Pages:
Author

Topic: ENGLISH LANGUAGE THE MOST POWERFUL LANGUAGE? - page 2. (Read 554 times)

Activity: 23
Merit: 0
I don't think English language is the most powerful language. In fact i think it is the most widely used and most known language to all. It doesn't imply English is powerful. At times when there was no English, may be there was some other language that had the same prospect English has nowadays. It is obvious that with the steep rise of China, Mandarin would me the most widely used language in future.
Maybe powerful just isn't the right word to use. Of course, a language itself can't have power. A language is just a set of words and grammar used as a tool to communicate. A language can certainly have more or less reach. I definitely think that English has the most reach in the world. I doubt that Mandarin will ever be more popular than English. Off the top of my head, it seems like most developed countries speak indo-European languages. English is also an Indo-European language. This makes it easier for most of Europe and all Spanish speaking countries to learn. Chinese has a too complicated writing system to be the world language unless it is forced on everybody.
Activity: 83
Merit: 3
I think English a universal language especially in Arts like music most my favorite artist & songs are English and movies too.
Activity: 624
Merit: 250
Because English has become a global language for everyone. Many people understand and speak English now, so it's sort of a must know language. Besides, English is easy to learn. And now, Mandarin language is on the third global language.
Activity: 23
I think that things have just worked out in a way that English is the most spoken language in the world. Mandarin Chinese is the language with the most native speakers, but if you could all speakers, then English takes the cake. I think has changed over time. In some period Greek was a big deal or Latin. I know that French used to be a much more significant language. I'm sure at some point English could die back a little, but it doesn't seem like that'll happy anytime soon. I think it's highly unlikely that Chinese will become a huge international language, though the Chinese economy is huge. It's a much more challenging language to learn than English.
Activity: 210
Merit: 1
English language is a universal language.Most people tend to speak in english when travelling in different part of the globe because english language is widely used.But for me the most powerful language is "Respect" whether you cant speak english or other languages as long as you have that virtue there is peace and unity.
Activity: 211
Merit: 2
ICO Whitepaper Writer, Pitch Decks & Promoter
The most powerful language is your native dialect the language you use to connect with your environment. Its absurd nations or govts which think of English as a powerful language one that embody elitism or success in the society. Always marvelled at how at intercon conferences bold leaders with own dialect will address a multi-language conferences and this is translated via devices. Similarly, each country education system need to use local languages to reduce abstraction in their education systems and realise more superiority in imparting own citizen knowledge. Its not I am against English language because already I am a victim of it but with this decentralized world things/ideas and perceptions are about to change.  Roll Eyes
Activity: 71
i dont know but i only know is english language is the universal language. you can use english language any time anywhere. if youre in the different country even they have theirs own language you can use english language to interact with them. i dunno but i think english language is the universal language because of the imfluence of US to all country.
Activity: 110
English is simply universal but there's no power in the language itself, as any word could be easily translated. The real power lies in the words, what they mean and who is pronouncing them.
Activity: 22
I don't know maybe because English is very simple and easy language to learn it does not have a lot of restriction on the way you speak it everyone uses it to communicate your the world. When is the most used language and I was taught as a child how to speak and write English. It is literally everywhere that's why it is one of the primary languages you have to learn.

I agree that its kind of an easy language to learn. Many say that. But reason as to why its widely spoken is that the native of the language had an agenda to globalize the language and they successfully did so. ANd depending on where you are from, if English is not your native,then its your official language,if not that, then its in your school syllabus or at least an optional language to learn. This shows how well the natives succeeded in their agenda of globalizing the language.
legendary
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004
I don't know maybe because English is very simple and easy language to learn it does not have a lot of restriction on the way you speak it everyone uses it to communicate your the world. When is the most used language and I was taught as a child how to speak and write English. It is literally everywhere that's why it is one of the primary languages you have to learn.
Activity: 22
The influence of English must be credited to its historical impact. The conquest on foreign land by native english speaker and imposing their language as the official language on these foreign lands. In schools, offices, companies, streets and so on, english was spoken almost everywhere. With time, it started becoming global, and those that felt left out started joining in understanding the language. Because english is the main language in business, trade and governance. I think its wise for many to understand the language to make life easier.
Activity: 34
I believe English language is the most powerful language on earth. For all the crypto project i have come across, their first language is always English. Even some Africa francophone countries are now using English to teach in their schools, I want to think all FIFA referees understand English language. What do you think makes English very influential?   
english is a powerful language because it is widely used...they consider it as a medium of speech so everyone understands each one another even if they belong to different countries...in our country elementary students were already taught how to speak and understand english
Activity: 53
Merit: 13
Of course Not,
There is nothing called the most powerful language.
English is the most common and official language of worldwide communication.
Btw if there would be something called the most powerful language I guess it would be something around Latin Hebrew as most English words are derived from there. Who know may Arabic
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1027
Learn another language   The English are liars ..i know i am one  Wink..
not me the liar    just i watch tv and all i see is political lairs using long confusing English words that don't mean nothing but only to themselves ..

So if i was you learn another language because the English will only use long words so they can confuse you to ROB YOU silly  ..
I meant this   no but i meant that   the English language for you   but all to confuse to lie to steal your monies or make you a slave ..

I voted for many years not once have i ever got what i voted for not ever WHY because of the English language  because they say one word but mean another..
So when you vote your voting to make a snooty shit a living not for you but them ..

Next time vote for the least one that they don't likes  Wink  MONSTER RAVING LOONY PARTY ..Might be that loony they actually give us something ..
the loony thing might be to do good by the people ?..

Use another language the UK is finished  dead wet weak pussies   FACT  pee wee herman leeches ..
Activity: 128
Merit: 10
English language is a universal language. And yeah for me it is the very powerful language because it let us communicate to all the people in the world. But not all the countries requires their people to speak in english. When i went to taiwan language had became my first problem only few people there can understand english. There I realized how powerful english language are. To be able us to communicate from each other from different countries with diffetent language.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 279
I don't see it as "most powerful" (what's powerful is the American army and passport). I see it rather as most useful. It is widely-spoken and it is the language of academia and pretty much the internet.

It is simply the result of various historical events - any language could have been used. Had the Aztecs colonized the world, we'd all be speaking Nahault.

English language is powerful of course, but the most powerful one I think is Chinese. It's a language of the future.

It took centuries for English to displace French so I don't think Chinese (or rather the official Mandarin) is going to be the lingua franca anytime soon.

Why argue which language is better?
There is a language of deaf-dumb people - and there it does not matter who you are or what country you are from, right?
At the moment, English is more communal throughout the world, but everything can change if our planet survives a couple of millennia ...

I don't think any language is "better" and I'm not arguing for that. There are certain nuances when comparing languages with each other (for example, try this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYlVJlmjLEc) but languages evolved to suit the needs of their speakers and it served them well for a long time anyway.

Again, whichever language is the "lingua franca" (funny since it literally meant "Frankish tongue") is usually due to circumstances rather than any inherent quality of that language: Latin in Western Europe because of the Catholic Church and the idea of keeping Roman traditions alive, Arabic in the Islamic world since it is insisted that the Koran be read in it, French spoken across courts in Europe because of the cultural influence of the French court, English later due to media, etc...
Activity: 18
English language is powerful of course, but the most powerful one I think is Chinese. It's a language of the future.

Why?

What do you mean by powerful to start with? English is the most spoken language used because of Europe, the English Commonwealth and the Brittish former colonies spread around the world, also in Europe many nations from different language families have many common things with English, as it unifies vocabulary from the Romance and Germanic language trees, which already covers most of the continent, also most things were developed in the United States specially on the internet, etc. There is no such a thing as "powerful" but accessibility, that's why people started using English.

I have a feeling the OP meant influential instead of powerful. I will keep things to myself as to why powerful was selected though. I definitely think English will continue to be the most influential language out there since it is already deeply connected to the international trade system. And it will long continue to had influence as a number of languages incorporated words into them.

I know a lot of people try to equate Han Chinese to the PRC's level of importance, but all someone has to do is look at Russian to see where Han Chinese is going to go. Han Chinese is also incredibly difficult to understand and speak. Just live in the PRC for a few years and you will be come frustrated trying to speak from people from the different provinces.

Then there is the fact that English is something taught in the PRC. Their English level is terrible because of the terrible quality of the English teaching programs, but even an average young Chinese will be capable of basic communication in English.

Like it or not, English is the international language.
Activity: 126
Merit: 4
Community Manager at Bitsurf.eu

Why?

What do you mean by powerful to start with? English is the most spoken language used because of Europe, the English Commonwealth and the Brittish former colonies spread around the world, also in Europe many nations from different language families have many common things with English, as it unifies vocabulary from the Romance and Germanic language trees, which already covers most of the continent, also most things were developed in the United States specially on the internet, etc. There is no such a thing as "powerful" but accessibility, that's why people started using English.
Activity: 462
Merit: 12
I don't see it as "most powerful" (what's powerful is the American army and passport). I see it rather as most useful. It is widely-spoken and it is the language of academia and pretty much the internet.

It is simply the result of various historical events - any language could have been used. Had the Aztecs colonized the world, we'd all be speaking Nahault.

It took centuries for English to displace French so I don't think Chinese (or rather the official Mandarin) is going to be the lingua franca anytime soon.

Why argue which language is better?
There is a language of deaf-dumb people - and there it does not matter who you are or what country you are from, right?
At the moment, English is more communal throughout the world, but everything can change if our planet survives a couple of millennia ...
Activity: 12
True  i  think  is  its  powerful  when  compared  to  the  rest  of  the  languages.  this  also  as  to  do  with  USA since  its  considered  to  be most  powerful  country. a  good  sum  of  countries  speaking  English  are  also  doing   good  economically.
Pages:
Jump to: