Pages:
Author

Topic: FPGA Miner Design for Sale to Someone willing to Market It - page 4. (Read 8478 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
Just a little bit of background on us. We are seasoned designers with long job histories with companies like IBM, Altera and others. It is certainly healthy to doubt technologies that seem a bit beyond the curve of today's solutions. But sometimes the right details line up at the right time. As people contact us for more information, they will get to know who we are and see that we are completely up front. We'll start with a demonstration of the design on the development kit, review the code and resulting FPGA tool output for the target device. We'll share documentation, schedules and actual quotes for component pricing.

Laughable.

Such people would just launch a site and mailing list, provide detailed information on a finished product instead of creating a thread in this forum and bragging about made up prices.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
I am glad to see such enthusiasm for our price per performance. However, keep in mind that these are costs to manufacture. The selling price will certainly be higher, depending on the business model that we take. Please stop asking to buy one (or many!) as we only have a proof-of-concept, not an actual product for sale. I would also like to point out that you guys are WAY off on FPGA pricing. I have several direct quotes from FPGA vendors over the years that are far superior to your assumptions. You guys must be looking at pricing from distributors. You have to go direct to get good pricing. Anyway, the point of this post was to look for interested business partners who are willing to work with us to take it to market.

Just a little bit of background on us. We are seasoned designers with long job histories with companies like IBM, Altera and others. It is certainly healthy to doubt technologies that seem a bit beyond the curve of today's solutions. But sometimes the right details line up at the right time. As people contact us for more information, they will get to know who we are and see that we are completely up front. We'll start with a demonstration of the design on the development kit, review the code and resulting FPGA tool output for the target device. We'll share documentation, schedules and actual quotes for component pricing.

You could imagine some interesting go-to-market strategies like self-mining until the difficulty gets too high, then offering the board for sale, etc. We just need someone with the right background and amount of time to take this to market. We're good engineers but we're not ready to take on the full challenges of a new business at this time. I'm sure you can understand that.

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
afik this has todo with the much more useful dsp slices and the more efficient far routing (more so)  in the virtexes.

I seriously doubt the prices as well. On mouser they even offer them in large numbers with an insignificant discount.

high troll factor ITT.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
It's all about the game, and how you play it
That sounds right on the edge of being pratical in place of say a 5870 or 6990 depending on the cost of such a pcb but no way i can see that getting cut down to less than 400 dollars
and how much would those cost exactly?
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
Yup, 750Mh/s on a 240 is pretty easy. On a 195... tight. on a 130 or 75? Doubt it.
are any of the virtex 6 fpga's actually capable of this? i thought they might be using stuff from here but it's not even avlable yet http://www.achronix.com/
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
The only way your numbers add up is if (1) Xilinx is losing enormous amounts of money on you
.... and high fixed costs.

Uh, yeah, that was my point.  If they sold parts to everybody at the price he claims to be getting, Xilinx would be losing enormous amounts of money.
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
 Huh ... sniff, sniff.
i'd dump all my radeons right now if those figures are half right but some proof of existence would help
Activity: 530
Merit: 500
I go to uni sometimes. UK

You might want to re-read the OP with that UK university background in mind.

we're just looking to pass our design on to someone prepared to take it to market

I'd suggest contacting ztex who's already making and reselling a similar product:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/btcminer-open-source-bitcoin-miner-for-ztex-fpga-boards-215-mhs-on-lx150-40047
Activity: 711
ill pay 3000 for the high end board =p
Activity: 63
Merit: 10
Your numbers are so far out of line from what others have previously scoped out using the same hardware platform that I am dubious at best. The Carl Sagan quote "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" comes into play here.

Post some verifiable proof, then folks might actually consider investing.
Activity: 406
Merit: 257
Piling on top of the "These guys are getting completely insane discounts from xilinx or this is BS" crowd.
Activity: 756
It is possible to have huge discounts if there is volume, otherwise it is quite doubtful, maybe the OP can sell a few of their products, I don't mind paying a premium as I do understand that engineering samples cost quite a bit more.  I am willing to buy, test and give feedback here on the forum.
Activity: 451
Me and my wizard buddies have done the same thing.  We are very smart and we have some powerful magic that makes our price point even better.

We only have one board but it does 900 MH/s @ 10 Watts.  Our cost is only $29.95 per board, if we buy two or more.

We are looking for someone to market our boards because we don't like to work too hard.  Wizardry isn't about money anyway.

We can't share anymore details because we haven't made them up yet.  Just send us some money and we will help you put together a good marketing story.

Sam
Activity: 481
Merit: 502
Sounds like a complete scam.
Only 7 posts and ridiculously exaggerated figures.

I'd stay well away from this guy.
Activity: 518
The only way your numbers add up is if (1) Xilinx is losing enormous amounts of money on you

Doubtful. I cant find precise die sizes anywhere, but looking at pictures from various Virtix 6 chips, Im guessing they range somewhere between <200mm and 500m2 (better estimates welcome). At 40nm they arent going to cost xilinx anywhere near those quoted prices to produce them. THe die size and process used match that of typical range from lowend to highend GPU's, and given the nature of FGPA's its almost certainly cheaper to produce them as GPUs (higher yields, due to redudancy, low power etc). List prices may be high, but thats just due to the relatively low volume and high fixed costs.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
Freelance videographer
I like the sound of the entry and higher end FPGA boards.Is there an academic discount for those? As I go to uni sometimes. Still a good price for the power use/performance.Can you ship to UK? I'm interested as long as the prices stay good and that they live up to the claims made on here.Are those boards multi-FPGAs that are also overclocked? Because the pricing seems rather too good to be true.1 of those FPGAs would the equivalent of several GPUs if I had several HD6950s all OC'd (the higher end board would be equivalent to several of those).

Amazing if true.What payments do you take?
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
I want one!
Pages:
Jump to: