Pages:
Author

Topic: Gas prices, why do people pay that much more for a "brand" - page 3. (Read 966 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1285
Flying Hellfish is a Commie
Eh. I think a lot of people are stuck in the line of thinking that the brand name is more reliable because they're using 'x companies gas' and they think that other companies may not be as reliable. There may be some truth to this -- as some no name companies may use more bio fuel in their blend of gasoline / diesel (I know this is more present in regards to diesel though)

I think a lot of it is that people have just picked 'their' gas station. I typically go to the same gas station over and over just because of the convenience and how close it is to me, unsure if I'd even save a few bucks by going somewhere else.

Name brands and their marketing does work on people though, rewards programs and all that keep people invested in the brand by using it.

Sometimes people have loyalty cards/discounts that make up at least part of that difference. I haven't seen differences of 20% except for a brief period recently when prices dipped to $1.30 at some gas stations and others held higher, around $2.00, but that's just pandemic panic. Normally the differences are within 5-10% and if you add a loyalty discount and a discounted car wash it becomes negligible or at least enough to make people think it's worth it (the cheaper gas station might have discounts too).

Me personally... cheapest gas from GasBuddy + 5% CC cashback is what I usually do.

"full serve" sounds like NJ, haven't seen that nonsense anywhere else LOL

Yeah I saw this happen a few times near me as well -- only because of the massive volatility in the market which causes some to just not change their prices for a few days and be able to reap the high margin rewards of that.

GasBuddy works though, amazing app. But only when I'm outside of where I live. Not gonna chase a buck or two when I'm coming home tired from work.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
Sometimes people have loyalty cards/discounts that make up at least part of that difference. I haven't seen differences of 20% except for a brief period recently when prices dipped to $1.30 at some gas stations and others held higher, around $2.00, but that's just pandemic panic. Normally the differences are within 5-10% and if you add a loyalty discount and a discounted car wash it becomes negligible or at least enough to make people think it's worth it (the cheaper gas station might have discounts too).

Me personally... cheapest gas from GasBuddy + 5% CC cashback is what I usually do.

I have always see a 10%+ swing all over the place for the 30+years I have been driving. Even with discount cards I can't see it making up that much.
The 20%+ I have seen for years in the middle of nowhere where your choices were a bit more limited but now it seems to be creeping to more populated areas.

There are places on Long Island that are still full serve by order of the town. There are others that are in more expensive areas that have it because it's what people want.
And, it also cuts down on credit card fraud. For some reason people are less likely to use a stolen card when they have to hand it to someone as opposed to just putting it in a card reader.

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org

legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
Not sure where this topic belongs but I figure I'll post it here.
I have been seeing this more and more over the last 10 years or so with people paying 20%+ more for a gallon for a "real name" brand of gas vs something else.
Now I am not talking "Bob's Gas" vs Shell, but well known but not one of the biggies.

Big ones:
Exxon / Mobil
BP
Shell
Sunoco

2nd tier but still just as good (if not better)
Speedway / Marathon
Valero
Chevron
QuikTrip

Sometimes it's even between the big ones there is a Sunoco station near me @ 2.39 a gallon full serve cash +$0.10 / gallon credit
From that station if you stand on the sidewalk you can SEE a Shell station probably a bit less then a 1/4 mile away $1.99 a gallon full server cash / credit same price.

Seriously???

Just thinking about this today when I was at a Speedway that was $2.09 cash / credit looking across the street [just a regular street no divider 2 lanes in each direction] at a Mobil that was $2.59 cash and even more for credit. With cars at the pumps. Why?

Can someone who does this explain it to me?

Funny part it is seems to be across the US. I have seen the same in NY, PA, KY, WV, CT, OH, AZ, NV, UT and others over the years.

Just off major roads tends to be close if not the same in price. Go local and WTF???

-Dave
Pages:
Jump to: