Pages:
Author

Topic: Electrum 2.0 release - page 2. (Read 11349 times)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0
May 02, 2015, 05:22:28 PM
Platform: Win 7
I am trying Electrum 2.1.1 with HW.1
After some minutes I get: "Exception: Timeout"
What should I check or do to make it work??!!!
Please help.

----
Side note:
In the same Win 7 environment,
Electrum  2.1.1 an HW.1 works perfectly under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS in a VirtualBox environment.
I have btchip-c-api, btchip-python and electrum.
I can post the make script to anybody, who is interested.
Activity: 133
Merit: 100
April 09, 2015, 11:46:29 PM
Create new wallet (Hardware wallet type) --> BTChip HW wallet. 

This is where my problem is - Electrum 2.1 does not give me the option to select a "hardware wallet" type.  That's why I was wondering if maybe there was an alternative way to install electrum to make sure all possible options are available.

As far as btchip-python goes,
I'm pretty sure I got the cython-hidapi and pyusb installed alright, because the test commands within the btchip-python all seem to communicate with the HW.1 properly.

Thanks a lot for your help!

People on this forum should always state which platform they are working from (Linux, Windows, OSX) when posting a question. 

If you are on Linux, install the dependencies first, and work yourself toward Electrum last.  Always "sudo python setup.py install" towards Electrum last.

If you don't have the option to select hardware wallet type, then one of your dependencies is not installed correctly.

Once ThomasV releases a self-inclosed version for 2.1 - you will be able to use the HW-1 with Electrum.  It is working correctly with the source code.

Sorry, I must have forgotten to mention I was installing on Linux.  I thought I installed all of the dependencies right for btchip-python, because the commands like testConnectivity.py all work, and GreenAddress is also able to communicate with it fine on the same installation, so I know my USB is set up correctly.

I will go ahead and start from scratch in the order you suggest.  Maybe that will fix it. If not, i'll just wait for the all-inclusive version.  Thanks again for your help and advice.
Activity: 11
April 09, 2015, 06:08:42 PM
Can someone please help me? I have Electrum 2.0.4 on windows 8.1 and i can't seem to send any bitcoins, I keep on getting the '0' error message. I would really appreciate some help as of right now my bitcoins are stuck.
April 08, 2015, 11:28:50 PM
Create new wallet (Hardware wallet type) --> BTChip HW wallet. 

This is where my problem is - Electrum 2.1 does not give me the option to select a "hardware wallet" type.  That's why I was wondering if maybe there was an alternative way to install electrum to make sure all possible options are available.

As far as btchip-python goes,
I'm pretty sure I got the cython-hidapi and pyusb installed alright, because the test commands within the btchip-python all seem to communicate with the HW.1 properly.

Thanks a lot for your help!
April 08, 2015, 02:23:48 AM
onealfa, HW-1 (and thus Ledger and BTCHIP) didn't make it into this release. You will have to build from source to get support for them.

Is there anything more to building from source than the steps listed on electrum.org/download?  I installed by following the steps below, and I've got btchip-python fully installed and verified communication with the HW-1... but the btchip plugin checkbox is still greyed out.  

Code:
Development version

Install the dependencies.
  sudo apt-get install python-pip python-qt4 pyqt4-dev-tools

Check out the code from Github
  git clone git://github.com/spesmilo/electrum.git

cd electrum
Compile the icons
  pyrcc4 icons.qrc -o gui/icons_rc.py

Compile protobuf description file
  protoc --proto_path=lib/ --python_out=lib/ lib/paymentrequest.proto

Create translations
  ./contrib/make_locale

Install Electrum
  sudo python setup.py install
Activity: 5
April 07, 2015, 12:25:58 PM
Sorry, I have to correct myself: Even with the Trezor plugged in it shows the transaction history before entering the PIN. Would be great if this could be changed as well.
April 07, 2015, 12:18:42 PM
Hi ThomasV,

Trezor has come out with a new firmware version, which mandates the PIN to be entered before the public addresses are loaded:

"After updating your firmware to 1.3.3 you’ll notice a slight change when working with myTrezor.com, Mycelium for Android, MultiBit HD or any other TREZOR compatible applications. From now on each time you plug in your device, you’ll be requested to enter your PIN before your account balances and transaction history load. This way, we aim to improve your privacy protection and make sure that no unauthorized person can get access to any sensitive data or view your bitcoin wealth if you leave your TREZOR unattended."

This is a very useful privacy feature. I tried it with Electrum and when Trezor is plugged in it works. However, if I don't plug-in Trezor and open the wallet file, the watch-only wallet is loaded and shows all my BTC without the entry of my PIN. I would prefer that the wallet addresses are only loaded once I have plugged-in the wallet and entered the PIN. Not plugging-in the Trezor thus circumvents this privacy feature.

My question is: Is there a possibility to switch off the watch-only mode and to saved this preference in the wallet file? If not, I would like to submit a development request to make this available as this is a very useful privacy feature.

Thank you!
Activity: 408
Merit: 250
April 05, 2015, 06:45:42 AM
OMG. Electrum 2.0 seems to be infested with bugs everywhere !  Mac, Windows, Linux. It doesn't matter.
I just tried to restore  a wallet using the Mac version and got this error:
"Python int too large to convert to C long."
Really?

Activity: 221
April 02, 2015, 04:28:51 PM
Standalone Executable for Windows gives me the following error:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
Runtime Error!
R6034
An application has made an attempt to load the C runtime library incorrectly.

some problem with version 2.0.4
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009
March 30, 2015, 12:57:40 PM
Still no luck setting up amodem. Anyone tried it? What's the best frequency?

Hi unamis,

I recommend using the following commands to test and calibrate the modem:

At the sender side, run:
$ BITRATE=1 amodem-cli send -vv -c auto

At the receiver's side, run (after the sender is running):
$ BITRATE=1 amodem-cli recv -vv -c auto

The sender will play a 2kHz tone, at maximum amplitude.
The receiver will try to find the best gain, such that the received audio will have the maximal amplitude that won't saturate the microphone.
It uses binary search method to adjust the gain via PulseAudio command-line utility, and it will take ~15 seconds to find the correct value for your setup.
If everything is OK, you would get "good signal" message with the coherency measure very close to 1.

Please attach the log, if there is a problem.

Finally got a (working) soundcard for my Raspberry Pi, and I am trying to setup amodem as it should be. Tried to run these commands, but it just says it can't find amodem-cli... What's up?

And roman.z, you can count me in if you wish to beta test on Raspberry hardware. This is a really nifty tool for cold storage... So let's make it work in the best cold storage device there is!
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
March 29, 2015, 06:48:27 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your help. It works when Trezor is plugged in.

Suggestion to improve Electrum: When choosing the Trezor hardware wallet option, open up a message that says to plug in the Trezor instead of letting Electrum crash, if Trezor is not plugged in.

Thank you!

Mine does not crash when Trezor not plugged in. Just goes into watch only mode. Shutting down is no problem. Plug in I had trouble with was Green Address Instant Confirmation so I disabled it.
March 29, 2015, 06:38:36 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your help. It works when Trezor is plugged in.

Suggestion to improve Electrum: When choosing the Trezor hardware wallet option, open up a message that says to plug in the Trezor instead of letting Electrum crash, if Trezor is not plugged in.

Thank you!
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
March 28, 2015, 10:28:51 AM
Hi ThomasV,

I have Electrum 2.0.3 running on Windows as well as Trezor.

When I wanted to set up a new wallet in Electrum based on Trezor it did not work. Then I have seen that I need to install a Trezor wallet plugin. I did not manage to do this.

My question/request for you would be: Couldn't Electrum already come with the Trezor plugin as a default? For an average user everything else is too complicated. This would significantly enhance the value of Electrum.

Thank you!

PS: When I want to download Electrum 2.0.4 as a Windows installer (https://electrum.org/#download), it always downloads the 2.0.3 setup exe.

2.0.3 installer for Windows includes the Trezor plugin and by default it is on. Just set up a new hardware wallet and select Trezor with your Trezor plugged in. It should work.
March 28, 2015, 10:26:06 AM
Hi ThomasV,

I have Electrum 2.0.3 running on Windows as well as Trezor.

When I wanted to set up a new wallet in Electrum based on Trezor it did not work. Then I have seen that I need to install a Trezor wallet plugin. I did not manage to do this.

My question/request for you would be: Couldn't Electrum already come with the Trezor plugin as a default? For an average user everything else is too complicated. This would significantly enhance the value of Electrum.

Thank you!

PS: When I want to download Electrum 2.0.4 as a Windows installer (https://electrum.org/#download), it always downloads the 2.0.3 setup exe.
Activity: 313
March 24, 2015, 11:50:02 AM
Hi,

I keep getting this message "Timed out while waiting for the magic character" after trying to send out BTC with Electrum 2.0. Yes, I did enter the right passhprase/PIN and fee amount.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
[...]

Thanks.
This version seems to remain viciously buggy though:

I didn't notice any server connectivity. It was showing as in sync and there didn't seem to be any apparent time out. It actually immediately popped after entering my PIN and all the inputs needed in the Send tab...

In fact, changing the server and restarting didn't make any difference at all. If I tried to send again, it'd show either this:

", expected (,)"

Or this other error:

"Tag had invalid wire type"

Or this:

"Unexpected end-group tag"

None minimally user friendly or at least a bit more explanatory.  

Now my Bitcoin is stuck...  :-/

I get the same , the last release which works fine for me is 2.0b3

I tried to do a git bisect, and the last commit which works solid here is: 5ee4a87f29bfa1d5e9a24affd6fcacdb2dc95ce5
and the problem seems to start with 18d16ba82c8c0a543b71d88c654a3a53d8956281

But the problem is sporadic with 18d16ba82... (can work multiple times in a row until it fails).
If there is this error message at startup:
Code:
BaseException: Duplicate master public key
it seems to work, if not I get those random weird errors.

But current git seems much worse and kinda always fails here...

Maybe something makes Trezor run into a timeout here and then weird stuff happens?:
https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor/blob/master/trezorlib/transport.py#L116

No idea how to further debug this problem :/

I just noticed, if I create a new wallet from my Trezor the issue goes away and it works fine.  Huh
The only real difference between the wallet file seems to be that nextaccount is called nextaccount2 now.
So if someone has this problem  try to create a new wallet...
Activity: 313
March 21, 2015, 10:23:03 AM
Hi,

I keep getting this message "Timed out while waiting for the magic character" after trying to send out BTC with Electrum 2.0. Yes, I did enter the right passhprase/PIN and fee amount.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
[...]

Thanks.
This version seems to remain viciously buggy though:

I didn't notice any server connectivity. It was showing as in sync and there didn't seem to be any apparent time out. It actually immediately popped after entering my PIN and all the inputs needed in the Send tab...

In fact, changing the server and restarting didn't make any difference at all. If I tried to send again, it'd show either this:

", expected (,)"

Or this other error:

"Tag had invalid wire type"

Or this:

"Unexpected end-group tag"

None minimally user friendly or at least a bit more explanatory.  

Now my Bitcoin is stuck...  :-/

I get the same , the last release which works fine for me is 2.0b3

I tried to do a git bisect, and the last commit which works solid here is: 5ee4a87f29bfa1d5e9a24affd6fcacdb2dc95ce5
and the problem seems to start with 18d16ba82c8c0a543b71d88c654a3a53d8956281

But the problem is sporadic with 18d16ba82... (can work multiple times in a row until it fails).
If there is this error message at startup:
Code:
BaseException: Duplicate master public key
it seems to work, if not I get those random weird errors.

But current git seems much worse and kinda always fails here...

Maybe something makes Trezor run into a timeout here and then weird stuff happens?:
https://github.com/trezor/python-trezor/blob/master/trezorlib/transport.py#L116

No idea how to further debug this problem :/

Activity: 252
March 15, 2015, 01:18:50 AM
It seems the package is just imported from Debian's repositores, so the answer is: never.

But it seems very easy to install it yourself,, you would just need to run these commands:

Code:
sudo apt-get install python-qt4 python-pip

Code:
sudo pip install https://download.electrum.org/Electrum-2.0.2.tar.gz

https://electrum.org/#download

People might not regularly check for latest versions.  Smiley
I was under the impression that this was one of the advantages of using linux. Centralized updation of all software so that you don't have to worry about security risks / using outdated software.

No, Debian sucks a lot about packaging system and packaging policies about applications. They'll never update because this is their policy.

The big problem on Linux distros in general is because there isn't a separation between the system level and applications level. This is worsened because of the stupid policy of dynamic-compilingg, so if you your application needs a newer library, bye bye. Don't wait for official repos, do it yourself.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
March 14, 2015, 08:54:12 PM
It seems the package is just imported from Debian's repositores, so the answer is: never.

But it seems very easy to install it yourself,, you would just need to run these commands:

Code:

Code:

People might not regularly check for latest versions.  Smiley
I was under the impression that this was one of the advantages of using linux. Centralized updation of all software so that you don't have to worry about security risks / using outdated software.
Activity: 252
March 13, 2015, 12:11:54 AM
I run Ubuntu and the version I have from "Ubuntu Software Center" is Electrum 1.9.7
When will the latest version be available in the official ubuntu packages?

Code:

Code:

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
March 12, 2015, 08:50:27 PM
I run Ubuntu and the version I have from "Ubuntu Software Center" is Electrum 1.9.7
When will the latest version be available in the official ubuntu packages?
Pages:
Jump to: