Pages:
Author

Topic: Getting around chargebacks selling BTC via eBay? - page 2. (Read 1730 times)

Activity: 396
Merit: 250
Bah. eBay is too difficult! What if you just auction off sending an empty envelope to the address? With delivery confirmation, they would have to sign for it, confirming the received the envelope. That would be forced proof that a letter was received.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Buyer signs for order, redeems the BTC and then charges the item back as "item not as described".  They happily return the worthless piece of paper back to you.

Activity: 396
Merit: 250
I had an idea, though I'm not sure how good of a one. I read eBay prohibited items list that you could include as a "bonus" or "freebie" for auctions, and it specifically lists currency as one that is not valid, but seeing as BTC isn't recognized as an official currency anywhere in the world, I figured this scenario might work.

Item listed: 1 - 1"x1" B&W printout of the Bitcoin Logo, mailed to via USPS with delivery confirmation so the accepting party must sign for it. Only ships to verified Paypal addresses within the USA. No credit cards accepted (to reduce fees associated with accepting them).

List the item for whatever you want to sell the BTC for, plus shipping costs ($3.40 for a 1oz, 1 stamp letter w/ delivery confirmation). Let's say you want to sell for 1 BTC for $15.00 + shipping. Total would be $18.40 for the purchase (if someone wanted to pay that to get BTC easy). You could do it as a "Buy It Now" listing with say 100 "bitcoin logos" for sale. Orders for multiple of the same would be able to bundle shipping and reduce costs, up to X amount of "bitcoin logos" per envelope (1 page should hold 90 1x1 logos easy, up to 4 pages per envelope to stay under 1oz weight requirement). If someone buys 10 "bitcoin logos", this brings their cost per bitcoin down from $18.40 for 1 to $15.34. Not a bad price for the ease of using Paypal. The BTCs (paid out as a "bonus") would be sent within 24 hours of purchase to the given wallet address. The letters would be mailed out within the same time frame (barring Sunday, of course), and the recipient would have to sign for the letter, acknowledging receipt. This should prevent the purchaser from being able to submit a complaint with eBay to get a refund and screw you out of BTCs.

Opinions on this? I know eBay is very buyer-oriented and will try and side with them. I know people could still attempt to submit an "item not as described" claim. I know Paypal is risky. I'm just considering this as an option and wondering about its viability.

-Moose
Pages:
Jump to: