leaving you holding the bag later on down the road)

Just noticed this one, interesting that could explain why no one wanna buy my steam account? I admit the game are kinda old, but classic and cheap as hell, mind to confirm this, cause if thats true, i could be concidered in the suspicious newbi who jumped out from the newbi zone then?

You can get past this if you offer to accept escrow for your trade.
Activity: 92
Merit: 10
7. Straight out of Newbie mode and selling gift cards/codes/Steam games of any kind (they'll often be purchased with stolen CC info, leaving you holding the bag later on down the road)

Just noticed this one, interesting that could explain why no one wanna buy my steam account? I admit the game are kinda old, but classic and cheap as hell, mind to confirm this, cause if thats true, i could be concidered in the suspicious newbi who jumped out from the newbi zone then?
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
You should add

11. Has already a scammer tag

to that list.

LOL

Now that's funny. 

But then again only Dakster would try that.  Probably already took too many punches to the head!
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
I would, but nobody is that stupid.. I hope.
legendary
legendary
legendary
legendary
BCB
vip
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
BCJ
Has anyone reported the scammers to theymos to get scammer tags?
legendary
legendary
legendary
Updated the OP to reflect the successful loans. 
legendary
There are some new loan requests showing up that fit the typical scam cookie cuter template. Lenders beware.
Activity: 210
Merit: 101
This is actually a helpful post.   I havent been a member for a very long time but i used to lurk as a guest for a few months before I became a member.
   I've noticed that lending to newbs has slowed way down and possibly come to a halt.

I remember seeing post from a guy fresh out the newbie section and i believe he recieved a total of 60-80btc(i think he paid them all back)
  That was in june or early july If i remember correctly.        I could not see that ever happening again.   Which is a good thing.

People are sticking to lending to established members and even then making sure they get the right legal info they need.
  drivers license
  utility bill
  signed agreement to repay the loan.

I'm currently asking for a loan on the forum. I have a great repayment history on btcjam and could get a loan easily on that website.

Even with the rep I was able to get from having otc, buying bitcoins with paypal, and btcjam.  I dont expect to see my loan funded.

When I was starting out and people accused me of being a scammer(especially you tomato) which hopefully I've done enough to prove I'm here for the long term and am just an honest person.

I think if you are going to keep a watch list for new users thats a great idea.... as long as you update it often and dont yell scammer until its happened.

being on the watch list is not the same as being labeled a scammer and is less likely to push new members away.

I used btcjam to get all of my previous loans. I believe its a great place for new people who are in search of a loan to get started.

The forum loans section should be strictly for members who meet a certain criteria.   It should be another branch you achieve access to, just as you have to achieve certain criteria to post outside of the newbie section.

there could also be a sticky list of people who want to actively lend.  each can post their requirements and rates and potential lendees could P.M. whichever lender he chooses.  and the lender can decide if he wants to take the risk.

anyway....I like what youre doing here, as ive learned there are other ways to get loans and gain rep outside of the forum.

keep up the watchlist  and make sure you update non-scammers as well as scammers.

peace
legendary
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
Not for hire.
I'm really shocked to say this but...

+1 tomato!

I found this informative, I think the "I just got scammed I need a loan" is probably the most common thing that I have seen so far, what % (rough) would you say of gift cards for sale turn out to be actual scams?  I have not yet bought one because I have been considering the transactions for them too risky.
legendary
Wow, I just did a quick check and only 2 of the dozen or so loan requests on the first page in Lending seem to pass the smell check.  Be careful out there, guys!
Pages:
Jump to: