Pages:
Author

Topic: Feds Developing Technology to Detect Obesity from Your Picture - page 2. (Read 2277 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 504
If the information is being stored and used to prohibit people in any way then I don't support it and it's likely going to be flawed on some way that will have a negative impact on many people in some from or fashion.

Maybe those people could get off their asses and get some exercise. I'm tired of society pretending obese people are not obese. Ever try being sandwiched between two obese people on a plane? Or paying the same for a ticket as someone 4 times your weight?

So your answer is for the governments to step in and control everyone's diets and then punish anybody who doesn't meet their criteria for a healthy person?  Where do you think it will end once we head down that road and is your freedom really worth the extra room on a plane ride?  Don't you think it is a little unfair to force this type of thing on people for such a silly reason?

Kind of reminds you from that scene in 'Idiocracy' where the police are there to "make sure" that prostitutes "put out" by watching you performing the act
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
So your answer is for the governments to step in and control everyone's diets and then punish anybody who doesn't meet their criteria for a healthy person?  Where do you think it will end once we head down that road and is your freedom really worth the extra room on a plane ride?  Don't you think it is a little unfair to force this type of thing on people for such a silly reason?

To be honest I agree with all your points Smiley

Anyway, I dunno about government, but insurance companies should definitely be charging obese people higher premiums, airlines should charge passengers for tickets by the pound (both body weight and luggage), etc. Government probably should just stay out of the way of companies doing such things, and maybe work on outreach/labeling/education explaining the negative health effects of obesity, similar to what they do with smoking. All that has little to do with this thread though, as any entity that would want to treat you differently based on your weight already has adequate ways to find out what you weigh...
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
If the information is being stored and used to prohibit people in any way then I don't support it and it's likely going to be flawed on some way that will have a negative impact on many people in some from or fashion.

Maybe those people could get off their asses and get some exercise. I'm tired of society pretending obese people are not obese. Ever try being sandwiched between two obese people on a plane? Or paying the same for a ticket as someone 4 times your weight?

So your answer is for the governments to step in and control everyone's diets and then punish anybody who doesn't meet their criteria for a healthy person?  Where do you think it will end once we head down that road and is your freedom really worth the extra room on a plane ride?  Don't you think it is a little unfair to force this type of thing on people for such a silly reason?

Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
I don't like the idea of this, I think there are far better ways  to protect the publics health.  If the plan is to only use this as a tool to make an individual aware of their own personal health then I like it.  If the information is being stored and used to prohibit people in any way then I don't support it and it's likely going to be flawed on some way that will have a negative impact on many people in some from or fashion.
Activity: 700
One day you will recieve a letter along the lines of

Dear Sir/Madam
We noticed from our analytic scans that you are over our prescribed weight limit for your coverage since we the government care about your health and well being we will give you funds to go exercise, if you do not comply or wish to do so then we will remove you from health coverage or you will be asked to pay a higher premium based on your BMI index risk of launching a claim.
If I can detect obesity from a picture, I'm pretty sure anyone in the govt can also. So again, why is this such a feat?

Presumably because it won't be a person looking at a picture, but an algorithm that can be part of an app on your smartphone or whatever. Developing an algorithm that can accurately determine someone's BMI to within say +/- 5 or 10 % by only analyzing a photograph of their face sounds non-trivial.

Ah - I missed that. So it's like machine facial recognition?

I assume so. Probably try to correlate facial features to BMI in some way.

That being said, I'm unsure of the usefulness of technology... as anyone curious enough to bother downloading an app to check their weight or BMI can just as easily go stand on a scale. I suppose it could be useful for online dating as mentioned in the OP... if it can accurately tell you that those people that post photos only of their face really are obese.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
If I can detect obesity from a picture, I'm pretty sure anyone in the govt can also. So again, why is this such a feat?

Presumably because it won't be a person looking at a picture, but an algorithm that can be part of an app on your smartphone or whatever. Developing an algorithm that can accurately determine someone's BMI to within say +/- 5 or 10 % by only analyzing a photograph of their face sounds non-trivial.

Ah - I missed that. So it's like machine facial recognition?

donator
Poor impulse control.
I'm pretty sure I can detect obesity from your picture. Why is this such an amazing feat?

It's an amazing feat because unlike you, the government has ways to make money off it

I don't get it; we can already calculate BMI, so anyone who wants to know, can know.  It seems like they're trying to create a database, and didn't want to ask people to submit a picture of themselves directly.
Exactly. The want to collect more without your permission. Databases of personal information are worth millions.

Reminds me of my first domain purchase. The government wanted my personal info stored on their servers in exchange for a domain. The WHOIS police apparently forces you to put up your personal information where anybody can view it, then charges you for anonymizing it.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
I don't get it; we can already calculate BMI, so anyone who wants to know, can know.  It seems like they're trying to create a database, and didn't want to ask people to submit a picture of themselves directly.
Exactly. The want to collect more without your permission. Databases of personal information are worth millions.
I'm pretty sure I can detect obesity from your picture. Why is this such an amazing feat?

It's an amazing feat because unlike you, the government has ways to make money off it
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

The more data they get the better. Fingerprints are not enough. Photo ID is not enough. DNA is not enough.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
The government already has a database of pictures of people (drivers licenses, passport photos). A person's weight is self reported and is likely not accurate.
Activity: 143
Merit: 100
American Politician's funding "pork barrel" project's.  Tongue 
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
donator
Poor impulse control.
Public health surveillance?
Welcome to 1984
The government is paying for your healthcare now after all! By doing so you give them a direct line to all of your most personal information, including your bank accounts as  well as health data. Too bad they have to take your money first to have an excuse and revenue to do this.

That only happens in developed countries
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 2008
First Exclusion Ever
Public health surveillance?
Welcome to 1984
The government is paying for your healthcare now after all! By doing so you give them a direct line to all of your most personal information, including your bank accounts as  well as health data. Too bad they have to take your money first to have an excuse and revenue to do this.
Pages:
Jump to: