Pages:
Author

Topic: GHash.IO and double-spending against BetCoin Dice - page 8. (Read 112009 times)

legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1358
The possibility of this happening was known since the very beginning so why are you all freaking out now when it's too late? No central bank you say? The entity with the most computing power is the central bank. Will be interesting what happens now.
That's much worse than any central bank. Central banks usually are public companies. Such structures are regulated by law and/or by government executives.

We have no law or public authority here, so this "central bank" is able to do whatever the owner wants. And nobody can stop, inspect or regulate such type of activity. It's absolute monarchy as is. The owner may be able to accept or decline any new protocol rules or updates, for example...
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067
Christian Antkow
 Glad I bailed on ghash when I did, but this is scary to see their hash rate climb near 51%, and all we do is just sit back and watch it like a bad horror movie Sad

So this is how Bitcoin dies... (?)
Activity: 30
Merit: 0
This will be affecting adoption rates massively. If I were thinking of buying in and I were doing my due diligence, this would certainly put me off.
Activity: 392
Merit: 116
Worlds Simplest Cryptocurrency Wallet
The possibility of this happening was known since the very beginning so why are you all freaking out now when it's too late? No central bank you say? The entity with the most computing power is the central bank. Will be interesting what happens now.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
Situation is getting too risky. I can't trust bitcoin when a single entity control almost half of hashing power. No one should trust it.
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Hopefully we can all sort this, I've put up my current mining share on there for sale since I'm not heavily invested in it, more of a get to know how it works deal. Anyone care to make a p2pool tutorial video for each version?
legendary
Activity: 1974
Merit: 1075
^ Will code for Bitcoins
The cex.io price per GH/s is consistently too high to earn a bitcoin profit, yet people still pay it.

Do you really think that other people, who do the opposite of what you do, are just plain stupid? Have it ever occured to you maybe you don't know something they do? CEX.IO is a trading platform, not a mining pool. If you can't earn a profit there, it doesn't mean someone else can't.
Activity: 692
Merit: 500

And Still growing, pool speed up from 4.16PH to 4.61PH over last 2 shifts (8 mins each).  Perhaps they'll reach 51% by the weekend
Edit : 4.7PH 4.81PH now...
legendary
Merit: 1001
things you own end up owning you

this is how it looks now, the community have to do something about it
Activity: 352
Merit: 250
https://www.realitykeys.com
* what would be the implications of reaching 51%?

Hard to say, but somebody had lost a lot of bitcoins to theft or fraud, and instead of being a purely distributed p2p network, Bitcoin was now controlled by one mining company that had the technical ability to censor and even reverse the transactions in question, that somebody might want to explore whether the mining company had any legal liability to refund what they had lost...
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
gmaxwell quote from above:  "for GHash.io/CEX.io: the miners are captive and cannot leave"

The cex.io price per GH/s is consistently too high to earn a bitcoin profit, yet people still pay it.  If someone were to create a similar service to cex.io but allow short-selling of GH/s, then I'm certain this would drive the price to its natural level.  Miners would then leave cex.io in favour of this new cloud-mining farm and CEX/Ghash would have less money to re-invest in new mining hardware.  

It's like they are able to grow because their customers are eager to lose money for the privilege of "cloud mining."
Activity: 692
http://organofcorti.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/december-8th-2013-weekly-pool-and.html
1. BTCGuild and GHash.IO
GHash.IO overtook BTCGuild this week - they now have a quarter of a percent more of the network than BTCGuild.

Last week I wrote:
"GHash.IO keep increasing their share of the network, most likely due to CEX.IO trading. I'm not sure how I feel about this - it's an increase in the proportion controlled by a single entity, but in effect any pool has the same control of hashes. It should make no difference that (as far as I'm aware) CEX.IO maintains the hash sources locally rather than the sources being distributed. Is there a downside I'm not understanding?"
I received a couple of good responses on bitcointalk.org:

From eleuthria, BTCGuild pool op:
"Only extra worry from cex.io/ghash.io that is different from past concerns is accountability.  If a public pool *attempted* to do something nefarious that pool just committed suicide whether they succeed or fail at the gamble.  When a pool that has ~1 PH/s (based on estimates looking at their speed fluctuations during known pool issues for public vs private) privately owned, there is no accountability left.  Pair that with using a 0% fee for what was already the 2nd largest mining entity before the public was allowed in.  If they attempt something, there is basically no downside.  If the public hashrate leaves due to an attempt, they aren't actually losing anything (no fee) other than the mining time on their private farm."

From gmaxwell, bitcoin developer:
"The excuse giving for years of why consolidations of ten percent, twenty percent, or even more, in the hands of pool operators didn't effectively disprove the Bitcoin security model was that pool operators were more obligated than a typical miner to behave with the public interest at heart because the hashrate controlling miners could vote with their feet.

I've never been too fond of the argument: evidence (e.g. miners voting with their feet very slowly even when a pool is clearly robbing them) suggests otherwise... But that argument doesn't even exist for GHash.io/CEX.io: the miners are captive and cannot leave. Worse, there is a moral hazard because an unknown portion of the hardware is paid for by other people (at top dollar rates too) and so if some stunt they perform debases its value... so what? Heck, perhaps it drops the market value down to nothing an cex can buy their obligations back for a song. This means that CEX.io can probably profit from an attack even if that attack ultimately fails."

Thanks for explaining that, guys. I feel a little foolish for not having taken market forces into account.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

If this happens expect a little bit of panic and BTC price dropping. If I were GHash.IO I would be actively selling as much bitcoin as possible right about now. Unless they have honour and stop the pool from getting over 50%, but from the sounds of it they have no honour and would rather cause panic.
Activity: 574
42%, up from 38% 4 days ago. Would be good to have a graph over time.

* what was the most recorded % of any pool? I thought BTC guild had 49% for quite a while.

* Why are people adding and not running away?

ignorance. and the possibility that its their own hashing power being added, terribly frightening. Hopefully mining companies can start to produce and deliver closer to dates and re assure people that they won't get bfl'd lol I'd have a miner if it didn't require such a leap of faith D:
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
42%, up from 38% 4 days ago. Would be good to have a graph over time.

* what was the most recorded % of any pool? I thought BTC guild had 49% for quite a while.

* Why are people adding and not running away?
legendary
things you own end up owning you
Ok now we reached that point, there is a potential risk and something has to be done now, today I was checking again to just see this

https://blockchain.info/pools?timespan=24hrs

Activity: 93
Merit: 10
This is a flaw of a decentralized currency powered by democracy. The following is a nice video on explaining the implications of this effect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tWHJfhiyo

In essence, those who are worrying about a single pool getting to 51% (i.e. "first past the post") will go to the second largest pool, instead to the smaller ones. Essentially only two pools will be left.

Same with the two-party system in America.

If only two pools are left, then definitely one of them will cross the 51% mark and the other one will be decimated.

The analogy is false. Firstly, there is no cultural component that favours membership in any one pool over any other (as there is with the political party system). Secondly, as opposed to the political party system, when it comes to Bitcoin there is a much more limited number of variables at play. Thirdly, switching pools is trivial, and since it is the miners themselves who stand to lose the most by destroying the network, they have the greatest incentive to switch, as opposed to the political party system where, in principle at least, achieving 100% power is desirable.

I would add, simply, that this is an explanation for two parties emerging in a system of winner-take-all elections.  It doesn't apply to mining because it's not winner take all.  With smaller pools, and individual miner simply gets bigger shares of less-frequent blocks.
legendary
Activity: 1106
This is a flaw of a decentralized currency powered by democracy. The following is a nice video on explaining the implications of this effect:

In essence, those who are worrying about a single pool getting to 51% (i.e. "first past the post") will go to the second largest pool, instead to the smaller ones. Essentially only two pools will be left.

If only two pools are left, then definitely one of them will cross the 51% mark and the other one will be decimated.

The analogy is false. Firstly, there is no cultural component that favours membership in any one pool over any other (as there is with the political party system). Secondly, as opposed to the political party system, when it comes to Bitcoin there is a much more limited number of variables at play. Thirdly, switching pools is trivial, and since it is the miners themselves who stand to lose the most by destroying the network, they have the greatest incentive to switch, as opposed to the political party system where, in principle at least, achieving 100% power is desirable.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

what I don't understand is how miners keep joining BTCguild when they have many other pools with lower hashrate, some even join the private pool GHash.IO !!!!

When I minded I used P2Pool https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/P2Pool

I remember mining at P2pool as well, but the problem at the time was dust, I would pay crazy fees for transactions, although I was looking at P2pool and the Litecoin Devs with the Bitcoin devs were giving funds to make a better software that solves many of the problems, I don't know how is it today with P2Pool since I stopped mining a long time ago but I think this problem is solved.

Hint: you can still use P2pool even if the dust issue still exist,  the key to reduce this problem is to use coin control, you simply take all inputs to one transaction and pay the fee only once, this is what I was doing...

and P2Pool is the only solution for decentralized mining so I don't know if miners understand that and at least give it a try !

I felt a moral obligation to use p2pool so I just did. Everyone should make that decision for themselves though.
Pages:
Jump to: