Pages:
Author

Topic: GMO miner B2: 7NM mining within reach? - page 3. (Read 2774 times)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 221
We are not retail.
July 16, 2018, 01:55:08 PM
Ok, so my original thought was correct about the b3 fans?

Aren't these rated at higher wattage than 2k? You'll at least have voltage "control" in the UI to bring it down to b2 spec. Still "vaporware" till we're closer to release date. Way to early GMO, you've already changed your design in a few months. Maybe soon they'll figure out a third model that has the speed with efficiencies we want to see by Oct.

@sidehack: I imagine your question is rhetorical but for the sake of discourse.  ..

Retooling can be costly so I imagine design is centered to manufacturing, look at Obilisk for example. It will be hard to break the narrow tube design, packing heat sinks in a jar like they're cotton balls. Maybe someone will be bold and change the game for the industry.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
July 16, 2018, 11:58:18 AM
I wondered about that.

I also wondered - why make a machine for which that's necessary?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
July 16, 2018, 10:06:47 AM
Does anyone here have anything to add about the double fans?

Just that they are not stacked fans. Each is a single fan like the Delta GFB1212VHW that uses a 76.2mm deep housing to accommodate deeper fan blades.

edit: added DigiKey link to the Delta fan
Activity: 402
Merit: 116
July 16, 2018, 01:56:00 AM
Does anyone here have anything to add about the double fans?

Will that actually be more efficient than 1 bigger fan?

I'm quite curious since they don't mention that part in any of their FAQ
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
July 14, 2018, 06:29:49 PM
my post on avalons hooking up to the rasp pi controller was deleted.

There was a point to it.  So I will re phrase

max avalons on a controller = 20

I have found 12 on a controller work far better then 20.

so 60%  of max = really good results.

100% of max = more errors.

No one knows  what the max will be for this new gear.

I caution buyers that what is said to be the max  by the builder  may work  or you may need to do 60% of the max daisy-chain the builder of this gear says you can do.

So if you are getting a lot of these keep in mind you may not be able to the full amount the builder say that you can do.

Since this is speculation I will speculate that  50 to 65%  of the number said to be the max by the builder  will work better with less errors then 100% of the max the builder says you can do.
Activity: 658
Merit: 21
4 s9's 2 821's
July 12, 2018, 10:55:51 AM
go to B2 press release where some features are explained more completely.

Only requires plugging one of them into the internet, and the rest hook up to eachother

Just like the Avalons....saves on running multiple ethernet wire all over the place, although the Avalon's start to get some weird errors after five are connected.   Still five is better than one.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
July 11, 2018, 11:51:55 PM
there is a "spec" for it on their site, what states: Daisy Chain   MAX 32 units.. .whatever this means, I am curious if anyone has some actual info on this! Smiley

go to B2 press release where some features are explained more completely.

Only requires plugging one of them into the internet, and the rest hook up to eachother
We are not retail.
July 04, 2018, 12:28:45 PM
Did you pay using the email they provided to you after you completed the purchase application? or was it done on their website?

I just do the marketing for mfb but from what I understand is they send BTC/BCH addresses and wire information. You pay to your preference, no need to contact them directly unless you need to. B2 is sold out though, B3 is available for Nov.
Activity: 8
July 04, 2018, 10:00:18 AM
Broker just shared this even though it is a generic reply our first 100 batch order is in.

[...]

Did you pay using the email they provided to you after you completed the purchase application? or was it done on their website?
We are not retail.
June 28, 2018, 02:22:28 PM
Sad we missed that, broker got the invoice a moment ago. We'll have to contact buyers and soak transaction fees for those who don't want to wait or position funds for another buy.

Thank you.
Activity: 265
Merit: 232
June 28, 2018, 02:17:21 PM
Where is the October verbiage? GMO's site says July batch but their taking "applications" for orders.

It was in all of their press releases, presentation, and also still currently on their pricing page, although that now says shipping November 2018. FAQ still says end of October for June orders.
We are not retail.
June 27, 2018, 11:17:43 PM
Broker just shared this even though it is a generic reply our first 100 batch order is in.

Quote from: GMO
Thank you for your interest in GMO miner.
------------------------------------------------------------
Since the mass production system of GMO miner B2 is in place, we are now able to provide GMO miner B2,
 to every customer after the payment is confirmed. For the delivery date please check your invoice.
------------------------------------------------------------

Within the next business day, we will send you the Terms and Conditions,
invoice and bank wire instructions regarding your order.
Please bear in mind that your application will be deemed completed only
after the wire transfer is verified on our end.

Please note that those who process the payment within the due date will be eligible for the order.

Should you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact the GMO miner Team. We appreciate your patience and business.

Thank you.

Sincerely Yours,
GMO miner Support Team
[email protected]
We are not retail.
June 25, 2018, 07:00:27 PM
Where is the October verbiage? GMO's site says July batch but their taking "applications" for orders.
Activity: 392
Merit: 102
June 24, 2018, 08:48:04 AM
is this already out in the market? if so any reviews on the performance? this might crush the bitmains dominance over the bitcoin network hashrate and people will finally stop crying about china controlling bitcoin/bcash lol looking forward to this technology
No. At the moment, we will have to wait until at least October - 5 months, before anyone will see a unit.
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
June 21, 2018, 02:05:08 PM
I figured I would chime in from my perspective running a large scale datacenter.

The powerdraw and the anticipated heat problems are both deal killers. I would have to build a whole new power infrastructure to run these things and id end up with like 2 machines per shelf. Its a waste of space to try and shoehorn these into an existing setup. Obviously the things wont run in pretty much any crypto datacenter with the heat they will be pushing out. I dont know of any datacenter not in the arctic that can run cold enough in the summer to keep these things online. This is all not to mention how new, unproven, and quite probably unreliable the first generation of these miners/chips will be. I *might* order one as a test, but im leaning towards not bothering unless there are changes to the packaging and power requirements.

Also, Bitmain has delayed their next new miner and im betting they will release it just in time to take the wind out of GMOs sales. Better to go with the devil you know rather than the devil you dont. Bitmain will ship an as advertised unit and they will most likely ship it on time. As much hate as they receive they do get the job done.
Activity: 8
June 18, 2018, 11:55:07 AM
Does the actual unit have 2 network ports like the renderings and are they using the extra port to make them daisy-chainable?

there is a "spec" for it on their site, what states: Daisy Chain   MAX 32 units.. .whatever this means, I am curious if anyone has some actual info on this! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
June 11, 2018, 11:55:15 AM
these apparently have some kind of GPS tracking enabled that they say is for locating during theft.
I doubt they are using GPS as interference from the miners would pretty much keep it from acquiring satellites. More likely it is just simple IP address lookup being used.

Question is: Are the miners constantly phoning home or does it only happen during boot? Where are the miners reporting to - a GMO site? If the tracking 'is for theft prevention' that implies that the miners can also be remotely shutdown ala' the Bitmain Antbleed kerfuffle. Can't wait for the rampant speculation to start on this one... Anyone need pitchforks and torches?

The last thing I want is ANY device be it a miner, TV, computer, whatever, to be phoning home. Hell, I even keep GPS/location reporting turned off on my phone.
Activity: 265
Merit: 232
June 11, 2018, 11:34:42 AM
I was watching the english version of the presentation and these apparently have some kind of GPS tracking enabled that they say is for locating during theft. They claimed they are already testing/mining with a B1 miner, which is not for sale to the public. B2 is still only in tape-out and they have no chips yet. Warranty is only 180 days.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
June 09, 2018, 09:41:53 AM
And if you're on 208V and derate to 80%, a 20A circuit gets you 1 machine (and 48% utilization); 30A circuit gets you 2 (and 64% utilization).
Though a 60A PDU and 80% derate would run exactly 5 without a lot of overhead.

208's pretty common for industrial-scale electric, even in datacenters.

And the point still stands that the power density and cooling requirements mean these'll only run where your intake temperatures are regulated to probably 60F and lower. In my farm, that means I could run one for at most five months out of the year. If someone bought one and sent it here for hosting I'd have to turn it down. Got enough trouble keeping S9s cool May through August.

The biggest reason I kept the t1s was -ck s speed control.

Low 14.4 th
Medium 15.5 th
Fast 16.5 Th.

That low setting solves my cooling issues in the summer .

The company GMO now has a hotbox doing 1950-1990 watts taking money for preorders .

First will it do all pools I don’t know
Second can I run it at 80% to avoid overheating I don’t know.
Yeah I get it that industrial spots may have really good cooling. But a lot of farms do not cool that way.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
June 09, 2018, 09:18:34 AM
And if you're on 208V and derate to 80%, a 20A circuit gets you 1 machine (and 48% utilization); 30A circuit gets you 2 (and 64% utilization).
Though a 60A PDU and 80% derate would run exactly 5 without a lot of overhead.

208's pretty common for industrial-scale electric, even in datacenters.

And the point still stands that the power density and cooling requirements mean these'll only run where your intake temperatures are regulated to probably 60F and lower. In my farm, that means I could run one for at most five months out of the year. If someone bought one and sent it here for hosting I'd have to turn it down. Got enough trouble keeping S9s cool May through August.
Pages:
Jump to: