Pages:
Author

Topic: Generating a paper wallet securely - page 4. (Read 987 times)

legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 10611
November 04, 2019, 01:30:26 AM
How can I generate a paper wallet in off line, provided that I am using Windows and not thinking of using any other platform like ubunto, I'm not much of a tech guy.

you don't need to be a "tech guy" to use Linux. it is different and you may have a hard time at first but to create a paper wallet, only knowing a handful of basic things would be more than enough to help you achieve a higher security.
do it a couple of times as a test and see how things work. you can even create a testnet paper wallet and receive then spend coins using that for no cost.

additionally if you want to avoid complications and take the easy route then you shouldn't be creating a paper wallet in first place because it is not easy and requires a lot of effort and you to be "tech guy". so as others said buy a hardware wallet instead.
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 03, 2019, 02:37:31 PM
That depends on your threat model and how secure you think is secure enough for you.

At least, IMO you need to be able to do these :
1. Obtain original Windows intaller and printer driver (which don't need internet connection)
2. Remove all Wi-Fi receiver and Ethernet cable
3. An USB drive with necessary software to generate paper wallet (remove after you copy it)

I'd recommend hardware wallet over paper wallet for beginner or non-tech people though
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 6006
bitcoindata.science
November 03, 2019, 01:57:18 PM
If you are not a tech guy...
The easiest way, However not the cheapest, is to use an old computer.

Get this old computerand format it.
Then disable all the network in bios.

Never connect it again in the internet

Download Electrum  in a pen drive and insert it in the computer.

If you want to print, get the oldest printer you can find (without any wireless or whatever)

Too much risks... Much cheaper just to buy a hardware wallet imo
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1247
November 03, 2019, 01:42:00 PM
I've already written a tutorial about this here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/howto-give-bitcoin-as-a-gift-5190702

only part1 would be relevant for you.

But since you want to keep the BTC on the paper wallet for a longer period of time and in my tutorial the btc don't remain on the paper wallet very long because they are given away immediately,
it is recommended to use a pc that is not connected to the internet or any other computer or network.
A fully air-gapped pc would be physically completely separated from other networks.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
November 03, 2019, 01:22:39 PM
Depends on how paranoid you want to be.
You say you are not a tech guy, but are you good enough to remove a drive from a PC and put in a new one.
Or, at least remove and destroy the drive?

You could get a copy of the paper wallet generator on an online PC and put it on a USB stick.
Bring it to a PC that is not online (no wi-fi no wired network connected)

Run the app
Generate wallet.
Print wallet.

Destroy both the usb stick and drive in the PC.

Done.

The above method is overkill, but just about foolproof.

If you have some more ability, then running DBAN to wipe the drive is just about as good.

You can also get some hardware wallets and do it that way.

https://opendime.com/

It generates an address. And until you punch the hole nobody in any way get to the private key.

-Dave
Activity: 1358
Merit: 850
November 03, 2019, 01:08:09 PM
I'm considering creating a paper wallet for long time BTC holding. So far, I have known it's risky to generate a paper wallet while I'm connected to internet. Hacker may get access to my private key.
How can I generate a paper wallet in off line, provided that I am using Windows and not thinking of using any other platform like ubunto, I'm not much of a tech guy.
Please suggest me a safe way. I will bury the paper for next 5 years at least, till the 2024 halving.

Sorry if I have posted the topic in wrong section.
Pages:
Jump to: