Pages:
Author

Topic: Germany sacks Verizon over NSA spying - page 2. (Read 1614 times)

Activity: 218
Merit: 101
June 28, 2014, 09:53:52 PM
Merkel does it for public image, behind the doors she is on the same side. The German secret service is coorporating with the NSA, all germans citizen data (and US citizen data) is exchanged - and both have access to each others tools.

Good that people still have somewhat influence even for public image sake.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
June 28, 2014, 05:38:10 PM
There's definitely a market that needs to be fed in terms of offering suped up/encrypted phones that have a normal price range. I'm sure there's some BTC startup thinking about such a service.

I know there is an altcoin right now that is working on integration encrypted calling/video calling in to it's wallet. I know that's not the same as an encrypted phone, but with the way phones are going these days if you can get a secure open source phone from mozilla or something and run it as an app that is better than nothing, no?
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
June 28, 2014, 05:26:53 PM
There's definitely a market that needs to be fed in terms of offering suped up/encrypted phones that have a normal price range. I'm sure there's some BTC startup thinking about such a service.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
June 28, 2014, 05:00:21 PM
Short reporting clip from Russia Today on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxy8UShBjKc
Citing concerns over the NSA's wiretapping of Chancellor Angela Merkel and other top officials' phones, the German Interior Ministry announced Thursday that it will not renew its contract with Verizon to provide service for government ministries. As part of an effort to revamp its secure communications networks, the country will instead rely on Germany's own Deutsche Telekom. RT's Ameera David has more details on the announcement and its fallout.
Apparently, Merkel got herself a new 3400$ Blackberry w/ some special crypto chip in it so that all her communications are on lock down. I hope this is just a start in a world backlash against the NSA as well as continual and rising opposition to it from many her in America (notice I don't say the United States).

I wonder how much that cost Verizon.

I wonder if things like this will force corporations to decide to fight against the government intrusions. If it costs them enough money you can bet they will attempt to do something about it.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
June 28, 2014, 04:57:45 PM
People need to buy throw away phones, Pay as you go, Use a fake name and address then throw it away every 3 months. Or figure out that you can talk to people face to face with out the damn things.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
June 28, 2014, 04:56:44 PM
Citing concerns over the NSA's wiretapping of Chancellor Angela Merkel and other top officials' phones, the German Interior Ministry announced Thursday that it will not renew its contract with Verizon to provide service for government ministries. As part of an effort to revamp its secure communications networks, the country will instead rely on Germany's own Deutsche Telekom. RT's Ameera David has more details on the announcement and its fallout.
Apparently, Merkel got herself a new 3400$ Blackberry w/ some special crypto chip in it so that all her communications are on lock down. I hope this is just a start in a world backlash against the NSA as well as continual and rising opposition to it from many her in America (notice I don't say the United States).

Merkel does it for public image, behind the doors she is on the same side. The German secret service is coorporating with the NSA, all germans citizen data (and US citizen data) is exchanged - and both have access to each others tools.
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
June 28, 2014, 01:14:09 PM
Pages:
Jump to: