Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum Constantinople Hard fork to be delayed - page 6. (Read 710 times)

copper member
Activity: 2044
Merit: 793
If the fork is moved a few days, it certainly will not change much.
After all, this bug has been found on time and will certainly be fixed quickly.

I don't think so, as it has been stated already that in the article that the vulnerabilities can not be fixed before the upgrade would launch and that's what brought the delay but, hopefully it wouldn't takes as long as the first postponement took to get an estimated date for the upgrade.
copper member
Activity: 266
Merit: 0
If the fork is moved a few days, it certainly will not change much.
After all, this bug has been found on time and will certainly be fixed quickly.
Activity: 588
Merit: 104
This is not a good news for ETH as we were waiting for the development upgrades for too long and that was reflected  on the price as well.
And why the delay at the last moment, but anyway the update should be done properly and on a secure way.
So it if could cause a loophole in the code for the attackers and the funds would be in danger with the fork then the only solution was to postpone the event.
copper member
Activity: 2044
Merit: 793
The much anticipated upgrade to Ethereum network is set to be delayed yet again to a yet to be known date due to critical vulnerabilities discovered on the to be implemented upgrade, according to Coindesk.

Smart contract audit firm ChainSecurity flagged Tuesday that Ethereum Improvement Proposal (EIP) 1283, if implemented, could provide attackers a loophole in the code to steal user funds. Speaking on a call, ethereum developers, as well as developers of clients and other projects running the network, agreed to delay the hard fork – at least temporarily – while they assessed the issue.

Participants included ethereum creator Vitalik Buterin, developers Hudson Jameson, Nick Johnson and Evan Van Ness, and Parity release manager Afri Schoedon, among others. A new fork date will be decided during another ethereum dev call on Friday.

Discussing the vulnerability online, the project’s core developers reached the conclusion that it would take too long to fix the bug prior to the hard fork, which was expected to execute at around 04:00 UTC on Jan. 17.

Called a reentrancy attack, the vulnerability essentially allows an attacker to “reenter” the same function multiple times without updating the user about the state of affairs. Under this scenario, an attacker could essentially be “withdrawing funds forever,” said Joanes Espanol, CTO of blockchain analytics firm Amberdata in a previous interview with CoinDesk.

He explained:

“Imagine that my contract has a function which makes a call to another contract… If I’m a hacker and I’m able to trigger function a while the previous function was still executing, I might be able to withdraw funds.”
Pages:
Jump to: