Pages:
Author

Topic: Expedia Starts Accepting Bitcoin for Hotel Bookings - page 2. (Read 4812 times)

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
I never heard of Google flights. They need to get on the ball like Expedia and accept my btc!
You should check it out. It's amazing. However they do not sell tickets. They do what Google does best, they just show where the best price is.

https://www.google.com/flights/
Activity: 518
Merit: 501
I never heard of Google flights. They need to get on the ball like Expedia and accept my btc!
legendary
I'm buying some tickets for the mid-east (Jordan) later this week, maybe I'll try these guys out and see what kind of price I can get?

QUOTE FROM BELOW:
I think it's hotels only for now.

Aww, that's the least useful part of their service.  Undecided

It's basically the only part they make money on.  I think they -might- get $5 per plane ticket, some none.  Same with car rentals.  Hotels they have deals with the sites to get a nice spread on -some- of the hotels, some no spread whatsoever.  Thin margin business for sure.

Ah, that makes sense. Frankly, since google flights I never use anything else for air tickets. I consistently find crazy low prices via google flights. 
Activity: 994
I'm buying some tickets for the mid-east (Jordan) later this week, maybe I'll try these guys out and see what kind of price I can get?

QUOTE FROM BELOW:

It's basically the only part they make money on.  I think they -might- get $5 per plane ticket, some none.  Same with car rentals.  Hotels they have deals with the sites to get a nice spread on -some- of the hotels, some no spread whatsoever.  Thin margin business for sure.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
legendary

QUOTE FROM BELOW:

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
If Expedia is smart and a tad risky they would hold those coins and profit from it later on down the road.

No way is any company of scale going to keep 100%, and I'd be surprised at > 1%. BTC economy is tiny, and these companies have real fiat overhead to be concerned with. They are not investors, IMO.
If Expedia is smart and a tad risky they would hold those coins and profit from it later on down the road.
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
I can't imagine but a relatively small team is involved with the bitcoin process (from Expedia). Don't they process through Bitpay or something?

Have to be either bitpay or coinbase.
am
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
This reminds me of how travel became the first real category (excluding media) where folks were willing to use the Internet to pay for something tangible. It could definitely have a positive effect on the adoption but then again, we will need to wait for others to follow suit before we can judge.
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
I can't imagine but a relatively small team is involved with the bitcoin process (from Expedia). Don't they process through Bitpay or something?
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
It's Money 2.0| It’s gold for nerds | It's Bitcoin
Seems to not have boosted the price. I hope not too many people start booking vacations on Expedia and it starts suppressing the price...

When companies accept bitcoin they will often sell the bitcoin in exchange for fiat as they must pay most of their bill in fiat.

Expedia must hire (or use existing) employees to manage the bitcoin process, monitoring sales, selling the bitcoin to pay it's fiat bills, explaining how the process works to customers, ect.

These employees will see how well bitcoin works in general and would possible become adapters of bitcoin themselves.

I didn't even think about the individuals within the company that would could potentially be new players just because of their companies choice to accept BTC. Nice pointing that out  Grin

Why thank you. Although this would be a relatively small number of people, I would think that anyone at the company that deals with the bitcoin side of things would almost certainly be at the very least get interested in Bitcoin
Seems to not have boosted the price. I hope not too many people start booking vacations on Expedia and it starts suppressing the price...

When companies accept bitcoin they will often sell the bitcoin in exchange for fiat as they must pay most of their bill in fiat.

Expedia must hire (or use existing) employees to manage the bitcoin process, monitoring sales, selling the bitcoin to pay it's fiat bills, explaining how the process works to customers, ect.

These employees will see how well bitcoin works in general and would possible become adapters of bitcoin themselves.

I didn't even think about the individuals within the company that would could potentially be new players just because of their companies choice to accept BTC. Nice pointing that out  Grin

Activity: 994

As a few others have pointed out, its not about this news will or will not effect the short term price of Bitcoin, its about Bitcoin, albeit slowly, getting more and more mainstream companies to accept it as payment.  Overstock was a good start because they are $350MM publicly traded stock.  Dish was another nice announcement (especially if AT&T buys them).  Now Expedia is another major publicly traded stock valued at nearly $10 Billion that will start accepting Bitcoin.  Wider acceptance is what we want Bitcoin to do right now.  Price increase will follow, not immediately, but eventually.
Activity: 406
Activity: 378
good choice expedia, i'm sure i book hotel room using bitcoin with them
since i don't use credit card, bitcoin is really good solution
by the way, which bitcoin exchange prices do they referred?
I think the news will pick this up and thus will bring more users seeking to use/understand bitcoin and jump on the train before it leaves the station. Maybe by the end of the month btc will be in the 700's Smiley
yeah i hope so, $700 is good price for bitcoin Grin
Activity: 138
Merit: 10
Yet another big company accepting Bitcoin. This is looking good.
Activity: 153
Merit: 100
Just a matter of time before more merchant accepting bitcoin.
In regards to the poll, it seems we've dropped below even the lowest estimate. Goes to show you the unrealistic expectations piled onto this kind of news.

Exactly. People holding bitcoin is gambling right now.

The price of bitcoin often can have very wild swings.

This is still a very short time period to be looking at the price of bitcoin.

The poll is really geared towards the longer term price.

No one can tell what happen tomorrow let alone long term trend of bitcoin.

This is true but you can look at the current situation to help get a good idea
Pages:
Jump to: