Pages:
Author

Topic: [GLBSE] ABSORB - Emulating BTC/USD margin trading - page 2. (Read 4057 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
Do you have a plan if 4 or 6 is reached before the 28th?
In this case the issue will be aborted. By the rules of the contract this will settle the bonds' value, which makes it pointless to issue them.

This idea is much less fancy and inspiring than PureMining and Anti-Pirate.
Maybe so, but still badly needed. I've had a few ideas how to achieve this functionality which might be a bit more "fancy", but also more needlessly complicated.
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1005
This idea is much less fancy and inspiring than PureMining and Anti-Pirate.

But still a very good idea overall, cleanly designed with no clutter. Smiley
Activity: 609
Merit: 501
peace
thanks for the inspiration !
Do you have a plan if 4 or 6 is reached before the 28th?
donator
What happens in the case that MtGox gets eaten by Godzilla tomorrow and closes down before reaching neither 4 nor 6 USD?
This is to be finalized, but I think we'll first reach an agreement that Mtgox isn't coming back in the foreseeable future, and in this case, I'll buy all bonds according to a simple algorithmic evaluation of their worth, based on the last trade price (I'll give more details later but if the price is $5.5, I'll buy the long bonds for roughly 0.75 BTC and the short bonds for roughly 0.25 BTC).

I like the fact that GLBSE is becomming a "betting" site more and more... Smiley
I'd like it even better if we had a proper predictions market. Though I had a few other ideas for margin instruments which are more suitable for GLBSE than a predictions market.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1007
What happens in the case that MtGox gets eaten by Godzilla tomorrow and closes down before reaching neither 4 nor 6 USD?

I like the fact that GLBSE is becomming a "betting" site more and more... Smiley
donator
1) To clarify, do the securities pay based on the first trade at 6.00$ BTC/USD or 4.00$ BTC/USD (a so-called "one-touch" option) ?
If I understand you correctly, yes - the first time there is a trade at at least $6, the long bond becomes entitled for 1 BTC no matter what happens later. The first time there is a trade at at most $4, the bond immediately expires.

2) By buying the short bonds, one doesn't truly short BTC/USD, because if the exchange rate goes to ~0 BTC/USD, the bonds are effectively worthless in USD.
It's an approximation which I think would be good for most use cases. It isn't for someone who believes the price will crash to 0 in the middle of the night. But someone who believes in a gradual decline (like the one from $31 to $2) - whether if it is because Bitcoin is going to fail, or because it is currently overvalued and things will get worse before they get better - can buy a short bond, roughly double his bitcoins, and then sell them or reinvest in a new shorting instrument.

3) Do these securities make the market more efficient? Suppose a USD-holding party thinks BTC/USD is overvalued and wants buy the short securities (thus shorting BTC/USD), they must buy BTC/USD on an exchange, thus raising the BTC/USD price. Therefore, this party has the opposite impact that they should to stabilize the market.
I think so. As a matter of general principle, I believe that for every action there is an equal reaction, and that it's impossible to make a bet on a market without it ending up affecting the market itself.

By way of specific mechanism, I as an issuer have a certain position I wish to achieve. If someone buys a short bond, he'll have to buy 0.5 BTC for it, but I will also need to hedge my position by either:
1. Selling 2.5 BTC, or
2. Issuing more long bonds and/or decreasing their price, in an amount sufficient for someone else to buy one more long bond - preventing him from buying 2.5 BTC.

Of course, this is all amortized over many trades, so is more difficult to see on a smaller scale.

The crux of #2 and #3 is the securities are BTC-denominated as opposed to USD-denominated, and the argument against denominating them in USD is obvious (regulation, etc.).
Right. It's an approximation designed to answer specific needs with as little overhead as possible - and it relies on other markets in order to ultimately transfer USD in or out.
Activity: 165
Merit: 100
Meni, I'm sure you've considered the following and I would like to hear your thoughts.

1) To clarify, do the securities pay based on the first trade at 6.00$ BTC/USD or 4.00$ BTC/USD (a so-called "one-touch" option) ?
2) By buying the short bonds, one doesn't truly short BTC/USD, because if the exchange rate goes to ~0 BTC/USD, the bonds are effectively worthless in USD.
3) Do these securities make the market more efficient? Suppose a USD-holding party thinks BTC/USD is overvalued and wants buy the short securities (thus shorting BTC/USD), they must buy BTC/USD on an exchange, thus raising the BTC/USD price. Therefore, this party has the opposite impact that they should to stabilize the market.

The crux of #2 and #3 is the securities are BTC-denominated as opposed to USD-denominated, and the argument against denominating them in USD is obvious (regulation, etc.).
donator
(reserved)
donator
tl; dr: If the BTC price reaches $6 before it reaches $4, every ABSORB.1.4-6.LONG bond will be bought for 1 BTC. Otherwise, every ABSORB.1.4-6.SHORT bond will be bought for 1 BTC.

Introduction. Bitcoinica's suspension of operations has left a void among those in need of buying bitcoins on leverage or selling them short. It was only a matter of time until alternative instruments were to be introduced, in particular by utilizing the GLBSE platform. The ABSORB family of bonds aims to be just that - while conveniently satisfying my own need for this functionality.

Operation. The first series to be issued is ABSORB.1.4-6.LONG and ABSORB.1.4-6.SHORT. Their settlement depends on what happens first: BTC is traded on Mt. Gox at a price of $6 USD (or higher), or at a price of $4 USD (or lower). If $6 comes first, every ABSORB.1.4-6.LONG bond will be bought back for 1 BTC, while ABSORB.1.4-6.SHORT will become worthless. If $4 comes first, every ABSORB.1.4-6.SHORT bond will be bought back for 1 BTC, while ABSORB.1.4-6.LONG will become worthless.

The issue price is TBD but is expected to be around 0.5 BTC for each bond. Buying ABSORB.1.4-6.LONG or ABSORB.1.4-6.SHORT, respectively, is very similar to buying or selling BTC at roughly 5:1 leverage (if the BTC price increases/decreases by 20%, the investment will be doubled/erased).

Series details. Initially, 400 ABSORB.1.4-6.LONG bonds and 200 ABSORB.1.4-6.SHORT bonds will be offered. The IPO will be on May 28th 2012, the hour will depend on my availability (I'll have limited availability during that time).

Baseline value. The baseline value of an ABSORB bond is defined as the expected value of the bond, in USD, under the assumption that the exchange rate follows a driftless exponential Brownian motion, translated to today's bitcoins. For a pair of bonds settled by reaching $L or $H, with the current BTC price being $M, the baseline value of the long bond, in BTC, is

[ln (M/L) / ln (H/L)]*(H/M)

And for the short bond it is

[ln (H/M) / ln (H/L)]*(L/M).

The baseline value will be used as a guideline to choosing the IPO price of the bonds, but the final price will be determined by my own needs.

Termination. The issuer has neither the right nor the obligation to buy the bonds back before they are settled. Bondholders are of course welcome to try to sell bonds on the open market, which is likely to react to any changes in the BTC price.

In extreme external circumstances which render the bond meaningless, such as extended suspension of Mt. Gox (according to which settlement is decided) or GLBSE (through which settlement payment is to be disbursed), the bonds will be bought back for their baseline price, with M being the last traded price on Mt. Gox.

Leverage. Under the assumption that the baseline value accurately reflects the worth of the bond, holding long bonds with a total value of 1 BTC is locally equivalent to holding 1/ln(M/L) BTC (that is, an increase of $0.01 in the exchange rate increases the total USD value of the bonds by $0.01/ln(M/L)). Holding 1 BTC worth of short bonds is equivalent to holding (-1)/ln(H/M) BTC.
Pages:
Jump to: