Pages:
Author

Topic: friend wants to buy 3 GPU's ... should he ? - page 2. (Read 219 times)

Activity: 21
Merit: 1
September 22, 2021, 10:31:07 AM
what do you mean ?  13 eurocents, comes to around 15 dollarcents per kwh.   is that expensive for US standards ?
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1026
September 22, 2021, 10:09:16 AM
I asked for this to be moved. to alt coin section.

I gave you a merit for your polite reply.

As for should you grab 3x cards if they are full power  for hashing 3080's new in the box with warranty they are an okay buy. assuming the price is not falsely jacked up to crazy numbers.

if they are used with no warranty they are risky.

Also if the gear is going to be mined in California at 40 to 50 cents a kwatt versus New Jersey at 13-16 cents a kwatt they are less attractive.

Thank you for the merit !!

We are actually located in belgium ..   i believe(but would have to check) that i myself pay around 13eurocents per kwh for my apartment, i assume my friend would be around the same price, but will definitely have him check and come back
You have a very expensive electricity price, I would not invest in mining.
If the payback is now 10 months, then you need to count on a payback of 20 months at least. But all mining will depend on the Ethereum coin and when the developers change the mining algorithm.
September 22, 2021, 09:38:07 AM

As for should you grab 3x cards if they are full power  for hashing 3080's new in the box with warranty they are an okay buy. assuming the price is not falsely jacked up to crazy numbers.

Also if the gear is going to be mined in California at 40 to 50 cents a kwatt versus New Jersey at 13-16 cents a kwatt they are less attractive.

Thank you for the merit !!

We are actually located in belgium ..   i believe(but would have to check) that i myself pay around 13eurocents per kwh for my apartment, i assume my friend would be around the same price, but will definitely have him check and come back
legendary
Activity: 2226
Merit: 1304
September 22, 2021, 09:34:03 AM
How much he's going to pay for each card?

Maybe it's worth, depending of buying and electricty costs

3 x 3080s can do 300 Mhs, it's not bad, with warranty as philipma1957 said, can be a good investment, but you should alert him the 10 months ROI could be 12, 16, 24 months...
Another good side is the reselling factor, probably 3080s will hold a good value after some years
legendary
Activity: 4172
Merit: 8075
'The right to privacy matters'
September 22, 2021, 08:34:49 AM

September 22, 2021, 07:05:17 AM
Ah my bad, im sorry,    i thought i was in general mining,   bit see now that we are under the btc section in particular.

Ill check on him with actual CORRECT electricity costs

THX
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
September 22, 2021, 05:34:57 AM
Hi,   my friend is thinking of buying 3 new, non-lhr rtx 3080's

Occording to him, they should pay for itself by around 10 months ...

I personally feel like its probably not worth the hasstle, time, investment, headache, etc...    if we are just talking about just 2 cards making such a small profit after the initial 2 months ...
If it where 10 cards,    i would have probably told him, yea, go for it.

Thoughts,    would you do it , if you had the cards available for purchase ?

Thx in advance for the input

Sam

I can't tell how good or bad are those cards, but:
1. You should ask in Altcoin Mining subforum, since one cannot mine bitcoin with GPU, hence it's the altcoin miners who can actually help.
2. You should tell clearly what's your friend's electricity cost (cents / kWh), because it's important for a (any such) decision.
September 22, 2021, 04:08:24 AM
Hi,   my friend is thinking of buying 3 new, non-lhr rtx 3080's

Occording to him, they should pay for itself by around 10 months ...

I personally feel like its probably not worth the hasstle, time, investment, headache, etc...    if we are just talking about just 2 cards making such a small profit after the initial 2 months ...
If it where 10 cards,    i would have probably told him, yea, go for it.

Thoughts,    would you do it , if you had the cards available for purchase ?

Thx in advance for the input

Sam
Pages:
Jump to: