Pages:
Author

Topic: Equivalent Network Time - page 2. (Read 486 times)

legendary
Activity: 1344
Merit: 6415
Farewell, Leo
April 17, 2021, 01:49:21 AM
I like thinking Bitcoin as a mountain with 21 million tons of gold that as you dig you will find less and less. And I do, because this way, we can state that we have all the bitcoins inside that mountain, they just haven't been mined/shared yet. And it gets better!

If you spend x energy for gold mining you'd mine y amount of gold. The geniusness of Bitcoin dismisses that fact. There is no x! It doesn't matter how many hard-workers (referring to computers) work on extracting bitcoins from the "mountain". Whether the world used a 0.6% of the global electricity consumption or some tiny little CPUs, we'd have extracted the same coins.

This makes it even more valuable and environmental-friendlier. Any government can forbid mining with ASICs, but these valuable and intangible coins will continue being extracted from that mountain, no matter what. So, what's more environmentally damaging after all Mr. Schiff?  Kiss

(Back when the mountain was overflowing bitcoins)

legendary
Activity: 2016
Merit: 2169
Professional Community manager
April 16, 2021, 09:43:21 PM
I usually hear people say they regret not getting into Bitcoin earlier and how they should have paid more attention to it when they first heard about it then or five years ago; but in reality, anyone who is aware of Bitcoin now is still a very early adopter, and ten or five years from today, anyone who buys Bitcoin now would be most likely significantly up on their investment.

Bitcoin's scarcity model is one of the most important qualities of the network.it not only increases the value of the asset, but allows it to grow without becoming inflationary, as the shortage in supply compensated the equivalent increase in first value.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
April 16, 2021, 07:34:19 PM
I do have it in mind before that bitcoin is a scarce resources, I remember an article about the CEO of microstrategy trying to let people to know that may assets people are thinking are scarce are not actually scarces like the way people think, they are just better than fiat. One of the reasons these assets are not that scarce is because they are continuously being mined, a limited supply is what they could not support.

But when comes digital currencies, bitcoin was specifically designed to be scarce, it has a limited total supply that will be in circulation which is 21 million. But, not only that, bitcoin was truly designed in a way to have an algorithm miners uses to have each blocked mined in 10 minutes in average, halving mining reward every 210,000 blocks. Al these makes bitcoin to have value, and to be an appreciative asset.

With what you write up there, it is really meaningful, you really defines the true design of bitcoin, why it should be valuable. Some people can think the price is now $60000, it may not rise again, but if they read what your posted very well, they will be convinced to know that the price of bitcoin can fall today, rise tomorrow, fall again, but the overall result will be the appraciative aspect of it, which means bitcoin value to increase over a long time period.

As what (bitcoin) being mined is reducing at each halving (every 210,000 blocks mined), mining reward is reducing. This is an indication that bitcoin will be more valuable in the future. The bitcoin amount we think is not having value now will have more value in the future. In conclusion, bitcoin is an appreciative asset that have limited supply that makes it more valuable.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 15144
Fully fledged Merit Cycler - Golden Feather 22-23
April 16, 2021, 07:02:54 PM
I found on a Telegram chat a reference to a very interesting Reddit post:

People talk often about having some percentage of the total bitcoin supply, such as 21 BTC being 1 millionth of the total supply, but I want to promote a different way of viewing amounts of Bitcoin.

Time is money is an old adage that is covered quite thoroughly in The Bitcoin Standard by Saifedean Ammous. He posits that the only truly scare resource (prior to Bitcoin) was human time. Now we can add Bitcoin to that short list of scarce resources, but perhaps we also need to add Bitcoin blockchain network time.

When the Bitcoin network was young there was very little value in bitcoins and they flowed freely, being given away up to 5 at a time from faucets and being offered for sale at 10,000 for $50 without any buyers coming forward, 10,000 BTC for a couple of supreme pizzas. In that epoch the block subsidy was 50 BTC every 10 minutes. We can consider 10 minutes of Bitcoin network time to have been worth about 50 bitcoins in the period prior to the first halving. Now that we’ve had three halvings the block subsidy is only 6.25 BTC every 10 minutes. Transaction fees are added to the block subsidy, but transaction fees usually total between 0.5-1.1 BTC at this time.

As time is a scarce resource both for humans and the Bitcoin blockchain, I have stopped thinking in terms of total supply and started thinking about my Bitcoin balance as a claim on ownership of blockchain time. If someone had 50 BTC from the first epoch that would have represented 10 minutes of network time, but that same 50 BTC now represents 80 minutes of network time on the most powerful computer network in the world. After the next halving, it will be 160 minutes, then 320, 640, 1280, etc.

In the last epoch in which there is a block subsidy (about 2136-2140 Anno Domini) only 0.00216 BTC will be created in the entire 4 year period. If you own ~0.002 BTC you own the entire network production for that 4 year period.

Before anyone mentions it, yes, I realize that long before that epoch the network will be incentivized far more by transaction fees than block subsidies. In fact, the change from block subsidy to transaction fees as the main source of network funding will occur no later than 2032 when the average transaction fees will outpace the block subsidy, which will drop to 0.78125 BTC.

I am posting this to give people hope who are feeling left behind because a whole coin is out of reach for so many. Maybe you’ll never get to a whole coin, but can you get to 0.05? Because that is more than the block subsidy will be between 2048 and 2052. If you have 0.05 you own 10 minutes of the Bitcoin's network time in 2048.

Stop thinking in percentages of the total supply, and think about building your claim on the network’s time. It’s a happier thought, provides more achievable goals, and it’s cool to think about having control over the time of a network as dispersed, diverse, and decentralized as Bitcoin.

Block subsidy schedule through 2052:
2009-2012: 50
2012-2016: 25
2016-2020: 12.5
2020-2024: 6.25
2024-2028: 3.125
2028-2032: 1.5625
2032-2036: 0.78125
2036-2040: 0.390625
2040-2044: 0.1953125
2044-2048: 0.09765625
2048-2052: 0.04882813

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/mnh5qa/a_different_way_to_view_your_bitcoin_balance/

Wow, it is a very interesting concept.
Everyone has in his own mind a vague representation of the bitcoin issuance curve.
Namely, some graph like this one:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply

But what does it really means?

I did a quick Excel, as usual trying to figure it out.
I came with my own version of many spreadsheets available over the net:

We see that the rhythm of BTC issuance decreases a lot.
But our brain is not wired to understand exponential numbers, so I tried to answer this question:
"How long does it takes to mine a Bitcoin?"

On the first Epoch, 50 Bitcoin were mined every 10 minutes (average, protocol standard). So I computed every Bitcoin had a network Time of 10 minutes/50= (10*60)/50 sec. = 600/50 sec.= 12 sec.

Obviously, in the second Epoch, the reward was halved, so each bitcoin had double the network time or 24 seconds.

So I call "network time" the amount of time needed by the network to "generate" that amount of Bitcoins.
Let's see how network times evolve across the various epochs:

Now we start to understand.
We see how fast the BTC creation fall.
Only in the first 6 Epoch, there will be more than 1 bitcoin per block.
Only in the first 24 Epoch, there will be more than 1 bitcoin per Epoch.
After the year 2102, there will be less than one bitcoin mined.

Of course, the network time is "theoretical" after Epoch 24.
If a Bitcoin takes more than an Epoch to be mined, then it will actually take longer as it will be mined at a slower and slower speed going on with the epoch.
This is why, after Epoch 24 the Network time don't match the actual bitcoin issuance.
So we can try to equate the amount of time needed to generate one Bitcoin, using Equivalent Times, or Network Times * BTC amounts.

So 50 original Bitcoin in Epoch 0 is equal to  10 minutes of Network time. Today those are equivalent to 6.25 BTC or the same 10 minutes of network times.

We can also move Backwards in time:

1 Bitcoin today is equivalent to 1 minute and 36 seconds of network time. That bitcoin in January 2010, in Epoch 1, was equivalent to   8    Bitcoins, or the same 1 minute and 36 seconds of network time.

So I added a calculator on the spreadsheet, where you can play with those equivalences, to see how lucky you are to live in these incredible times.

Link to Excel.

Have fun.
Please let me know your feedback.

Pages:
Jump to: