Pages:
Author

Topic: European Union is robbing its citizens' bank accounts. 9.9% to be confiscated. - page 14. (Read 33190 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
I think all the actions of global economy leaders are in the way of helping cryptocurrencies!
i wonder Roll Eyes

Yep, LOL, they must be loaded up on Bitcoin themselves (hence the run from 5$ to 50$) now they simply doing their best to help their newest investment.
Activity: 607
Merit: 500
I think all the actions of global economy leaders are in the way of helping cryptocurrencies!
i wonder Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Well, if their current account contract says that you can withdraw any amount anytime, and they do not possess the capability of making good of such a promise, it IS fraud.
No, it's not fraud. We all understand under what circumstances the bank can and cannot keep that promise. It's not a secret.

The contract is saying that you can request a withdrawal at any time. It is totally obvious that the bank can't process a withdrawal if they don't have the money. They could add that clause to the contract, but there would be no point -- everyone understands that already.

This is the tradeoff we choose to make in exchange for an account that bears interest, rather than paying someone to lock our money in a vault. It's a good deal for the depositors. (Unless the government decides to renege on it, but that could happen without fractional reserves.)
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Yes, the only moral thing was to let banks compete with same terms as the other companies do. You know, it is considered fraud, if you sell something you don't have, eg. banks are doing with their fractional reserve deposits.
Fraud requires deception. Nobody thinks the bank takes their money and locks it in the vault.

Well, if their current account contract says that you can withdraw any amount anytime, and they do not possess the capability of making good of such a promise, it IS fraud.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012
Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.
Yes, the only moral thing was to let banks compete with same terms as the other companies do. You know, it is considered fraud, if you sell something you don't have, eg. banks are doing with their fractional reserve deposits.
Fraud requires deception. Nobody thinks the bank takes their money and locks it in the vault.

This seems to me like the government is defaulting on their deposit insurance obligations. Of course, you can never trust an agreement with the government since the only place you can go to enforce it is ... the government.
donator
As a Finnish taxpayer, I think the deal is good:

- It will reduce the need for taxpayer money in the bailout
- It will reduce the confidence in the banks and the corrupt system as a whole
- It will punish the speculators that have both loans and money in the bank (sucker, your arbitrage just shrank by 990 pips how do you feel about that?)
- Which will further reduce the confidence on any tricks that the banks keep pulling from their hats to tie up your money in their value-reduction schemes such as pension plans, mutual funds, etc.
- It will keep the banks afloat for a few more months and give everybody with a brain a chance to invest in bitcoin.

As an Estonian taxpayer, I think the deal is morally bad, no matter how good is economic "analysis".
There is no defense for armed robbery.
This is akin to blowing up a disco because it is partially owned by a mob - irrespective of the human cost.

Yes, the only moral thing was to let banks compete with same terms as the other companies do. You know, it is considered fraud, if you sell something you don't have, eg. banks are doing with their fractional reserve deposits. To me, the moral alternative would have been to refuse to bail out from day 1, or even better not allow the banks to operate fraudulently.

This goes into the right direction, if my ethics is concerned. Bankruptcy would have been better.
Activity: 62
Merit: 10

- It will punish the speculators that have both loans and money in the bank (sucker, your arbitrage just shrank by 990 pips how do you feel about that?)
- Which will further reduce the confidence on any tricks that the banks keep pulling from their hats to tie up your money in their value-reduction schemes such as pension plans, mutual funds, etc.
- It will keep the banks afloat for a few more months and give everybody with a brain a chance to invest in bitcoin.

As an Estonian taxpayer, I think the deal is morally bad, no matter how good is economic "analysis".
There is no defense for armed robbery.
This is akin to blowing up a disco because it is partially owned by a mob - irrespective of the human cost.
donator

Activity: 672
These southern-tier countries were serial defaulters.  By constantly devaluing their currency and multiple sovereign defaults, interest rates in these countries were very high.  The Euro provided them with a stable currency and lower interest rates.  While this allowed the formerly-poor to achieve a much higher lifestyle, the fact is for the better part of the last 20 years these countries have lived well above their means.  Looks like it might be time to pay the piper and it will not be pretty.
Activity: 561
That's not the only tax they're pushing either.  In April, they're supposed to be taxing people for having spare bedrooms.  If you don't have the required amount of people in your home to fit your rooms, you'll get taxed pretty heavily. 

However, if you live in a mansion, rest assured that you are completely exempt from this tax.  Phew!  Close one, right?  Wouldn't want those millionaires to pay for hundreds of empty rooms.

Here's the article if anyone's missed it.

Meh. The article describes it as a tax, but it is more like a reduction of welfare to people living in larger houses than they need. The article mentions a single, unemployed fellow who, oh noes!, will not be able to afford his two bedroom flat when they reduce his dole. Well shucks, maybe he should get a roommate? They also have an example of a family who are "entitled" to such and such amount, they have four kids and live in a five bedroom place. What, we couldn't possibly have the kids share a bedroom! We are entitled to that money, you can't reduce it!

Right on. The article's main example family has an autistic kid who has a special "sensory room" he can use to get some peace and quiet when he needs it. They are shocked that the gov't seems unwilling to pay for it. One of the parents is even considering taking the extreme step of looking for a paying job. 
Activity: 756
It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye
That's not the only tax they're pushing either.  In April, they're supposed to be taxing people for having spare bedrooms.  If you don't have the required amount of people in your home to fit your rooms, you'll get taxed pretty heavily. 

However, if you live in a mansion, rest assured that you are completely exempt from this tax.  Phew!  Close one, right?  Wouldn't want those millionaires to pay for hundreds of empty rooms.

Here's the article if anyone's missed it.

Meh. The article describes it as a tax, but it is more like a reduction of welfare to people living in larger houses than they need. The article mentions a single, unemployed fellow who, oh noes!, will not be able to afford his two bedroom flat when they reduce his dole. Well shucks, maybe he should get a roommate? They also have an example of a family who are "entitled" to such and such amount, they have four kids and live in a five bedroom place. What, we couldn't possibly have the kids share a bedroom! We are entitled to that money, you can't reduce it!
donator
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
If I was a benevolent dictator of Cyprus, I would buy a bunch of bitcoins quetly, order a shitload of ASIC miners and adopt Bitcoin as reserve currency while using a state issued currency (Drahma?) in interim. Though risking US/Turkish invasion is not a small feat.
There was recently one benevolent dictator who did not push his people into debt to international bankers, held lots of gold, and worked on gold-backed pan-African currency. Armed rebelion was organized and supported by several powerful countries, and he and most of his familiy was ultimately murdered.

This way The New Order is being built. It's sad, but any honest and independent leader like Gaddafy will be smashed by The Global Corporation which is going to rule our planet.
And recent action of EU with Cyprus has just created a precedent and showed us our place in this word. Private property is not more private. We don't own our money, we only lease it with a wide set of restrictions from the government.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
In the US, they would just print 11.1% more money. Same effect, but people don't realize.

If is not the effect at all. The credit card balances, mortgages etc are not affected at all only the savings are impacted. So if someone has 100,000 EUR in the bank and a 100,000 EUR mortgage. The mortgage stays the same but the bank account is now 91100 EUR. This is way worse that simply printing 11.1% more money.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
I do not think that there was another real option for cyprus. The whole bank system in cyprus would crash and then all the money would be lost. Now are "only" 9.9% affected.

Cyprus cannot just print more money so what else should they do?

Um, let's see.  Stop spending so much money?  Cut extravagant social programs they could never have afforded anyway?

Pfft RIDICULOUS! Then those in power would be blamed and tossed out of office. They'd lose power.
legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
I do not think that there was another real option for cyprus. The whole bank system in cyprus would crash and then all the money would be lost. Now are "only" 9.9% affected.

Um, let's see.  Stop spending so much money?  Cut extravagant social programs they could never have afforded anyway?
Activity: 124
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 916
Merit: 1003
I have to admit that when I read OP's post my first thought was it was something from Alex Jones/prisonplanet.

The story seems legit.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
It's not your money in that bank account; it's their money. You don't issue it, you don't own it, you don't control it. You are simply allowed to use it under strict terms of those who issue it, own it, and control it.

Bitcoin, on the other hand...

this!
Activity: 812
Merit: 1001
-
indeed, it's a good thing I am not the benevolent dictator.

It is much safer to accept whatever bribe in form of cushy well paid job in Brussels a few years down the road in exchange for betraying your people.
Pages:
Jump to: