Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH - page 28. (Read 22193 times)

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
You should also know that when running older Compacs along with the 'F', those older ones should be ran under a separate instance of cgminer because of radical differences in performance between them and the 'F'. Can still all be on one hub, just need the different instance of cgminer for all of them to be happy.
... and in case it wasn't obvious Smiley there's options (documented in the README) to select the different USB miners when you run cgminer:

--gekko-compacf-detect

--gekko-r606-detect

--gekko-newpac-detect
--gekko-2pac-detect
--gekko-compac-detect
--gekko-terminus-detect

So in each cgminer you run you can add one or more of the above to only mine on those USB miners
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
You should also know that when running older Compacs along with the 'F', those older ones should be ran under a separate instance of cgminer because of radical differences in performance between them and the 'F'. Can still all be on one hub, just need the different instance of cgminer for all of them to be happy.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
I see however, the problem rather be the CGminer itself, because it deregulates the stick for wathever reasons
'wathever reasons' is the problem.

Often as simple as a power source issue.

Hello Kano,

Thank you for your reply. Smiley

I've got a gekko usb hub with 120W PS and a fan running beside this miner. The power consumption of these can't be more than 5V/3A=15W + 5V/2,5A=12W, Sum: 27W, which is covered with the 120W PS abundandtly.

If I run two other miners + the fan there are no problems. They are running rock solid so the PS can't be a problem.

If I put this problematic miner in usb-port-pair with the others, it kicks the others out and they restarts automatically in about every 2-3 minutes.
If I run it beside them - not in a port-pair -, the two are running stable and this one is restarting with a reduced T until it gets to a point where the T is in the (-) minus range... Than it kicks the others out as well and they stop working.

I'm starting cgminer with the following line:

--gekko-compacf-freq 420 --gekko-start-freq 350 --gekko-mine2 --gekko-tune2 85

Now I lost nerves playing around with them days long without any success and let the 2 unproblematic without the other one running.  Roll Eyes

Added some simple troubleshooting steps at the bottom of the setup post.
May or may not be useful.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.58200639

Of course the miner itself 'can' be faulty, but these steps, somewhat related to what you've done, point out specific testing.

Also, since that's an odd number to use, I'll point out that "--gekko-tune2 85" simply means:
every 85 minutes, if it's not "--gekko-compacf-freq 420", check if it can go faster

Sorry for the late reply. Your troubleshooting and setup steps were the first I read, because I didn't want to mess something with the stick up and/or spam here. It was super useful and everyone should read it!!! In my opinion, there are some other very important "soft" variables one has to consider as a little amendment along your tutorial (if you have to make adjustments and the factory settings wouldn't be good enough) Smiley

This post might will be a little long, but it worth to read, if someone has adjustment issues like I did.

I got some new miners and I started everything from scratch by observing the new and good-running ones. Than:

1) I unplugged all the miners and I took a look at the little "Vcore-button" of the new ones after doing an hour testrun with them, to see if their factory settings are ok. They were stable so I compared the Vcore settings of all these good miners. Most of them was almost set identically at 17 min.

1.1) I copied this Vcore setting (17 min) and started the problematic at this point but it didn't worked out. It kept crashing.
1.2) I set the Vcore as I mentioned in one of my earlier post at ca. 25 min. (example from the NewPac thread: http://23.108.83.14/images/NewPac-0006.png).

2) Than I plugged the problematic stick in a usb tester in order to see the amperage.

3) I plugged the usb tester with the stick in the gekko hub and started CGminer with my erlier compac F settings. (+ Fan of course)

4) I let it ramp up and it stablized itself almost. I had to make a tiny adjustment turning the Vcore counterclockwise just 1-2 millimeters. But all this very-very slowly. I saw the amperage slighlty decreasing but the stick got up from 94-95% to 100%.

5) I waited and observed the hashrate, amps etc. The hashrate gone up until the point it had reached earlier.

6) I waited and after 5-10 min the hashrate begun to climb further higher (instead of crashing) and stopped at a point. I'd say 3/4 way through compared to the others' at 420 MHz.

7) I've turned the Vcore slighlty observing closely the amps, the hashrate and WU-value. As I turned it in one way or the other the amps changed along with the other rates. BUT it is very important that it took some time until I saw the stick's reaction. So turning just a 0,1 mm, yes, "0,1" mm in one direction and waiting 5-10 sec to see the reaction. If someone turns it like 2-3 mm or more at once you can forget it and won't work. You'll see the stick's reaction of course but you cannot fine-tune or adjust it but it can crash due to the quick change. It was my expreience at least. It is like jumping in a tub full of hot water. If you emerge yourself slowly, little by little it won't hurt, but jumping... Roll Eyes The same happens with the stick reducing or increasing the Vcore (Amps) like crazy - I reckon.

8.) I saw the hashrate climbing up almost until to the point (2-3 GHs less) where the others were running. With this maybe "rookie" method I managed to fine-tune my miner in 4 hours.

9) Along the road I've noticed that this stick got somehow hotter than the others and thus the cooling was an issue though. Hence I had this only stick to cool down I could point the airflow much centered at the heatsink and this solved the problem.

What have I learned?
1) Mark your factory Vcore setting before you want to make any changes.
2) Always start at the 25 min. mark (see point 1.2 above), if you turned the Vcore far away from its factory setting or you don't remember this one anyomore.
3) Be very-very-very patient and slow with the adjusment. (Only begin it if you have time and you're not in a rush.)
4) Do it with only one stick in a hub at once and use a usb tester.
5) Have a super airflow.

You can find all these infos in one way or the other in the other posts before but I wanted to sum all those up here in one and stepwise. I hope it'll be helpful. Smiley

Using multiple sticks in one hub

0) Before using a stick in a pool be sure it is running smoothly alone. If not please see above.
1) Start CGminer only with 2 sticks in a hub at once.
2) When they are runnig smoothly and are stable, plug in one more. If stable, one more and so on. Don't start with 6-7 sticks at once. Maybe all of your sticks' setup is fine but the "stronger", slightly more stable sticks can destabilize the weaker and vice versa. ...and you end up thinking there is something wrong with the stick even if there isn't.
3) In the meanwhile be assured they get enough air, what can cool them down enough. A fan from above spins in one direction and the last stick(s) in case of 5 or 6 may not gets enough air, gets hot and crashes, although there isn't any problem with its settings at all.
Activity: 7
Hi guys,
Can anyone guide me to the best USB hub for overclocking 4 of these Compac miners? From hours of browsing today, I have realized that only the official GekkoScience 8 Port Hub is capable of giving 3A per USB port. This much is the minimum required to overclock it and there is no other, literally no other USB Hub on either Amazon or Aliexpress that has the capability to provide 3A power output on EVERY USB port.

Is it a normal thing to find a skilled electrician/electronics repair guy and ask him to make a custom USB hub? Has anyone done this? Wondering this because the USB hub that works seems to be out of stock everywhere.

Warm Regards,
Anon
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Have you checked the CPU load on the Pi when you were trying to run that many devices?

I found when I first started I used an original Pi and the CPU couldn't keep up.

Check CPU load on the host device and if its at 100% load then it just won't be able to handle that many devices.
Activity: 41
Merit: 1
Hi, still have the same problem. I tried it with my surface go and it can work with 14 Sticks.
But on my Pi only 11. What can be the reason and how to fix it?

Who has rtaspi 3B+ with more than 11 sticks? and which linux version do you use

Hi,

i also got 2 of the sticks. And still have a lot of NewPacs. I am using an Raspi 3b+ Now my Problem.:
I can add 11 sticks to my hubs and everything works fine.
At the moment i put the 12th stick in, i get an error: failed to initialize....
Doesn't matter which frequency or which sticks i put in. So there is no Problem with the Power.
I guess it have something to do with the USB Bandwidth, Maybe anyone knows how i can fix the Problem and add more sticks?

I would be very happy if somene can help.

Activity: 3
at least it is not Zombie... did the reset stuff work?
Anybody here facing zombie issue, too?

anyone else has the problem?  my F was running smoth but now P:0 and the frequenzy is going domn step by step until 0

BM1397:01  200.00MHz T:0   P:0   (13424:32) |  0.0% WU:  0% |  0.000 /  0.000h/s WU:  0.0/m
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
~snip~

Yes, that is correct that I am running 4 sticks on one Gekko hub on ports 2, 5, 7 &4. I have 3 sticks on the 2nd Gekko hub using ports 2, 7 & 4.

The one stick I am having the issues with has never really been stable, it will always run for a while, but it slowly ticks down to zero eventually.  While it is doing this the hash rate suffers.  I will get back to working with it, just life is really busy right now with travel for work.  The other 7 sticks just run at 540MHz without any issues.  I would have to constantly go un-plug and re-plug this problem stick in.

Right. Not a solution but you could automate the usb reset with something like this: https://github.com/ralight/usb-reset

Just run it on a cron every couple of hours or so. Or you could monitor the miner with the API and reset it when it starts going down or gets to zero hashes.
Activity: 16
~snip~
Good for you. Smiley I haven't paid €300/stick just to put one aside accepting "this is how it is"... Wink I rather try to find an explanation why is one behaving so weird. There's a solution for everything. And yes, this is lottery and has to be fun not a struggle.

You say that 7 of them are working fine and the 8th one doesn't work properly, right?

Also that you're using the USB hub from GekkoScience?

https://i.imgur.com/oOCYxQD.jpg

One of the USB ports is designed to connect a fan, so it's power only.

That could be an explanation for your issue.

I am running 7 CompacFs right now on t2 Gekko hubs and my 8th stick does the same as yours.

He made a typo I guess and he's using "2 Gekko hubs", if I'm right.

Yes, that is correct that I am running 4 sticks on one Gekko hub on ports 2, 5, 7 &4. I have 3 sticks on the 2nd Gekko hub using ports 2, 7 & 4.

The one stick I am having the issues with has never really been stable, it will always run for a while, but it slowly ticks down to zero eventually.  While it is doing this the hash rate suffers.  I will get back to working with it, just life is really busy right now with travel for work.  The other 7 sticks just run at 540MHz without any issues.  I would have to constantly go un-plug and re-plug this problem stick in.

legendary
Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798
Linux since 1997 RedHat 4
I see however, the problem rather be the CGminer itself, because it deregulates the stick for wathever reasons
'wathever reasons' is the problem.

Often as simple as a power source issue.

Hello Kano,

Thank you for your reply. Smiley

I've got a gekko usb hub with 120W PS and a fan running beside this miner. The power consumption of these can't be more than 5V/3A=15W + 5V/2,5A=12W, Sum: 27W, which is covered with the 120W PS abundandtly.

If I run two other miners + the fan there are no problems. They are running rock solid so the PS can't be a problem.

If I put this problematic miner in usb-port-pair with the others, it kicks the others out and they restarts automatically in about every 2-3 minutes.
If I run it beside them - not in a port-pair -, the two are running stable and this one is restarting with a reduced T until it gets to a point where the T is in the (-) minus range... Than it kicks the others out as well and they stop working.

I'm starting cgminer with the following line:

--gekko-compacf-freq 420 --gekko-start-freq 350 --gekko-mine2 --gekko-tune2 85

Now I lost nerves playing around with them days long without any success and let the 2 unproblematic without the other one running.  Roll Eyes

Added some simple troubleshooting steps at the bottom of the setup post.
May or may not be useful.
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.58200639

Of course the miner itself 'can' be faulty, but these steps, somewhat related to what you've done, point out specific testing.

Also, since that's an odd number to use, I'll point out that "--gekko-tune2 85" simply means:
every 85 minutes, if it's not "--gekko-compacf-freq 420", check if it can go faster
anyone else has the problem?  my F was running smoth but now P:0 and the frequenzy is going domn step by step until 0

BM1397:01  200.00MHz T:0   P:0   (13424:32) |  0.0% WU:  0% |  0.000 /  0.000h/s WU:  0.0/m
~snip~
Good for you. Smiley I haven't paid €300/stick just to put one aside accepting "this is how it is"... Wink I rather try to find an explanation why is one behaving so weird. There's a solution for everything. And yes, this is lottery and has to be fun not a struggle.

You say that 7 of them are working fine and the 8th one doesn't work properly, right?

https://i.imgur.com/oOCYxQD.jpg

I am running 7 CompacFs right now on t2 Gekko hubs and my 8th stick does the same as yours.

He made a typo I guess and he's using "2 Gekko hubs", if I'm right.
~snip~

this one is restarting with a reduced T until it gets to a point where the T is in the (-) minus range...
[/quote]

I am running 7 CompacFs right now on t2 Gekko hubs and my 8th stick does the same as yours.  I have played with it and I am not able to get it stable.  I finally got fed up with it and I am just runnign the 7 sticks and it is humming along no issues.  It just must be silicone lottery.

yettihead
[/quote]

If I think it through it is 'good' you're having the same problem. This means that the "last" stick in the chain is getting unstable somehow. It's a pattern, if this problem comes up by others as well.

Mines run smoothly alone, before I put all 3 togehter in the hub. The problems started after this and now, I cannot stablize it alone either.
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
When I got my first one this winter, I plugged it into the USB port on my PC and ran it just to test, without a fan.

I stepped away for a while, so didn't notice, but it got so hot one of the surface mount chips became unsoldered and fell off, it then stopped mining after a few minutes.

I wonder if there's any frequency that has been proven to be safe to run these Compac F fanless

For example, running it under-powered to get say 50GH/s would be enough to not fry the components I reckon, but I'm not 100% sure.

It's a bit difficult to know with no temperature.

Anyone has been running these with no fans for some time? I would like to know what freq you're using.

Edit: I actually run a couple of short tests and it does get pretty hot even with low frequencies, and also it generate almost no shares when set to low freqs, so I would say this miner is for running as fast as you can and with a proper fan.
So my compac F went Zombie today. Is there any guide to follow to fix this somehow?
Running @ 400MHz with 5800rpm fan on bitcoin merch usb hub.

Thanks in advance!

I strongly recommend getting the USB testers. I used this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HXU1PGC

I was able to tune most of mine to a stable 340+ GH/s at 525 MHz at around 12.5-13W (4.8V x 2.7A). All i did was adjust the voltage screw clockwise a bit to match the volts/amps of the faster running sticks. Looks like I'm getting nearly S19j levels of efficiency at 36-38W per TH out of these which is kinda wild.

I did have some finicky sticks under hashing around 40-70 GH/s. i thought they were defective as well but thanks to sidehack & kano's tips i got them out of that range into the 150 GH/s+ range. They eventually dropped back down but I will test on a separate hub & instance of cgminer and report back. I think I should be able to get them to run right with the correct settings & frequency. I've noticed w/ the newpacs some sticks do like to run a bit lower than others.

One of the sticks was running fine at 400 MHz over 200GH/s for a bit but now gets 0 chips/zombie and seems to be pulling little to no amps. Any tips on adjusting the voltage screw? I didn't want to mess with it too much or over torque it. It was always properly cooled.

Note, these seem to take a bit to ramp up to max speed when compared to the Newpacs. It took like 2-3 hours to work its way up to 340+ GH/s so def don't think there's something wrong with it if it doesn't immediately hit the higher hash rates.
joz
Activity: 9

I am running 7 CompacFs right now on t2 Gekko hubs and my 8th stick does the same as yours.  I have played with it and I am not able to get it stable.  I finally got fed up with it and I am just runnign the 7 sticks and it is humming along no issues.  It just must be silicone lottery.

yettihead

Guys, the silicone lottery is for how good the boob job turns out.  For electronics it's the silicon lottery (no 'e')!  Just it's like the third time I've seen it wrong in this thread.
Activity: 16

[/quote]
this one is restarting with a reduced T until it gets to a point where the T is in the (-) minus range...
[/quote]

I am running 7 CompacFs right now on t2 Gekko hubs and my 8th stick does the same as yours.  I have played with it and I am not able to get it stable.  I finally got fed up with it and I am just runnign the 7 sticks and it is humming along no issues.  It just must be silicone lottery.

yettihead
Pages:
Jump to: