Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new pod miner, just in time for Christmas - page 3. (Read 6703 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
If Merch wimps out on the warranty, it's a Merch problem. I'm interested in seeing this one since it's the first "magic smoke" failure report I've heard in the wild, so if nothing else, you can send it back to the factory for repair.
Activity: 27
Merit: 7
That post a few pages back was directed at me when i was trying to run all of this on a Mac. I moved to a Pi running Ubuntu Mate and everything has gone great. That makes sense about it not running at 100%. But does the fact that the one that went smokey was running so much lower give any clues to a problem? Otherwise yeah if anyone who understands the hardware better and has done overclocking can speak to if i shouldn't have been running at 600MHz is the issue, or if it's just that one that may have had a problem to begin with, that would be cool.

Being that i think that R909 was already an exchange for a 909 going down for other reasons and Bitcoinmerch has a warranty policy regarding running it above 500Mhz, i'm now hesitant to clock the other one back up to 600 anyway. That's why i'd like to clarify if 600 is actually any issue or in that one had some flaw to begin with. I've seen a few people in here talk about running it up to 700MHz and it self regulates down if there are issues. Also why i'm hoping someone might know what would have blown and if there is actually just a way to fix it. I don't think my reseller knows anything about repairs.
legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
Most R909 wont run at 100% if you push the clock speed.
This is due to the low millisecond timing of getting work to them.
If you run it overclocked on linux you'll get the best results, windows = not so good, mac = worst

As for what's going on there, I have a whole post a few pages back, you should probably, read related to that ...
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.61850232
The API info will also tell you
https://kano.is/gekko.php#apu

My picture on the support web page shows the 'front' as you call it.
https://kano.is/gekko.php#vol
With a big black capacitor there in the middle.
You should probably refer to that picture if you want help from someone - but not me - I'm a software guy Smiley
I would like to know though, from other who have pushed the R909, has anyone else had anything similar happen? Should i now worry about pushing the other one i have? As far as silicon lottery goes the remaining one definitely ran/runs with a much higher WU, sometimes up to 100%. The one that went poof rarely got up to 90%, sometimes as low as the high 70s. I've seen others post results and it seems the R909s tend to run below 100% unlike the CompacFs i have which almost all run at 100% or just below.
Sorry, i guess people think of where the fan is as the front. Not that side. I keep the lights side facing me. So middle back.

Also, if this is the Bitcoin Merch one, which i think it is, then they won't honor any use above 500MHz when it comes to the warranty. I assume these are software serialized, so i can't return a different one, so i might just be out 600 bucks. And to be clear, i'm not saying i like to cheat to get returns/exchanges, i just don't necessarily agree with the 500MHz limit on use.
I can't say exactly since it is enclosed and the smoke poured out from inside, but i'd guess middle front ish. it's possible if i plug it back in it'll finish smoking and i could tell better then.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Where on the board did the magic smoke come from?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Welp, ... and then magic smoke. ...
Any ideas for a cause and suggestions for a fix?
I don't think you'll ever be able to get the magic smoke back where it was.
Ja. It takes skilled technicians to tame it and bring it under control again...  Grin
The repair/replace process starts with you contacting the reseller you got it from.
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
Welp, ... and then magic smoke. ...

I don't think you'll ever be able to get the magic smoke back where it was.
Welp, ran one of my R909s for a week at 600MHz and it shorted my power supply. Plugged everything in except it and got everything else running fine again. Tried turning down the voltage and plugged it in with a barrel jack power plug and it started making whining noises, weird lights that weren't bright enough and stuttered, and then magic smoke. Offhand i think it blew a cap.

Thanks!
Activity: 17
Merit: 1
Had commented on compac f but found this forum (sorry for all the same people) couldn't find if any one else had "found 0 chips".
So does it mean it got burnt up? I was running it at 550MHz
legendary
Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090
Think for yourself
I need step by step help and would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this.

Link to instructions and correct software are in the 2nd post of this thread.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Hello,

I'm a beginner trying to get started with mining using my GekkoScience R909 that I have connected to my Raspberry Pi running Umbrel.

I need step by step help and would be very grateful if anyone can help me with this.

Thank you in advance!

888bold888
Activity: 8
Hi correct power supply.
When I do usb-devices with it plugged in get below. So Pi is fine, Pi usb is fine, correct power supply tried a few usb cables which work (so not these). Power to unit is on, power to fan is on, just nothing from chips.

T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=03 Cnt=02 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0403 ProdID=6015 Rev=10.00
S:  Manufacturer=FTDI
S:  Product=FT232EX
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=98mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)

T:  Bus=01 Lev=00 Prnt=00 Port=00 Cnt=00 Dev#=  1 Spd=480 MxCh= 1
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=1d6b ProdID=0002 Rev=05.10
S:  Manufacturer=Linux 5.10.11-v7+ dwc_otg_hcd
S:  Product=DWC OTG Controller
S:  SerialNumber=3f980000.usb
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=0mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=480 MxCh= 5
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=02 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0424 ProdID=9514 Rev=02.00
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=2mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 1 #EPs= 1 Cls=09(hub  ) Sub=00 Prot=02 Driver=hub

T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=01 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0424 ProdID=ec00 Rev=02.00
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr=2mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=ff Driver=smsc95xx

T:  Bus=01 Lev=02 Prnt=02 Port=03 Cnt=02 Dev#=  4 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=0403 ProdID=6015 Rev=10.00
S:  Manufacturer=FTDI
S:  Product=FT232EX
C:  #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=98mA
I:  If#=0x0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
@bobbyg198
Query: You have said nothing about the PSU needed for the R909. Unlike the stickminers it is not powered from the USB hub but instead is powered either via the barrel connector or preferably the PCIe plug. Um, it does have a 12v PSU good for at least 6amps powering it right?
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
Yep usb on Pi works recognises newpac no problem. The mini usb port on 909 seems fine, everything connected and tight stumped Smiley

thanks for suggestions.
Does it show the NewPac with lsusb meanwhile the R909 is missing?
What about usb-devices?
Yep usb on Pi works recognises newpac no problem. The mini usb port on 909 seems fine, everything connected and tight stumped Smiley

thanks for suggestions.
Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
Hi @ n0nce, tried cg miner several times, works for newpac, get nothing for the 909

no sign of the 909

thanks
So the device is not recognized at all. Is your USB on the Pi working fine? You can see attached devices with commands such as lsusb and plug in the miner and / or another USB device and check whether something changes.

Also do check whether the USB socket on the miner is in good condition and whether everything is plugged in and connected well on both devices.
Hi @ n0nce, tried cg miner several times, works for newpac, get nothing for the 909
https://imgur.com/7E3JOiw

no sign of the 909

thanks
Just an update...Returned the R909 to Bitcoin Merch and they will be sending me back a new unit once they are back in stock. So customer service has been very good with them.

Anyone have any ideas when the next batch of 909s are actually going out?
Pages:
Jump to: