Pages:
Author

Topic: First Asic for SIA - Obelisk SC1 - page 18. (Read 29212 times)

Activity: 134
Merit: 100
July 16, 2017, 06:06:02 PM
They recently announced in slack that the ASIC will reach a minimum of 250GH/s according to their internal reports.

They should have said the miner would be 250000000000000gh/s, I guess it can't be helped they are desperate as siacoin price is crashing and nobody is pre-ordering their scam hehe

Out of curiosity, is your scam accusation based on anything concrete, or just speculation? Unlike any other scam asic pre-order, this is coming from the coin's developers. Are you saying that Siacoin in general is a scam?

Also, team Obelisk said that their predictions were all conservative low ball estimates, that they would keep everybody informed to their developments. This is also true of the 12 month lead time.

I am not trying to drink the proverbial kool-aid. I just want to know if you've considered these factors, or were privy to new info before we burn the witch...
Activity: 952
Merit: 508
July 16, 2017, 05:48:38 PM

"We still plan to ship by June 2018 at the latest" !

So one has to wait a year for this miner possibly ?

yupp, and people who paid for a minebox (their last money grab) months ago are still getting the run around, months behind their last "latest by" delivery and nothing but promises made for their future...

but hey thats how robbing paul to deliver peter's machines works right? Cheesy

and yet people buy....  

crypto is funny ahha
Is minerbox connected with the SIA team? I was under the impression that they are not affiliated

Minebox is not connected directly to SIA as far as I know but they do have a partnership with HP Enterprise.

? they used a HP NAS for the minebox..., but it was MY understanding they have NO official partnership with HP, do you have a source for that? :/

It's like when a coin uses Azure and says they have "partnership with Microsoft Azure" lol

Minebox had a booth in a recent HP Enterprise event in Vegas to my understanding, https://www.minebox.io/blog/minebox-hpe-discover-las-vegas/
Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
July 16, 2017, 02:55:20 PM
They recently announced in slack that the ASIC will reach a minimum of 250GH/s according to their internal reports.

They should have said the miner would be 250000000000000gh/s, I guess it can't be helped they are desperate as siacoin price is crashing and nobody is pre-ordering their scam hehe
July 16, 2017, 02:21:26 PM
Also this statement from a SiaCoin developer caught my eye...

"We are committed to producing and shipping theObelisk units, even if we stop at 1250 sales"

The ironic thing is, that just makes me want to buy more. Obelisk patrons want their SC1 Asics to be powerful and few...

Great quote, where did you source that one from?

I found it on the top of this Reddit thread... seems to have also been posted on Slack... but i'm kind of allergic to slack.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6msupo/obelisk_can_reach_250ghs_now/
legendary
Activity: 1820
Merit: 1092
~Full-Time Minter since 2016~
July 16, 2017, 01:48:14 PM

"We still plan to ship by June 2018 at the latest" !

So one has to wait a year for this miner possibly ?

yupp, and people who paid for a minebox (their last money grab) months ago are still getting the run around, months behind their last "latest by" delivery and nothing but promises made for their future...

but hey thats how robbing paul to deliver peter's machines works right? Cheesy

and yet people buy....  

crypto is funny ahha
Is minerbox connected with the SIA team? I was under the impression that they are not affiliated

Minebox is not connected directly to SIA as far as I know but they do have a partnership with HP Enterprise.

? they used a HP NAS for the minebox..., but it was MY understanding they have NO official partnership with HP, do you have a source for that? :/

It's like when a coin uses Azure and says they have "partnership with Microsoft Azure" lol
July 16, 2017, 08:06:40 AM

"We are committed to producing and shipping theObelisk units, even if we stop at 1250 sales"

The ironic thing is, that just makes me want to buy more. Obelisk patrons want their SC1 Asics to be powerful and few...

Great quote, where did you source that one from?
Activity: 93
Merit: 10
July 16, 2017, 06:48:35 AM
Once the ASICs ship, even only 1200 of them, it will increase the difficulty and be enough to push GPU miners to find a more profitable coin for them.  At that point since the ASICs are homogeneous in terms of hash rate, the won't matter what that rate is (as long as it was high enough to push the GPUs out).  At that point each miner will earn on average 1 / * block reward.  Hash rate is not part of that formula.  Hash rate will cause the difficulty to rise, but nothing else will change.

Later, if there is a generation 2 Obelisk, or someone else enters the Sia ASIC market, it gets interesting as the formula gets complicated and see start to see concerns about hash rate / watt, etc..
July 16, 2017, 04:10:50 AM

July 16, 2017, 04:05:11 AM

Wow, that's great news. At first I thought that wouldn't really change the ASIC's profitability because everybody would have the same hashrate, but according to this REDDIT thread, that's not the case.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.reddit.com/r/siacoin/comments/6msupo/obelisk_can_reach_250ghs_now/

ROI per Obelisk won't change if all Obelisks have an higher hashrate. Just saying since some might expect 2.5 times the number of coins..

u/PizzaTucker

Jul 12, 2017, 5:04 AM

It might if the ASICs collectively manage to push away more gpus by making mining unprofitable for them.

u/mtlynch

Jul 12, 2017, 5:11 AM

I think it actually does. The first 4,000 Obelisks will now have a hash rate of 1 PH/s instead of 400 TH/s.

Total hashrate of the network right now is 353 TH/s. If Obelisks were released today, they'd make up 74% of the total hash rate, whereas at 100 GH/s, they'd only make up 53% of the total hash rate.

The increase in ROI should be even more significant in 8-10 months when the total non-Obelisk hash rate is larger.

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
July 15, 2017, 03:18:13 PM
Activity: 405
Merit: 136
July 15, 2017, 08:41:01 AM
I don't know if anybody else saw this. but they just announced the very first Asic for SIA, called the Obelisk SC1.

If it's really then should buy some SIA and hold. Just remember DASH last year, when the x11 ASICs annouced the price skyrocket in 6 month after that
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
July 15, 2017, 05:05:43 AM
Well I took a chance on two of these Obelisk SC-1 beasties....

I looked at another one (maybe..just to look) and a big difference between the ave price on the other two
of I think it was 0.976 btc vs the 1.235 btc (19% increase) that I'd pay today at $2,053 btc.

ugg..that is ugly Sad

Brad

I think they're taking usd via bank transfer now, but I guess you're trying to put your crypto to work.

They'll still be for sale after August 1st, when I suspect btc will rebound somewhat once FUD runs out.

So I gather they are taking BOTH now? Wire Xfer and BTC?

But yeah, main reason for me to get the Obelisk SC-1 miners was for equipment write off into next year...too much mining revenue...and as to my mining.....well,  hell even
and idiot like me can do well, if LTC mining goes from $4.15 to $56 bucks per LTC...(now it is $40.10 per LTC as we speak)...thus scrambling for equipment that makes at
least SOME sense ....

Trying to not give ALL my money to the IRS ..so did this as a 'hedge' (in my feeble justifications for all equipment buys) ..but now ...if BTC keeps dumping....well damn...I did not expect to
have to hedge....against BTC dumping......but here we are Sad

July 15, 2017, 05:02:32 AM

I looked at another one (maybe..just to look) and a big difference between the ave price on the other two
of I think it was 0.976 btc vs the 1.235 btc (19% increase) that I'd pay today at $2,053 btc.

ugg..that is ugly Sad

Brad

I think they're taking usd via bank transfer now, but I guess you're trying to put your crypto to work.

They'll still be for sale after August 1st, when I suspect btc will rebound somewhat once FUD runs out.
copper member
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1465
Clueless!
July 15, 2017, 04:47:05 AM

ugg..that is ugly Sad

Brad
Activity: 147
July 15, 2017, 01:46:31 AM
This link is hysterical. The comments section is more interesting and (much) more informed than the article itself. Made me proud of my crypto brethren...

https://themerkle.com/what-is-the-obelisk-sc1-asic-miner/

Exactly!

This is my favorite all-time typo.
You can also pay by wife transfer.
Activity: 252
July 14, 2017, 10:49:24 PM
This link is hysterical. The comments section is more interesting and (much) more informed than the article itself. Made me proud of my crypto brethren...

Exactly!
July 14, 2017, 10:14:25 PM

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
July 14, 2017, 06:28:30 PM
Anybody care to guess how long it will take for this SC1 batch to sell out? It's been stuck at 1260 / 4000 for a few days now...

With siacoin prices as it is, forever and since this will be an asic coin then rest in peace.
July 14, 2017, 06:09:02 PM
Anybody care to guess how long it will take for this SC1 batch to sell out? It's been stuck at 1260 / 4000 for a few days now...
July 11, 2017, 09:12:23 AM
lol, so much fun, now you trolls probably will all want refund hehe, if you dont play long then bye bye and by the way as siacoin will be asic only which means, investors will probably never pump this ever again, see, in the end siacoin devs wanted to be greedy and they got burnt hehe

I don't really care one way or another for refund...it serves me better to get equip this year and take the IRS equip deduction and take the revenue next year

just saying a reboot on design to allow more alts to EVENTUALLY be made with their miner using this protocol....might be wise

they'd likely get more $$$ from ASIC miner folk ..and likely these other devs making such coin would not effect the attempts

of why siacoin is made and to be used...

just saying..(of course I know zip at one time I drank the BFL Kool-Aid...so just tossing it out there as an option ..ie reboot for a couple months)

brad

I agree here, they are still in design phase, it definitely seems like they can design it to do all Blake Algos + Optimize it for SIA but they are choosing not to.

I'll be interested to see if they decide to re-think that decision.
Pages:
Jump to: