Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new pod miner, just in time for Christmas - page 15. (Read 6703 times)

Activity: 227
Merit: 101
I even hope it produces a bit heat. I will use it to heat a small isolated shed that has new products etc. that needs to be dry and not get moisture from outside.

I would have put a 80w oven there (though, with thermostat, but still) if it weren't for this purchase.

The only usecases would be for educational purpose or lottery mining (as a heater?). It COULD end up being genius lol.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Yeah nobody here is going to lie to you about the numbers. It's a toy, not a business case. Lot of people will solo mine with them because, for a bitcoin lottery ticket, you can't really beat a nearly silent 2TH miner using under $10 of power per month.
Activity: 212
Merit: 241
bitaxe.org
Just to make sure I am mathing correctly:

With 1.5 Th/s at current network difficulty you would get ~$0.15 in BTC per day? So if reseller charges $600 and BTC price doesn't change then you would recover purchase cost in 4000 days or about 11 years (not including electricity costs)?

I guess you mine for a year and then pray BTC price goes up 10x in USD terms?

Anyway, product looks awesome, I am tempted even with the above mathing. Nice work kano and sidehack Smiley

The time to recover the purchase cost of a Bitcoin node is infinity, but tons of people do that also because it's fun, educational and helps in a small way to secure the world's best money. Solo mine on your R909 and you'll even have a chance at 6.25+ BTC!
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1102
Just to make sure I am mathing correctly:

With 1.5 Th/s at current network difficulty you would get ~$0.15 in BTC per day? So if reseller charges $600 and BTC price doesn't change then you would recover purchase cost in 4000 days or about 11 years (not including electricity costs)?

I guess you mine for a year and then pray BTC price goes up 10x in USD terms?

Anyway, product looks awesome, I am tempted even with the above mathing. Nice work kano and sidehack Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Anyone waiting for the code update for the R606 issues, it's been resolved.
See the 2nd post (or https://kano.is/gekko.php )
legendary
The Pi4 doesn't even blink, so a Pi3 should handle just fine.
Should a Raspberry Pi 3 suffice for running it? Or even a 2?
Activity: 486
Merit: 262
rm -rf stupidity
Got mine ordered as well!
Ordered! No PlayStation 5 for me this christmas. Lottery mining for my family, here we go! Smiley
copper member
Activity: 190
Merit: 111
https://www.419mining.com
419Mining opened the preorder sales, limited to 20 units. https://www.419mining.com/shop/miners/gekkoscience-r909/
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
It should be pointed out that at least when using Raspian on a Pi3, it is a good idea to run multiple instances of cgminer when your sticks/pods are along side older ones that have vastly lower hash rate. In my case a Compac-F in one instance and 1 Newpac + 1 2Pac in a 2nd instance.

If need be just run the latest/greatest instance for F's & R909 and older one for others until Kano gets it worked out Tongue
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Update:

as now mentioned in the 2nd post, the latest code has problems with the older miners.

Specifically the R606 wont scale up performance properly.
It performs badly and keeps dropping the frequency.

The CompacF, and R909 of course, work well with all the new features.

Switching back to the previous version will fix this for the old miners, for now, until I do regression testing on my old miners later.
The git commands to switch to the previous 4.12.0 version is:
Code:
cd
cd cgminer
git checkout f357f61c1d
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -fcommon" ./autogen.sh --enable-gekko --enable-icarus
make
The second last line is to make sure it say it's v4.12.0
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
I would like to know how many compacF or S17 processors have 1 R909

My  guess would be 6

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
I've only tested 1 at a time on my Pi, but we're running five per USB bus (10 per machine) on the old Dell 755 testers. If a current model Pi has comparable horsepower to half an office PC from like 2010 you'd be fine. Given a Pi will run something like 12-14 Compac F, 3-4 R909 shouldn't be difficult.

By the way, 1.5TH is the baseline spec. The last batch off testers were running 1.6-1.7TH and still had headroom. Kano and I have both tested units at 2TH and up. Of course the top-end of your units will be dependent on the hardware behaving nicely but I bet you could get 3.6TH just from the R909s.

sidehack I have 350gh/s in my each compacF, if the R909 reaches 3Th/s that would give between 8 to 9 compacF, is this comparison correct?

I would like to know how many compacF or S17 processors have 1 R909 for me to calculate here and see what it pays for me to assemble my next miner, can you help me with this information?
legendary
Resellers only, same as we've done for the last several years. Mine is a small shop so we focus on R&D and manufacture and let resellers handle advertising, distribution and customer support.
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
It's a brand-new product and we busted our butts to get the assembly line up to speed in time for the first batches to be out for Christmas, which is still 19 days off. Reseller stock requests are being filled right now, so they'll be "in stock" with resellers in one to two weeks.

can it purchased directly (where?) or only via reseller?
Activity: 21
Merit: 27
Hi, I am working on a BM13xx High Level Analyzer for Saleae Logic 2. You can find it on Saleae Logic 2 market place as an extension (and also in GH : https://github.com/GPTechinno/bm13xx-hla). Maybe you can have a use of it Wink

Currently, basic communicatin (FIL/VIL mode, R/W register, manage chip address, job/nonce) is well handled. I am digging into the register functions and fields now.

I am sure your level of knowledge on the BM13xx serial protocol is higher han mine, but such a practical tool can be handy for your dev also.

Let me know what you think about it.
legendary
I've only tested 1 at a time on my Pi, but we're running five per USB bus (10 per machine) on the old Dell 755 testers. If a current model Pi has comparable horsepower to half an office PC from like 2010 you'd be fine. Given a Pi will run something like 12-14 Compac F, 3-4 R909 shouldn't be difficult.

By the way, 1.5TH is the baseline spec. The last batch off testers were running 1.6-1.7TH and still had headroom. Kano and I have both tested units at 2TH and up. Of course the top-end of your units will be dependent on the hardware behaving nicely but I bet you could get 3.6TH just from the R909s.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
It's a brand-new product and we busted our butts to get the assembly line up to speed in time for the first batches to be out for Christmas, which is still 19 days off. Reseller stock requests are being filled right now, so they'll be "in stock" with resellers in one to two weeks.

sidehack how many s17 chips does this miner pod have?

From what I understand I could use 3 or 4 on a PI connected directly to the USB port?
Could you please confirm.

Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3122
Merit: 7618
Crypto Swap Exchange
so i will run my 2 gekko usb hubs (with 3 compac f sticks each) together with the 2 new r909 pod miners using a rpi4. if everything runs well and is configured well i would get ~3.6th/s together Cool
Pages:
Jump to: