Pages:
Author

Topic: Faith in a higher power. - page 3. (Read 4756 times)

legendary
Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001
March 02, 2012, 07:14:10 PM
Religion <> Theism

You can be a theist without belonging to a religion. IMHO it is the even the most rational position.

I would order from most to least rational position:
Theism > Atheism > Religion

How is theism, believing that an event is supernatural until it is explained through natural processes, more rational than atheism, believing that we don't understand the event until we can explain it through natural processes?

I'm not talking about explaining an event as supernatural. I am talking about a general worldview. More precisely it is "Pantheism", or even more precisely the Conscious Universe model. The reason it is more rational is because it explains all the phenomena, ie. all the anomalous data, instead of ignoring them.

Religious worldviews are logically inconsistent and mostly irrational, relying on blind faith. I think we can agree on that. Atheists (more precisely Physicalists) believe in mainstream science, which is good because it is an improvement over Religion. The only problem is that is fails to acknowledge that mainstream science is also being manipulative or ignorant to some degree when it chooses to ignore "put off" all the evidence that supports conspiracy theories and paranormal phenomena. This is not being scientific, it is being willfully ignorant at the least. It is excusable though because it is a psychological hurdle that many people - including mainstream scientists - fail to overcome.

The Conscious Universe model incorporates these "anomalies" into a complete worldview that is logical and explains everything. Part of this model is the idea that Consciousness is fundamental property of the Universe, and that the Universe was created in conscious manner.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
March 02, 2012, 03:37:15 PM
Religion <> Theism

You can be a theist without belonging to a religion. IMHO it is the even the most rational position.

How is theism, believing that an event is supernatural until it is explained through natural processes, more rational than atheism, believing that we don't understand the event until we can explain it through natural processes?
legendary
Activity: 1145
Merit: 1001
March 02, 2012, 03:03:33 PM
Religion <> Theism

Activity: 900
Merit: 1000
Crypto Geek
March 01, 2012, 06:49:29 PM
religion has a lot of corruption from it's power but it's still a useful resource

There's a lot of misunderstood things in life that could  be attributed to god but can they equally be labelled as natual processes;

i.e. Pray to god for something could be law of attraction rather god... Could be.

For me, religion and atheism seem to fit side by side peacefully no worries with no dualistic thinking of does god exist etc

Sit on the fence to stay productive
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
March 01, 2012, 06:27:25 PM
I have faith that Bitcoin will not survive in space because it takes too long to send block data between Earth and Mars (between 4 and 21 minutes), but I have faith we'll figure something out, and that Gavin is already on top of that serious and urgent problem  Grin

Mining would simply be infeasible to bootstrap on Mars.  Martians could still broadcast their transactions back to Earth, but miners would just have their blocks rejected unless they could outrun all the miners on Earth.  Maybe as more miners get rich and move to Mars, the Earth hashrate will decrease enough that all the miners who have already made it to Mars will be enough to overtake the Earth blockchain.  They could also have a MarsCoin and an exchange with Bitcoin since it takes up to an additional 42 minutes to reach X confirmations (21 minutes to broadcast transaction to earth, 21 minute delay on receiving blocks).  This would help reduce the transmission costs since it takes a lot of power to send data so far.

Of course, all this is moot if we are able to develop faster-than-light communications by manipulating quantum entanglement effects.
legendary
March 01, 2012, 06:05:07 PM
I have faith that Bitcoin will not survive in space because it takes too long to send block data between Earth and Mars (between 4 and 21 minutes), but I have faith we'll figure something out, and that Gavin is already on top of that serious and urgent problem  Grin
legendary
March 01, 2012, 05:54:45 PM
I have faith in SHA 256

I have faith SHA256 will be worthless for bitcoin within 3 decades, likely 2.  I also have faith we will transition away from it before this point and the bitcoin blockchain will still be secure.
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
March 01, 2012, 05:15:41 PM
so you can have more mining rigs... Tongue
legendary
March 01, 2012, 04:36:43 PM
Choice enables but should it be therefore restricted?

No, just enlightened.
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}
March 01, 2012, 04:20:37 PM
Some would say the first enable the second. And worse, the third  Undecided
Well, first live enables it all. How about stopping there?
Enabling is slightly different from forcing. Choice is an important part here.
Choice enables but should it be therefore restricted?
legendary
March 01, 2012, 12:22:09 PM
i do not mind if people are religous, its when they push it on me...religious people no problems...bible pushers ug...
 Tongue
Some would say the first enable the second. And worse, the third  Undecided
March 01, 2012, 12:04:14 PM
i do not mind if people are religous, its when they push it on me...religious people no problems...bible pushers ug...
 Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
March 01, 2012, 11:02:49 AM
I have faith in SHA 256
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
February 29, 2012, 10:33:20 PM
Faith in a
nope
higher power
maybe

overall: no
legendary
February 29, 2012, 09:36:30 PM
I'm liking these poll results
legendary
February 29, 2012, 10:54:36 AM
Higher power,  maybe.

Religion,  no way.

Higher power, absolutely

Religion, only with several truckloads of salt and a serious cross-cultural comparison
Activity: 532
February 29, 2012, 05:46:41 AM
lulz
Activity: 378
February 26, 2012, 07:23:12 AM
Higher power,  maybe.

Religion,  no way.
Activity: 420
bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}
February 26, 2012, 07:03:42 AM
What do you ask for? Are you asking at all?
Faith in a higher power.
This is rather an assertion than something which is usually preceding a wobbly phallus underlayed with a dot.

p.s.
I have faith in my chainsaw. Ask those trees or better the rest of them which have not yet went through the chimney.
The sun is not stronger than me as I can safely hide in a cave.
February 25, 2012, 10:06:16 PM
yes

simple answer
Pages:
Jump to: