Pages:
Author

Topic: GekkoScience has a new stickminer that does 300+GH - page 32. (Read 22193 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 1
Hi, where can i buy that gekko usb miner?

Since your in Spain, https://www.bitshopper.de/ looks to have them in stock.
Activity: 572
Merit: 506
Hi, where can i buy that gekko usb miner?
Activity: 562
Merit: 139
I'm curious were these results measured at the port or just what speed CGMiner is running at?
Speeds can't be measured at the port; cgminer calculates the hashrate based on how quickly it's getting hashes from the chip / how many hashes it gets during the span of a second, 10 seconds, etc., would be my best guess.

Yep that was I worded my question that way. Smiley

I do think we are all in agreement that hashing performance on CGMiner doesn't necessarily mean that the miner is pulling a specific amperage from the USB port.

My previous comments were based on my experience and actual measured port draw (granted it was measured with a $15 device from scamazon). Haha  Wink

Activity: 882
Merit: 5818
not your keys, not your coins!
I'm curious were these results measured at the port or just what speed CGMiner is running at?
Speeds can't be measured at the port; cgminer calculates the hashrate based on how quickly it's getting hashes from the chip / how many hashes it gets during the span of a second, 10 seconds, etc., would be my best guess.
Activity: 562
Merit: 139

I do have 3 x SiPolar hubs that can't seem to handle even 2 Compac F's above 2.5A so I am happy to replace hopefully all of them!

Im not sure what you mean but i use 5x sipolars 120w hubs,all populated same way with 3Fs & a fan on each hub and all running btween 525Mhz to 600Mhz. that i believe is a power range of 2.7A to 3.3A. I havent perfected the art of tunning them all to run at same freq so i left them to run that way for now..

My observation is.. Even Sipolar has a fake.. while i was shopping for sipolar hub i noticed the fake one from the real , they called it Sip0lar - where the o was replaced with numeric zero -0. so i went straight to the source to order , which means goin back all d way to china.
Unless my results below doesnt count .. I stand corrected.

Code:
[U]SB management [P]ool management [S]ettings [D]isplay options [Q]uit
  0: GSF 10050577: BM1397:01+ 525.00MHz T:525 P:525 (24:12)  |  100% WU:100% | 346.9G / 348.8Gh/s WU:4872.2/m
  1: GSF 10050582: BM1397:01+ 490.00MHz T:490 P:490 (26:13)  |  100% WU:100% | 352.0G / 346.3Gh/s WU:4837.5/m
  2: GSF 10050580: BM1397:01+ 585.00MHz T:585 P:585 (22:11)  |  100% WU:100% | 374.1G / 377.8Gh/s WU:5278.3/m
  3: GSF 10050558: BM1397:01+ 530.00MHz T:530 P:530 (24:12)  |  100% WU:100% | 315.2G / 379.7Gh/s WU:5303.8/m
  4: GSF 10050552: BM1397:01+ 540.00MHz T:540 P:540 (23:12)  |  100% WU:100% | 324.5G / 362.8Gh/s WU:5068.5/m
  5: GSF 10050555: BM1397:01+ 585.00MHz T:585 P:585 (22:11)  |  100% WU:100% | 412.8G / 387.0Gh/s WU:5406.5/m
  6: GSF 10050666: BM1397:01+ 600.00MHz T:600 P:599 (21:11)  |  100% WU:100% | 393.5G / 382.0Gh/s WU:5337.0/m
  7: GSF 10050664: BM1397:01+ 530.00MHz T:530 P:529 (24:12)  |  100% WU:100% | 387.6G / 350.1Gh/s WU:4890.9/m
  8: GSF 10050663: BM1397:01+ 600.00MHz T:600 P:600 (21:11)  |  100% WU:100% | 349.0G / 395.3Gh/s WU:5522.5/m
  9: GSF 10050451: BM1397:01+ 505.00MHz T:505 P:505 (25:13)  |  100% WU:100% | 384.2G / 333.4Gh/s WU:4658.0/m
 10: GSF 10050455: BM1397:01+ 480.00MHz T:510 P:464 (26:13)  |  100% WU:100% | 250.2G / 360.5Gh/s WU:5036.1/m
 11: GSF 10050457: BM1397:01+ 550.00MHz T:550 P:550 (23:12)  |  100% WU:100% | 374.1G / 356.1Gh/s WU:4974.1/m
 12: GSF 10050588: BM1397:01+ 600.00MHz T:600 P:600 (21:11)  |  100% WU:100% | 388.3G / 392.3Gh/s WU:5480.4/m
 13: GSF 10050590: BM1397:01+ 505.00MHz T:505 P:505 (25:13)  |  100% WU:100% | 356.0G / 363.0Gh/s WU:5071.8/m
 14: GSF 10050591: BM1397:01+ 545.00MHz T:545 P:545 (23:12)  |  100% WU:100% | 353.1G / 366.0Gh/s WU:5112.8/m

Honestly I have been unlucky with the SiPolar hubs and I have 3 of them. It's not that they don't work and they do appear to be legit hubs. The issue arises when I try to push the miners to where I know my other hubs perform and they start consuming above 2.5A a port.

My experience is that I feel like they are limited to only allowing 2 miners and an Arctic Fan on each SiPolar hub. I simply can't get them stable past 540MHz due to a lack of power. I can watch the power consumption go up on each port when tuning but as soon as I get past that 2.5A mark I believe the port /hub is going into protection which results in a miner crash / reset.

My ICONE hubs are running 3 Miners on each at 590 - 600MHz with an Arctic Fan which tickles the 3A mark on each miner but they don't seem to go into protection. If I try to power 4 Miners then they fall flat on their face Smiley

I see your point, but I think it is to some extent. It already can melt with an usb-a connector, than with a usb-c it is preprogrammed to melt.
No, no, the Compac-F does melt without cooling. Grin
You can also easily build a NewPac with a USB-C port and it won't melt without cooling. Just because it handles higher loads doesn't mean you have to push that far.

The future stick miners could also just ship with fans and fan shrouds out-of-the box and then it would be pretty safe to sell them as-is.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
Even than if it worked, I would find these kind of miners with usb-c highly dangerous. People, who doesn't know much about electricity or doesn't make some research in this topic can easily burn their homes down only by plugging a usb-c miner in a hub and letting it behind running without any super active cooling. Shocked

I'm not saying usb-c would be a dead end or would be bad, I only find it risky and a bit too dangerous. That's why I reckon usb-a miners are enough. Who knows what kind of super-chips the future and the developer misterminds bring us.  Roll Eyes Grin
Ahem.. the Compac-F can also get hot enough for the solder to melt; these things being able to overheat and melt is not really related to the connector used.

I see your point, but I think it is to some extent. It already can melt with an usb-a connector, than with a usb-c it is preprogrammed to melt. Since, usb-c chargers and hubs handles a higher amperage --> higher wattage. To be able to get a higher current out of a usb-a you have to educate yourself. You cannot go to a general store and buy the first hub you see as it is with usb-c.

A bit longer explanation:

With a regular usb-a the average input lies at around 5V/1,4A=7W and the cup is around 5V/2,4(3)A=12(15)W. Usb-c starts from here. Usb-a was meant firstly for data transfer, usb-c for fastcharging and data transfer. The cable is important as well, however, we don't use any cables to usb miners, therfore would be theoretically irrelevant if usb a or c. But the charger types/hubs were designed to cover the above described power demands, that's why we hardly find any usb-a hubs, which can support not 3A but even 2,4A.
We can consider this kinda involuntarily built in protective mechanism. Smiley If you don't do your research and you don't understand electricity a bit, cannot overclock or even use your miners properly.

Let's assume, there would be a hipothetic Ferrari2 with usb-c connector and 2 BM1397 ASIC Chips. It could draw ca. 30W or more. Anyone who has a common 30W+ usb-c hub can without any research and understandig easily just plug the thing in and it would run. But for what a cost? If a compac F melts at 15W, what could do 30W or more (e.g. 120W) with a device without any super active cooling? There wouldn't be enough 1 fan for sure.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but safety first. If someone can start a device without any deeper education, no matter the consequences it'll do so, because people tend to be comfortable and lazy.  Undecided
Even than if it worked, I would find these kind of miners with usb-c highly dangerous. People, who doesn't know much about electricity or doesn't make some research in this topic can easily burn their homes down only by plugging a usb-c miner in a hub and letting it behind running without any super active cooling. Shocked

I'm not saying usb-c would be a dead end or would be bad, I only find it risky and a bit too dangerous. That's why I reckon usb-a miners are enough. Who knows what kind of super-chips the future and the developer misterminds bring us.  Roll Eyes Grin
Ahem.. the Compac-F can also get hot enough for the solder to melt; these things being able to overheat and melt is not really related to the connector used.
Activity: 13
And also, looking into it, it seems that it is indeed possible to send data and PD higher than 3A at the same time, as this device states:

It’s bi-directional with power transfer while transmitting data.

This seems to be in line with what the standard says:

https://i.imgur.com/rnXPtNa.png

So, at a minimum, USB4 hubs should be able to provide 3A with data per port by using USB Type-C Current, and possibly more if the device is able to do data and USB PD at the same time, as this linked device seems to be able to.
It makes sense, because when people connect their MacBook to a USB-C display, it quick-charges the MacBook through the same USB port through which the high-bandwidth video signal is transmitted. I believe they achieve the high wattages by also increasing the voltage, but nevertheless I'm sure that they charge at more than 3A.

Even than if it worked, I would find these kind of miners with usb-c highly dangerous. People, who doesn't know much about electricity or doesn't make some research in this topic can easily burn their homes down only by plugging a usb-c miner in a hub and letting it behind running without any super active cooling. Shocked They would/could think, it's a small n cute, noiseless device - which it is -, compared to a 1000W+ asic miner, so what wrong could possibly happen?! Well... The thing is, in my opinion, that people are broadly used to using fastchargable and other devices, what support 20-60-120W input capacity. They, in most cases, only see the number and think the bigger, the better and don't even know, what it in fact means. It's a hell of a load. Maybe I'm wrong and way too precautious but even 12-15W is enough dangerous, if you don't know how to handle it.
With usb-a miners, though, there can be theoretically no problem regarding heat. I mean, you can cool them down with a fan or two and don't need any uber extra knowledge. However, if you want to use usb-a miners on high frequency (aka high amperage) and max them out, you must do some research beforehand, in order to accumulate a level of understanding what's going on in the background. Otherwise, you're stuck with the idle, "safe" frequency, or with older usb miners, which are safe to use and almost PnP devices compared to a compac F.

If someone want to mine for a living won't buy any low hashrate, unefficient usb miner and additionally geather the pieces they need to get them work, but a robust 1000W+ asic. For hobby miners and DIY fans should a usb-a compac F or something similar be enough to play around with. Smiley It's rather about fun, possibility of solving a block in this case, than being profit driven. I'm not saying usb-c would be a dead end or would be bad, I only find it risky and a bit too dangerous. That's why I reckon usb-a miners are enough. Who knows what kind of super-chips the future and the developer misterminds bring us.  Roll Eyes Grin
And also, looking into it, it seems that it is indeed possible to send data and PD higher than 3A at the same time, as this device states:

So, at a minimum, USB4 hubs should be able to provide 3A with data per port by using USB Type-C Current, and possibly more if the device is able to do data and USB PD at the same time, as this linked device seems to be able to.
It makes sense, because when people connect their MacBook to a USB-C display, it quick-charges the MacBook through the same USB port through which the high-bandwidth video signal is transmitted. I believe they achieve the high wattages by also increasing the voltage, but nevertheless I'm sure that they charge at more than 3A.
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
Does it deliver 12A per port for that 60W, or does it deliver 20V 3A?

You get to choose:

5 USB-C PD Source Modes: 20V/15V/12V/9V/5V Maximum output per port is 60-Watt

Wow that's an old listing. We stopped using the black plastic housing material after the first batch in 2018.
What was / is the price supposed to be, though? Roughly?
Activity: 952
Merit: 938
~snip~

I could've sworn I've seen a discussion about the fact that USB-C can't do PD and data at the same time. You can have standard specs with data OR just high power delivery, not both.

Here's more information about it: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.59711047
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
I can almost guarantee it isn't, just that the listing pictures and stuff are super old.
I have been waiting for a couple months now for them to be in stock, if it is from 2018 and it works, I am ok with it. 
legendary
Activity: 3304
Merit: 1842
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Wow that's an old listing. We stopped using the black plastic housing material after the first batch in 2018.
If anyone is interested asicpuppy has a couple of GekkoScience USB 7 port hubs in stock.  I ordered one and it will be delivered tomorrow as I emailed him checking on the status and he let me know it had shipped.  He also mentioned that he had a couple in stock and will update his website tonight.  I do not know how many he has.

Please, can you send me the email from Asicpuppy?

Thanks.

I believe their e-mail address is just [email protected].
But they do have the hub in-stock right now.

https://asicpuppy.com/magentoPuppy/index.php/gekko-usb-hub.html

However, I don't think that's the normal price, is it? I got mine for around 80 bucks used a few months ago and thought that was already steep for a used device.
Activity: 12
If anyone is interested asicpuppy has a couple of GekkoScience USB 7 port hubs in stock.  I ordered one and it will be delivered tomorrow as I emailed him checking on the status and he let me know it had shipped.  He also mentioned that he had a couple in stock and will update his website tonight.  I do not know how many he has.

Please, can you send me the email from Asicpuppy?

Thanks.
Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
It's very hard to find a powered USB hub that provides 3A per port because that's way above the USB3 standard, so it's non-standard by definition.

A standard USB3.0 hub has a maximum of 0.9A per port(4.5W).[1]

Hubs that support the USB Battery Charging 1.2, or BC 1.2 for short, work up to 1.5A per port(7.5W) [2]

There are non-standard/propietary ways of going beyond that. The most common value I've found is 2.4A (12W), for example that's what the 7 port hub from bitcoin merch delivers. [3]

If you need to have a hub for USB2-3 devices that deliver 3A per port you can either buy a used one (the gekkoscience one and others are all sold out AFAIK) or, if you're more adventurous, there are some people making custom developments and sharing their designs. Here's the post[4] and the actual source code for the design files of a 4-port USB2 hub with 3A delivery per port (15W) [5]. In theory you could DIY your own USB hub with 3A per port using those files if you have the skills.

Ideally the next generation of USB miners should be done with USB-C, which allows much more power in a standard way. For example, the Dell dock WD19TBS has a USB-C that provides 3A (15W). [6]

USB-C allows the creation of devices like this guy, a 4 port USB-C hub that delivers 12A per port (60W). [7]

I'm not sure if there's a way of delivering power to a USB2-3 device from a USB-C hub. But that could be worth checking.

After a quick search, it looks like it might be possible to use one of these new USB-C hubs to get 3A per port. This simple converter from USB-C to USB3.1 [8] states:

Certified by USB-IF to be compliant with USB 3.1 Gen 1 Standard; backwards compatibility to USB 3.0 and 2.0; power output up to 5V, 3 Amp

[1]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0
[2]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#USB_2.0
[3]: https://bitcoinmerch.com/products/powered-usb-hub-3-0-7-port-50w-for-usb-miners-newpac-twopac-moonlander-antminer-us-plug
[4]: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/usb-high-power-3a-per-port-hub-based-on-usb2514b/
[5]: https://circuitmaker.com/Projects/Details/LtFlash/USB-High-Power-hub
[6]: https://dl.dell.com/topicspdf/dell-wd19tbs-dock_users-guide_en-us.pdf
[7]: https://www.coolgear.com/product/usb-power-delivery-4-port-type-c-240w-super-speed-hub
[8]: https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Type-C-Gen1-Female-Adapter/dp/B01GGKYXVE

I could've sworn I've seen a discussion about the fact that USB-C can't do PD and data at the same time. You can have standard specs with data OR just high power delivery, not both.
Pages:
Jump to: