Pages:
Author

Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1 - page 15. (Read 29212 times)

Activity: 132
Merit: 10
July 29, 2017, 08:08:36 AM
seems like a really smart investment however i look at it, yet still I can't seem to decide. I wish I could know if they were still going to be on sale in september...

and I wish somebody could decide for me Cheesy Cheesy
Activity: 134
Merit: 100
July 29, 2017, 06:31:47 AM
I'm consulting on the ASIC design here - it's currently in progress.

Welcome to the thread.

Is there anything you can share regarding the progress of this ASIC is it on schedule? Isthe 250 GH rate speculation, or based on something more concrete? Is  development in line with the original schedule.

Any insight you can share would be greaty appreciated...
July 29, 2017, 05:37:54 AM
Very itriguing. Pretty sick gamble. Do they have a working prototype already or are they still scratching their heads and trying to figure it out ? And if it goes south there is no chance whatsoever of getting your money back ? I mean.. world of crypto is changing pretty fast and 1 year is long time...

The last I heard from their slack / reddit thread is that they were designing the chip, and that the SC1 will be able to do 250 GH /s, instead of the original conservative 100gh/s promised before they opened pre-sale orders. A lot of people made the point that if a couple thousand ASICs are unleashed on the network, it doesn't really matter how powerful they are... they'll just be competing over the same block rewards, but I don't think that's the case. Some GPUs are still likely to mine against superior technology, the way that old scrypt and sha asics continue to mine. This upgrade in hashrate should bring the gpu miners' percentage, as well as discourage competition.

Yes, a year is a long time (tho it is already a month sooner), but the future does happen. I suppose they could butterfly labs the presale buyers, but I don't know. The Obelisk company has the same development team as the coin itself, and they've been pretty active and open, especially compared to most other cryptos.

I suppose we'll see, but if they deliver, It could be a pretty good way to secure a near mining monopoly on an up and coming coin, while the other asic algos get saturated with hardware...

Just my 2 satoshis...
Activity: 630
Merit: 502
July 29, 2017, 05:30:57 AM
*goes to preorder*
Sees "*orders are estimated to ship by June, 2018."
Me: ...
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
July 29, 2017, 01:11:47 AM
were is this miner available to order?

https://obelisk.tech

There is also a calculator that estimates ~150,000 SC a month. At current price of ~.005 that is $750 a month.
Do you have calculated the diff in next time after Asic release? I think if have Asic for mining Sia the diff mining will increasing very more, as other crypto the profit will decreasing soon.

Yeah, because you can calculate the diff based on unknown hashrate - that'll work just fine. Tongue
July 29, 2017, 05:14:40 AM

Obelisk.tech
Activity: 560
Merit: 250
July 29, 2017, 01:29:39 AM
When i can see obelisk sc1?
Activity: 81
Merit: 1002
It was only the wind.
July 29, 2017, 12:34:57 AM
I'm consulting on the ASIC design here - it's currently in progress.
Activity: 676
Merit: 500
July 29, 2017, 12:44:08 AM

There is also a calculator that estimates ~150,000 SC a month. At current price of ~.005 that is $750 a month.
Do you have calculated the diff in next time after Asic release? I think if have Asic for mining Sia the diff mining will increasing very more, as other crypto the profit will decreasing soon.
Activity: 196
July 29, 2017, 12:05:55 AM
I think the dev team should disclose the progress and at least concept design of the machine Grin
Activity: 336
July 29, 2017, 12:01:17 AM
Very itriguing. Pretty sick gamble. Do they have a working prototype already or are they still scratching their heads and trying to figure it out ? And if it goes south there is no chance whatsoever of getting your money back ? I mean.. world of crypto is changing pretty fast and 1 year is long time...
Activity: 122
July 28, 2017, 11:55:56 PM

Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
July 28, 2017, 11:42:39 PM
What are you all estimating as profitability for this miner?
Activity: 264
July 28, 2017, 10:53:07 PM
July 28, 2017, 10:04:57 PM
I have been checking the obelisk website frequently in the past couple of days and the order number doesn't seem like it's moving from 1350.

I'm seriously considering buying one, but I'm waiting for this slump in prices to pass...

Do you people think they will last?

Not sure. I have 2 on order, but the lack of updating unit counts and info about them at least trying to get mh from 100mh to 250mh and other info on their main website, well it holds me back from getting more. A sign perhaps that intent is good, but they are in over their heads, imho, at the moment.

The price of siacoin tanking is not helping. 💩

I hear ya... I mean, I think they just launched an update recently,which may explainntheir delay in unit sales updating... and I thought they already confirmed the 250 GH/S spec...

Personally, I want the Sia price to be down... and their asic sales lackluster... it'll give me a chance to pick up a few more, as well as discourage other ASIC manufacturers from entering the BLAKE (2b) algo marketplace.

But it's possible I'm being delusional, and overly optimistic... I wouldn't put it past me...
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
July 28, 2017, 08:03:18 PM
I have been checking the obelisk website frequently in the past couple of days and the order number doesn't seem like it's moving from 1350.

I'm seriously considering buying one, but I'm waiting for this slump in prices to pass...

Not sure. I have 2 on order, but the lack of updating unit counts and info about them at least trying to get mh from 100mh to 250mh and other info on their main website, well it holds me back from getting more. A sign perhaps that intent is good, but they are in over their heads, imho, at the moment.

The price of siacoin tanking is not helping. 💩
Activity: 132
Merit: 10
July 28, 2017, 06:36:45 PM

Activity: 952
Merit: 508
July 28, 2017, 09:30:49 AM
It is safe to order this miner? How can I be sure that they won't run with my money.

The parent company making this miner is in the USA and so is the company designing the miner.

Can they run with your money? Absolutely. but it's a lot harder to do in the USA.

If you read through all the info out there you will find that they have private backing for this miner and they opted to make a public sale to get it in the hands of the public and not just large investors/big mines.

Disclaimer: This is my speculation.
I believe it's happening regardless of what the public does, whatever is left of unfulfilled orders I expect they will just fill by selling to these private investors.

Activity: 6
Merit: 0
July 28, 2017, 08:23:27 AM
It is safe to order this miner? How can I be sure that they won't run with my money.

No it's a high risk. You have got to trust the Team and have faith in what they are doing.
If you do there is a Chance you can make a good profit. But nothing is for sure.
July 28, 2017, 05:55:04 AM
This article about the future of Siacoin is pretty bullish.

http://news.sys-con.com/node/4127259

Sia ---------> moon...
Pages:
Jump to: