Pages:
Author

Topic: Fake volume in exchanges - page 6. (Read 1117 times)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
August 01, 2018, 10:46:35 AM
Found an interesting article in which one guy did some datamining on some popular exchanges and their volumes:

https://medium.com/@sylvainartplayribes/chasing-fake-volume-a-crypto-plague-ea1a3c1e0b5e

Apparently a few of these giants are falsifying their volumes. Maybe because a higher market cap would make people think it's a more trustworthy exchange? I don't know if it's really worth going through all of that effort.

Would this have a major effect on the prices? I know we used to see huge differences in prices in the past, but now you won't see much more than a few percent here and there between exchanges.

interesting, but many of that volume is caused by bots... you just have no time to react, and your PC has no way how to display that on time ))) but yeah there are exchange that are really abusing with fake volume, my personal best is bitforex )))
Activity: 49
Merit: 1
August 01, 2018, 10:39:27 AM
This is disturbing, it makes the case for regulated exchanges...

It doesn't affect the market cap or price directly, but higher volumes can have a few effects:

All these new exchanges are looking to attract new customers, so they try to fake their volume to appear higher in lists of top exchanges.

Altcoins too will try to pump up their daily volume to try to appear to be a good and stable coin.

Scammers trying to make a coin appear to be good or bad can generate a steady stream of fake buy/sell to themselves to try to push the price in the direction they want.

The moral of this story is: don't trust the volume!
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
August 01, 2018, 09:38:10 AM
Found an interesting article in which one guy did some datamining on some popular exchanges and their volumes:

https://medium.com/@sylvainartplayribes/chasing-fake-volume-a-crypto-plague-ea1a3c1e0b5e

Apparently a few of these giants are falsifying their volumes. Maybe because a higher market cap would make people think it's a more trustworthy exchange? I don't know if it's really worth going through all of that effort.

Would this have a major effect on the prices? I know we used to see huge differences in prices in the past, but now you won't see much more than a few percent here and there between exchanges.
Pages:
Jump to: