Pages:
Author

Topic: Gliph - Secure Messaging and Bitcoin Transfers on iOS, Android and the Web - page 2. (Read 12742 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Just downloaded the app on iOS, pretty nice app. I am loving these new bitcoin apps hitting iOS lately! Great work, make sure to keep the security up. Is it possible to implement TOR?
Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

You could've just used the open sourced Textsecure client and server crypto engineering which is known to be secure/audited with your custom UI/app to also send coins. Much easier than rolling your own. You can still sell the app if a lot of people use it regardless if it's guts are entirely made up of Textsecure with some added bitcoin functionality.

If the goal is to sell this software with custom crypto engineering you should consider message encryption using a fast native stream cipher like Salsa20 (or ChaCha) + polynomial MAC (Poly1305, VMAC). I would also use ephemeral keys, ECDH over Curve25519 or copy what Textsecure has done to create each session(s) with temporary keys. Ditch RSA +OAEP, just use a curve to derive a key it's much less complex. You save a lot of bandwidth too using Poly1305 which should be essential for any mobile app.

I assume you've also done self signed distributed certs or pinning http://thoughtcrime.org/blog/authenticity-is-broken-in-ssl-but-your-app-ha/

Finally pay somebody respected to audit your software since money transactions and private messaging is involved. Ask this guy who respected crypto engineers are that can be contracted for auditing: https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green this will generate more interest in your app since none of us can verify the code.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
Bitcoin for Everyone
Hi Rob, all good news, but have you opened sourced Gliph yet?
Hey there, is this Wendell posting? I want to clarify so there is no sense of this being a Hive vs Gliph Q&A. We like Hive and what it is doing and are not positioning our company to be in competition with Hive.

Regardless, thanks for posing this important question again, I'll seek to clarify this:

We do not have plans to open source Gliph. Gliph does leverage open source components, and we have already contributed valuable open source code in the mobile space, specifically related to cross-platform Bluetooth technology to the bitcoin community.

As I mentioned previously in this thread, I explained in detail the reasons it is unlikely Gliph's code base will be open sourced at this time in one of my previous interviews with Adam Levine on Let's Talk Bitcoin. I ask if you have questions that were not answered there to direct them to me personally and I can try to explain. You can send me a message through this message board or use this link to chat with me: https://gliph.me/x68

There are some folks who feel that software products they use must be open source or rely solely on distributed technology. We believe open source is very important and support those people and their choices of products that do that. We also celebrate the value of distributed systems.  

However, Gliph is still a startup and it is not our focus to satisfy these requirements. As Muhammed sort of indicates below, Gliph is focused on building something that makes fantastic compromises between privacy, security, real-world utility and great user experiences. We can't do everything, or we'd accomplish nothing.

I like the protection and privacy you guaranty. I hope Gliph will prevent data from the best hackers. Anyway take precautions for a back up like security. Good Luck!
Thank you, Muhammed. If you are interested in testing some of the stuff we have coming, please let me know!

--

A few folks signed up, but if anyone else is interested in the Android beta program, please feel free to join here: https://plus.google.com/communities/115060523812882093982

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Privacy is one of our core beliefs. We created a privacy policy to demonstrate this. Part of providing privacy means preventing your data from being snooped on.

Gliph secures data in ways that most other messaging clients (like Whatsapp, GroupMe and Kik) do not. There are also options out there that are a better fit for high security needs (like certain implementations of PGP and OTR).

With Gliph, conversations and personal data are encrypted by SSL over the wire. This information is then encrypted in memory using your password and AES-256. We have an option that renders your account and data unrecoverable without your personal password.

We also have a variety of features for the privacy and security conscious user you might want to check out:

I like the protection and privacy you guaranty. I hope Gliph will prevent data from the best hackers. Anyway take precautions for a back up like security. Good Luck!

Kindly,
        Muhammed Zakhir
Activity: 378
Merit: 325
hivewallet.com
Hi Rob, all good news, but have you opened sourced Gliph yet?
Bitcoin for Everyone
Hey there. We're planning to send out the first beta of the new Gliph Android app we've been working on tomorrow.

If you're interested in having a look, you can request to join the google group we use to distribute the test version.

https://plus.google.com/communities/115060523812882093982

rob
Bitcoin for Everyone
Hey Bitcoin Talk folks,

We are currently beta testing some new features on Gliph. I wanted to give the BitcoinTalk community a chance to check it out and provide feedback.

• If you're generally interested in trying out some new Gliph stuff, please send an email to support at gli.ph.
  • If you're interested specifically in testing the Android app as we make changes, we have a google group for that.
  • We also have an iPhone testing group. Again, email support@ if you're interested in being a part.

Rob
Bitcoin for Everyone
Hey Folks,

Gliph is in the final set. We would totally appreciate a few votes from the Bitcoin Talk community!

No registration required:

Vote Gliph, Best Mobile App

Thank you! Smiley

rob
Bitcoin for Everyone
Hey Bitcoin Talk folks,

I wanted to check in on two things:

1. Gliph is up for nomination for Best Mobile App on the Blockchain Awards. We would appreciate your nomination, by tomorrow, for the award. Feel free to nominate folks for any of the categories!

Nominate Gliph Here

2. We are running our second annual photo contest. We select a few winners which we feature on the site and in our marketing. We give preference to photos of pets, so feel free to submit something for inclusion.

Enter a photo in the Gliph photo contest.

It has been a little while since we put out new Bitcoin features, but we have some great stuff on the way! Thanks for your support!

rob
Bitcoin for Everyone
Hey folks. I'm writing to request help testing a new feature we're working on for Gliph.

The feature focuses on Craigslist, and making craigslist a better place to use Bitcoin.  If you use Craigslist to sell items often and would like to test it out, please send me an email rob  at   gli . ph.  I'd be happy to help you get set up for a test run, in exchange for your feedback on the experience and how we could improve things.

Also, I updated the thread to reflect that you can't send Bitcoin using the iOS app anymore. Please note, you can still send using Mobile Safari.

Rob
Activity: 70
What a clever looking little application.  May have to give this one a go and report back here with my review.  Thanks for posting and sharing this nifty tool.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto

That's unfortunate. There's no reason to use it now, for me anyways.
hivewallet.com
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
[...] (except newar, please see note above) has now received their Bitcents. [...]

Sorry for the late reply. I got my bitcent pretty much straight away after chatting with you.

I still like Gliph a lot and use it where I can. The only thing I noticed: I'm on very slow networks sometimes (for comparisons, think 14.4k modems...). I noticed that Whatsapp messages still manage to sneak through, whereas on Gliph they get stuck. I would also like to be able to write messages offline and Gliph would then send them once I got connectivity again.

For gli.ph/m/ could we get a "regular" interface? That Iphone doesn't work for usability IMHO.

Edit: Can you "even out" the features set between the Iphone and Android app?

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1001
https://gliph.me/hUF
I can't see te feature to send money anywhere.

When in the chat, tap the "+" next to the box where you would type a message.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1007
I can't see te feature to send money anywhere.
Activity: 112
Coffee makes it all better!
Not to mention, Let's Talk Bitcoin is an excellent podcast, highly recommended.
Bitcoin for Everyone
What are the reasons for not opening it?
Like I said, please have a listen to the talk with Adam linked above. You can skip forward to it. I go into great detail and you can hear it directly from me.
hivewallet.com
I don't like having my time wasted either. If you care to listen to the podcast, you'll hear that Gliph is not built for the most paranoid. Yet is practical for people who are otherwise using closed-source and plaintext communication tools like GroupMe, Whatsapp and SMS.

We're happy to recommend open source solutions to folks like yourself. Again, I'd recommend checking out the podcast as it is a good overview of Gliph and our stance on open source.

We have open sourced a project within Gliph, which is software for transferring bitcoin over low energy bluetooth. That repo is here: https://github.com/Gliph/

What are the reasons for not opening it?
Bitcoin for Everyone
Indeed. It's a total waste of time to advertise a closed source product to the most paranoid (including me) people on the internet in my opinion.
I don't like having my time wasted either. If you care to listen to the podcast, you'll hear that Gliph is not built for the most paranoid. Yet is practical for people who are otherwise using closed-source and plaintext communication tools like GroupMe, Whatsapp and SMS.

We're happy to recommend open source solutions to folks like yourself. Again, I'd recommend checking out the podcast as it is a good overview of Gliph and our stance on open source.

We have open sourced a project within Gliph, which is software for transferring bitcoin over low energy bluetooth. That repo is here: https://github.com/Gliph/
Pages:
Jump to: