Pages:
Author

Topic: firstbits.com website down - page 2. (Read 1569 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
April 09, 2013, 03:36:41 PM
The current site owner no longer has interest in maintaining the site.  I am talking to him about taking it over and getting it back up and running!
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
April 09, 2013, 03:35:41 PM
its been gone for weeks bro
Activity: 792
Merit: 1000
Bite me
April 09, 2013, 07:00:57 AM
yeah I may edit my profile ....
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060
March 31, 2013, 02:19:29 AM
still down
Activity: 16
Merit: 0
March 16, 2013, 03:42:22 PM
As far as I understand, there is no need (or possibility) to register at firstbits.  All you do is use the address in a transaction that makes it into the blockchain.  That's it.  If you're the first one to use a certain prefix, it's yours.  I am not sure the algorithm they use to decide what the important part of the prefix is exactly.
Activity: 21
Merit: 0
March 16, 2013, 10:43:04 AM
At blockchain.info one of the things you can search for is the firstbits of a BTC address.
I guess the address needs to be registered first at firstbits.com before it will appear in the results at blockchain.info.
(Is this assumption correct?)
I can't do that because for the past 3 days (probably longer) firstbits.com has been down.

I do understand each firstbits address needs to have at least one transaction first, which the ones I'm trying to register their firstbits, do have.

They are a couple of Casascius physical bitcoins which on the outside only have the first 8 digits of the public address printed.  So if I were to sell these coins I'd have to also provide the full public addresses so the buyer can look it up on blockchain to be sure the coins are funded.  Or find out how to submit firstbits.

Edit: Even though blockchain.info doesn't find the firstbits (first 8 characters), blockexplorer.com does find it.  Still wondering how to add it to blockchain.info; maybe they are discontinuing firstbits?
Pages:
Jump to: