Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience 2Pac/Compac BM1384 Stickminer Official Support Thread - page 91. (Read 177300 times)

vh
Activity: 699
Merit: 666
Let me do a newbie question, please sorry if it's a too dumb question.

Would it be possible to change the firmware ( or something else ) of the 2Pac GekkoScience to mine with a different algorithm? Like Scrypt?

For firmware, not likely, the 2pac is an ASIC. Meaning its designed specifically for a single algorithm and this is hard coded into the hardware during manufacturing. They could release another version of the 2pac with different a algorithm but the one you already have will remain as is.

No. That is not how firmware works and there is nothing else you can change on the 2PAC to change its algorithm.

Yes and yes.  These Bitcoin ASICs are application specific to Bitcoins.   

Long answer:

Logically bitcoin hashing involves a double SHA256: SHA(SHA(x)).

But most application specific one does a: SHA(m [+ s] + MODIFIEDSHA(w + n)) and checks for leading zero then returns n.
  m=pool created midstate,
  s=driver created partial sha (chip specific),
  w=driver created leaftover from x,
  n=chip created nonce

Which results in logically a SHA(SHA(x)) at the pool.

Short answer:

They are hard wired and not programmable in any way.

vh
I'm having some issues with a 2Pac, wondering if anyone has any ideas...

Was working fine; PC rebooted unexpectedly, and now I cannot get cgminer to recognize it. (have tried multiple PCs, fresh installs, etc.)
-Green light stays illuminated
-Windows recognizes device - shows in devices and printers
-when i run cgminer.exe -n, it finds device, and lists as GekkoScience 2PAC Bitcoin Miner
-when cgminer.exe is run either via batch or just launching the executable - always states 'No devices found'  (cgminer build is confirmed working with other 2Pacs)
-have verified and re-installed winUSB driver via zadig 2.3
-checked with mutimeter - pulling 0.02a, 5v, 0.217w

any ideas or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CJ

Hi, just to clarify! You have 3 Sticks, 2 are working in the same Computer and with the same Cgminer (VH's) version, but 1 stick is not working? is that so?

There were 2 devices running on this machine at one point, one of those devices is no longer being used.  The single stick that I have currently was running on this PC without issue prior.
Thanks,
CJ

For some reason sounds like the chip is not getting enough power to run anymore.
Move around the PC and try a port on a different controller or use a powered hub (recommended).
Activity: 22
Merit: 30

Was working fine; PC rebooted unexpectedly, and now I cannot get cgminer to recognize it. (have tried multiple PCs, fresh installs, etc.)
-when i run cgminer.exe -n, it finds device, and lists as GekkoScience 2PAC Bitcoin Miner
-when cgminer.exe is run either via batch or just launching the executable - always states 'No devices found'  (cgminer build is confirmed working with other 2Pacs)

Thanks,
CJ

Hi, just to clarify! You have 3 Sticks, 2 are working in the same Computer and with the same Cgminer (VH's) version, but 1 stick is not working? is that so?

There were 2 devices running on this machine at one point, one of those devices is no longer being used.  The single stick that I have currently was running on this PC without issue prior.
Thanks,
CJ
Activity: 578
Merit: 501

Would it be possible to change the firmware ( or something else ) of the 2Pac GekkoScience to mine with a different algorithm? Like Scrypt?
No. That is not how firmware works and there is nothing else you can change on the 2PAC to change its algorithm.
Activity: 784
Merit: 282

For firmware, not likely, the 2pac is an ASIC. Meaning its designed specifically for a single algorithm and this is hard coded into the hardware during manufacturing. They could release another version of the 2pac with different a algorithm but the one you already have will remain as is.
Activity: 19
Merit: 0

Thanks,
CJ

Activity: 22
Merit: 30

-when cgminer.exe is run either via batch or just launching the executable - always states 'No devices found'  (cgminer build is confirmed working with other 2Pacs)

Thanks,
CJ
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
I live in Houston and Compaq is still in business here. albeit private stuff only, its the Dell warranty repair center contractor for this region as well if you know how to back track the return shipping label.

Retailers are dropping left and right around these parts.   Without a storefront most name-brands will be similar in about 5-10 years.

that's true, are you from around here?
In any case, I blame it on Amazon and Houstonstan's heat.
Blue apron delivers nice produce and recipes-close to restaurant's quality, so no need to eat out and Amazon with prime kills the rest of retailers slowly.

Yea, I'm by Rice for now but moving to Stink-a-Dena end of July.

Compaq was/is always never able to compete with SuperMicro in the industrial sector and just when they had a glimmer of relevance in the retail world they got shot down by Gateway. Always a Day late and a Dollar short of success.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 4078
I live in Houston and Compaq is still in business here. albeit private stuff only, its the Dell warranty repair center contractor for this region as well if you know how to back track the return shipping label.

Retailers are dropping left and right around these parts.   Without a storefront most name-brands will be similar in about 5-10 years.

that's true, are you from around here?
In any case, I blame it on Amazon and Houstonstan's heat.
Blue apron delivers nice produce and recipes-close to restaurant's quality, so no need to eat out and Amazon with prime kills the rest of retailers slowly.
vh

Retailers are dropping left and right around these parts.   Without a storefront most name-brands will be similar in about 5-10 years.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
vh
Activity: 475
Merit: 265
Ooh La La, C'est Zoom!
"compaq"  ???The error sais unrecognised because it doesn't know what that is.

Compaq!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
People calling them "compaq" has been frustrating me for two years.
"compaq"  Huh

The error sais unrecognised because it doesn't know what that is.

Yeah....I'm not proud of myself right now. Everything I see that I think of Compaq computers.
vh
"compaq"  Huh

The error sais unrecognised because it doesn't know what that is.
Compac != Compaq

Found issue should have looked closer for a bit longer....
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
If you got it from eyeboot, your first point of contact for service is eyeboot.

That goes for anyone who bought from a reseller. That person got your money so that person has an obligation to you as a customer. If the seller drops the ball I'll pick it up but the seller bears the responsibility of his own customer service so take full advantage of that. Honestly most of 'em are making a lot more profit than I am so they definitely owe it to their customers to have good customer service.
Activity: 7
Voltage issue.
I still am not able to get this thing to a voltage over 0.2v, not exactly sure what i did. Nothing has been broken off of the Stick, the only the i can think of is i could have hit another contact point on the board (see picture)
Is there any way i can get this fixed sidehack or like exchanged or anything for a fee? i got this thing from eyeboot, and when i received it the voltages were reading normal so its definitely something i have done to it.

https://i.imgur.com/NDiWJ3h.jpg
Pages:
Jump to: