Pages:
Author

Topic: Edward Snowden praises EU parliament vote against US extradition - page 2. (Read 1516 times)

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
Snowden took an oath and broke it
Snowden took an oath to people, not to government. There is a difference.

he should stand trial for those actions.
Good luck with that.

Here is the security agreement he had with the CIA, which carried over into his term with the private contractor.  Tell you what - this looks rather similar to Hillary Clinton's security agreement, doesn't it?

Snowden’s Special Project Security Agreement

I acknowledge that I have been indoctrinated in the Project identified below and thus have received highly classified information relating to United States intelligence collection activities. I am aware that the unauthorized disclosure or negligent handling of such information could seriously affect the national defense and that the transmission or revelation of such information to unauthorized persons could subject me to prosecution under the Espionage Laws (Title 18, USCA, Sections 793 and 794).

I have been informed that approval for access to Project information may only be granted by Project Headquarters. I have also been informed that extraordinary security measures and controls have been established to protect Project information and that access to such information is restricted to those who “must know” based upon their present position or functional use. I agree to advise appropriate authorities of any change in my position or function and will execute a Termination Secrecy Agreement upon notification that such is required.

I realize that a briefing of this scope and depth, which identifies sponsorship, reveals codewords, and admits to the ultimate intelligence application of the Project, is given only to those individuals who have been specifically approved for the above identified Project at the highest level and that this type information may not be divulged to individuals with lesser levels of access.

I am aware that travel to certain hazardous or denied areas of the world such as the USSR, Communist China, and Sino-Soviet satellite areas may constitute an unacceptable security risk and I agree, until formally relieved of this requirement, to request authorization from Project Headquarters prior to undertaking such travel.

Having reviewed the above security requirements, I pledge that I will never publish or reveal, by any means, classified project information to unauthorized persons. Along with this pledge I recognize and accept the fact that I have a personal and individual responsibility for the protection of all such information in my possession no matter where generated nor how acquired and agree to abide by the security requirements and regulations established for the Project.

I understand that no change in my employment status or relationship with the United States Government will relieve me of my obligation under this Agreement.

I have been advised of the procedures to follow in order to determine the identity of individuals who have been approved for access to this Project, the current estimate of hazard involved in travel to a foreign area or to resolve any other question which may arise under this Agreement.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1359
Snowden took an oath and broke it
Snowden took an oath to people, not to government. There is a difference.

he should stand trial for those actions.
Good luck with that.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
I understand if Snowden was speaking out to protect the rights of American citizens. However the US has no obligation to other countries, so any information released about other countries he is responsible for. Snowden is a traitor and he should stand trial for those actions. Snowden took an oath and broke it

Please post the oath in question.  Never mind, I'll do it.  Here it is.

I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

The reference document for guidance in actions is the Constitution.

Do you still want to claim Snowden is a traitor and he should stand trial for those actions. Snowden took an oath and broke it?

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
I understand if Snowden was speaking out to protect the rights of American citizens. However the US has no obligation to other countries, so any information released about other countries he is responsible for. Snowden is a traitor and he should stand trial for those actions. Snowden took an oath and broke it
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 2198
I stand with Ukraine.

Edward Snowden praises EU parliament vote against US extradition

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/29/edward-snowden-eu-parliament-vote-extradition

<< Edward Snowden on Thursday hailed as "extraordinary" and a "game-changer" a vote in the European parliament calling on member states to prevent his extradition to the US. The parliament voted 285-281 to pass a largely symbolic measure, a resolution that called on European Union member states to "drop any criminal charges against Edward Snowden, grant him protection and consequently prevent extradition or rendition by third parties, in recognition of his status as whistleblower and international human rights defender".

Snowden has lived in exile in Russia since revealing secret US government surveillance programs in June 2013. The European parliament is a directly elected legislature with members from all 28 EU member states. Its legislative authority is limited. The resolution amounted to a request that member states reject attempts by the US to arrest and prosecute Snowden.

"This is not a blow against the US government, but an open hand extended by friends", Snowden tweeted. "It is a chance to move forward". >>

Does this mean Snowden will move to Europe now? I thought the only reason he stayed in Russia was his fear of extradition to the US.
legendary
Activity: 1049
Merit: 1006

Edward Snowden praises EU parliament vote against US extradition

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/29/edward-snowden-eu-parliament-vote-extradition

<< Edward Snowden on Thursday hailed as "extraordinary" and a "game-changer" a vote in the European parliament calling on member states to prevent his extradition to the US. The parliament voted 285-281 to pass a largely symbolic measure, a resolution that called on European Union member states to "drop any criminal charges against Edward Snowden, grant him protection and consequently prevent extradition or rendition by third parties, in recognition of his status as whistleblower and international human rights defender".

Snowden has lived in exile in Russia since revealing secret US government surveillance programs in June 2013. The European parliament is a directly elected legislature with members from all 28 EU member states. Its legislative authority is limited. The resolution amounted to a request that member states reject attempts by the US to arrest and prosecute Snowden.

"This is not a blow against the US government, but an open hand extended by friends", Snowden tweeted. "It is a chance to move forward". >>
Pages:
Jump to: