Pages:
Author

Topic: Governments will never jump in... - page 2. (Read 5477 times)

Activity: 254
Merit: 250
August 24, 2012, 11:23:23 PM
Don't forget emp nukes in the stratosphere. Then there is always all out nuclear warfare. Where are your precious bitcoins now?  Grin

I have silver, too. Wink
Well, I hope you can eat it, because everything and everyone else will be dead.  Wink

I have bullets. 
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 24, 2012, 11:12:48 PM
Don't forget emp nukes in the stratosphere. Then there is always all out nuclear warfare. Where are your precious bitcoins now?  Grin

I have silver, too. Wink
Well, I hope you can eat it, because everything and everyone else will be dead.  Wink

If I'm actually the last person on the planet, I'll be sure to turn out the lights.  That's not too likely, though. Especially in an EMP-only attack, and even all out nuclear warfare won't kill everyone. Silver has been selected as the medium of exchange repeatedly, over the course of human history, and it would again. In the meantime, knowledge is much more valuable, and I've been sure to cultivate that as well.
donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1010
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
August 24, 2012, 10:49:13 PM

I have silver, too. Wink
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 24, 2012, 10:41:17 PM

I have silver, too. Wink
donator
August 24, 2012, 10:37:07 PM
You guys give the government way too much credit...
I agree.

They are always 10 years about simple things they are AWARE of.

By the time they muster any kind reasonable policy towards BTC their fiat currencies will be crumbling. They think they can ignore the financial crisis both (EU and US), print money and shift the burden to the regular folks - this time it's different; with a click of the mouse people can flee inflation.

And then they push the Internet Kill Switch™. Still not bothered? How about the power grid?

It won't make any difference as long as there isn't worldwide infrastructure in place. We need community networks and decentralized power generation in conjuncture with decentralized manufacturing. Anything above the physical layer is meaningless as they are ultimately just as much in control.

If you wanna play with the big boys you better be bold enough to go all the way and participate in an effort to replace the entire civilization. I'm sick of people thinking that BTC is their messiahs or something. It won't mean anything as long it isn't done all the way through. Only a small minority even on this forums does comprehend that.

Bitcoin can play a role in this paradigm shift. But it isn't even essential.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
August 24, 2012, 02:48:01 PM
I agree.

By the time they muster any kind reasonable policy towards BTC their fiat currencies will be crumbling. They think they can ignore the financial crisis both (EU and US), print money and shift the burden to the regular folks - this time it's different; with a click of the mouse people can flee inflation.

And then they push the Internet Kill Switch™. Still not bothered? How about the power grid?

It won't make any difference as long as there isn't worldwide infrastructure in place. We need community networks and decentralized power generation in conjuncture with decentralized manufacturing. Anything above the physical layer is meaningless as they are ultimately just as much in control.

If you wanna play with the big boys you better be bold enough to go all the way and participate in an effort to replace the entire civilization. I'm sick of people thinking that BTC is their messiahs or something. It won't mean anything as long it isn't done all the way through. Only a small minority even on this forums does comprehend that.

Bitcoin can play a role in this paradigm shift. But it isn't even essential.
Activity: 815
Merit: 1000
August 24, 2012, 02:32:53 PM
I agree.

BTC is a time bomb, a delayed, but certain death sentence to today's corrupt governments.
Activity: 254
August 23, 2012, 11:46:33 PM
they are rich and resourceul enough, certainly, to churn out a ton of asics.. the design is not too complicated
They probaby already have them running simulations to attack the network.  Shocked

donator
August 22, 2012, 01:34:59 AM
they are rich and resourceul enough, certainly, to churn out a ton of asics.. the design is not too complicated
They probaby already have them running simulations to attack the network.  Shocked
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 22, 2012, 01:30:59 AM

Activity: 136
Merit: 100
August 18, 2012, 01:00:20 PM
Without knowing any facts, I confidently state...

You sound just like most modern economists  Grin

Or like any priest! God can stop the genocide, he just doesnt wanna...

Activity: 476
The first is by definition not flawed.
August 18, 2012, 12:39:41 PM
The futurist in me wants to remind everyone that goverment is a pre-internet civilisation tool.
Kind of like pottery.

Activity: 250
August 17, 2012, 05:16:19 PM
Without knowing any facts, I confidently state...

You sound just like most modern economists  Grin
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
August 17, 2012, 04:37:03 PM
Without knowing any facts, I confidently state that the U.S. government could easily spin up 51% of the hashing power and node number should they choose to.
donator
Activity: 743
Merit: 510
August 17, 2012, 07:15:50 AM
Having >50% hashing power doesn't let someone change the rules; that requires >50% of all nodes to agree.

There are some truth to this, there was an incident early in development it was discovered that some hackers had 20 something billion Bitcoins in their wallet, the system back then didn't account for more than 21 Million coins in existence, so couldn't do anything.

The developers re-wrote the client and asked all miners to upgrade, the 20 billions coins the hackers had became obsolete.

Well we are avoiding my point... Perhaps this quote is the most relevant to my initial thought... If government cant control what the currency is, and the power is in the hand of people, they will never be able to trust that Bitcoin will always be what Bitcoin should always be. Gold will always be gold. Useless as it is, but gold. All I mean is that even if they would love the whole bitcoin idea they would be suspicious of a possible INMENSLY HUGE scam made by 51% of nodes... And given whats in stake, this could happen...

Unless a United Nations Hashing Power (UNHP), controled the 51% ;-)
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002
August 16, 2012, 02:28:54 PM
If someone had >50% hashing power, they couldn't just start rewarding themselves more than 50 BTC, as those blocks would be rejected by honest nodes. No?

You are correct.  The only way 50+% of miners can override non mining nodes is if there aren't any miners left on the original ruleset to process transactions.  However, they could drastically slow things down until the difficulty readjusted with 50% leaving.  If enough miners remained with the original ruleset, we would then have two blockchains and everybody with coins before the fork could use those coins twice: once on each new chain.

Edit:
Although if you received the coins on one chain, you could rebroadcast the transaction on the other chain and take those coins too since you have the private key for the destination addres and the transaction is properly signed.
Activity: 247
August 16, 2012, 09:58:15 AM
Assuming it survives making it illegal, the government would then be pointless & powerless.

Please don't tell me you meant this as you wrote it.

Once bitcoin value doesn't plummet after the government makes it illegal, then it will prove how powerless the government today is.  Without control of the currency, it will be difficult to collect taxes, keep fiat from inflating, and fund itself.  I'm sure it will re-emerge, but it will be a lot, lot smaller.
Activity: 868
August 16, 2012, 08:28:14 AM
It depends on the type of governments you are talking about....
The banker sockpuppets ruling over nation states... nfw.

But regional goverments apart from big city ones might do it if bitcoin gets huge. If bitcoin were to play a major role in the transition to distributed republics that would be it. But it is still questionable if bitcoin were to be replaced till then.

Yeah, local democracy (size of a city) are a good alternative to the current big nations-big governments Smiley
Activity: 868
August 16, 2012, 08:26:29 AM
Governments LOVE Bitcoin. For decades (if not centuries) they've been impotent against the banks' enormous power. Now all that can change

Are you serious?

And why not? A government's role is to represent their people and help keep society somewhat organised. The legacy banking system has become a cancer that undermines civilisation. Wealth gets transferred from productive honest people to the clever but lazy and amoral bankers via deliberate boom-bust cycles. Bitcoin provides a unique opportunity for a major upset in the status quo, and the status quo is quite frankly bullshit. Let's just hope nobody gets killed in the process.

The cancer is the possibility to use coercion to obtain something. And this possibility lies in political power.

How do banks create this boom and bust cycle: by manipulating currencies to their interests. How can they do that: because we the people are forced to use one national currency. And who forces us to use one currency? .... there're you go.

But don't take my word for it, look at history. Have a look at the Roman empire and its fall, for example.

Governments are nothing more than human organisations, like any corporation. They thus have the same incentives. But not the same means. They can use force, we let them use force by believing in the false dichotomy public-private, and in the lies according to which corporations are only motivateed by evil greed while governments serve a "greater good". These lies are pushed by people who do not want you to understand the real source of our problems, and continue to grant them power over our lives for our own good.

But yeah, bitcoin pretty much take a great deal of power away from governments, so we're good. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
August 16, 2012, 08:10:57 AM
It depends on the type of governments you are talking about....
The banker sockpuppets ruling over nation states... nfw.

But regional goverments apart from big city ones might do it if bitcoin gets huge. If bitcoin were to play a major role in the transition to distributed republics that would be it. But it is still questionable if bitcoin were to be replaced till then.
Pages:
Jump to: