Pages:
Author

Topic: Gentoo Linux Ebuild - page 4. (Read 21578 times)

legendary
Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001
August 27, 2010, 02:52:53 PM
1) Remind that you will need to fix the header.
I don't understand this.  Which header?

Code:
# Copyright 1999-2010 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/app-mobilephone/lightblue/lightblue-0.4.ebuild,v 1.3 2010/03/27 17:57:36 arfrever Exp $

That header Wink

4) /home/bticoin?
I don't see where I misspelled bitcoin.  Which file?

My mistake. I meant to write /home/bitcoin. My point is that this should be /var/lib/bitcoin.

5) Strip optimizations from the Makefile and let the user provide them (or strip them properly)
I am uncertain what "optimizations" are.

Things like "-msse2 -O3 -march=amdfam10". Gentoo users normally specify them themselves in /etc/make.conf.

6) Don't build static code. I have a Makefile that builds dynamic code. If you want I can send it to you. You will need to make changes to it.
I am not familiar with which parts of code are static and could be converted to dynamic.  I only prepared an ebuild because it seems nobody else has.  I am not skilled enough to perfect the ebuild, however, if anyone else would like to contribute towards making it better, I set up a git repository: http://github.com/mizerydearia/bitcoin_gentoo_ebuild

I can help you with that. One other thing that might be nice is an init.d script to start and stop the daemon at boot. oh... it's already there.
Activity: 574
Merit: 507
August 27, 2010, 04:03:27 AM
Last time I tried $(shell /usr/bin/wx-config), there was immediate hollering about build problems with it.  There wasn't time to investigate at the time.

One problem with $(shell /usr/bin/wx-config) is it will pick up any version (wx 2.8 ) and any configuration (non-UTF-8 ) of wxWidgets that happens to be there.  -lwx_gtk2ud-2.9 only matches the right configuration.  It fails if wxWidgets was built with the wrong configuration.

For reference purpose, Gentoo has the following work-around for specific wxWidgets versions:

Code:
$ eselect wxwidgets list
Available wxWidgets profiles:
  [1]   gtk2-ansi-release-2.6
  [2]   gtk2-unicode-2.9 *
  [3]   gtk2-unicode-release-2.6
  [4]   gtk2-unicode-release-2.8

$ /usr/bin/wx-config --version

# eselect wxwidgets set 1

Setting wxWidgets profile to gtk2-ansi-release-2.6

$ /usr/bin/wx-config --version

I'm not sure about other distros though.

This is because on my system the path is /usr/include/wx-2.9/wx/wx.h
Why is it there?  Was it included by the OS, or did you have to build it?  If you built it, I wonder why it would put itself in a different place.

I don't understand this.  Which header?

4) /home/bticoin?
I don't see where I misspelled bitcoin.  Which file?

5) Strip optimizations from the Makefile and let the user provide them (or strip them properly)
I am uncertain what "optimizations" are.

6) Don't build static code. I have a Makefile that builds dynamic code. If you want I can send it to you. You will need to make changes to it.
I am not familiar with which parts of code are static and could be converted to dynamic.  I only prepared an ebuild because it seems nobody else has.  I am not skilled enough to perfect the ebuild, however, if anyone else would like to contribute towards making it better, I set up a git repository: http://github.com/mizerydearia/bitcoin_gentoo_ebuild
legendary
Activity: 1658
Merit: 1001
August 27, 2010, 01:22:35 AM
Some things:

2) wxgtk is only needed when building the gui, not the daemon (make that use flag dependable)
3) gtk+ is then dependency of wxgtk, don't ask for it yourself.
4) Check other programs if and how they use wxwidgets through eselect (you can have 2.6 and 2.8 slotted on the same system, you will need 2.9)
4) /home/bticoin?

Valuable reading material:
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml

founder
Activity: 364
Merit: 6472
August 26, 2010, 08:49:43 PM
Try -datadir=

Last time I tried $(shell /usr/bin/wx-config), there was immediate hollering about build problems with it.  There wasn't time to investigate at the time.

One problem with $(shell /usr/bin/wx-config) is it will pick up any version (wx 2.8 ) and any configuration (non-UTF-8 ) of wxWidgets that happens to be there.  -lwx_gtk2ud-2.9 only matches the right configuration.  It fails if wxWidgets was built with the wrong configuration.

Iirc, chatting in #wxwidgets on freenode, the devs there were baffled why that was used.
Did they say why they were baffled?

This is because on my system the path is /usr/include/wx-2.9/wx/wx.h
Why is it there?  Was it included by the OS, or did you have to build it?  If you built it, I wonder why it would put itself in a different place.

Has wxWidgets 2.9 finally started to become available as a debian package?

Maybe we should do this:

INCLUDEPATHS= \
 -I"/usr/local/include/wx-2.9" \
 -I"/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-debug-static-2.9" \
 -I"/usr/include/wx-2.9" \
 -I"/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-debug-static-2.9"

Again, those paths help make sure it's only 2.9 and will fail with 2.8.

wxWidgets 2.8 comes in ANSI and UTF-16, both wrong for us.  It's tempting because it's so easily available as a package; a lot of people were frustrated by it until we started hardcoding 2.9 into the makefile.
Activity: 574
Merit: 507
August 26, 2010, 02:10:29 AM
bitcoin ebuilds for gentoo linux

2011.03.02: bitcoin-git-9999 ebuild updated
outdated

Come to #bitcoin-gentoo on Freenode for latest
Pages:
Jump to: