Pages:
Author

Topic: GoxLoop™ discussion / speculation - page 2. (Read 7150 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
December 06, 2013, 04:32:09 PM
Ok so the gox loop worked for the better or for worse for the price. It seems to me that it didn't had much impact considering the price of the other exchanges that weren't on a loop.
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007
December 06, 2013, 04:30:05 PM
It was already explained in another thread, it's a security measure (of rather dubious quality) they put in for when price is falling too fast. This is the kind of "solution" that makes software engineers around the world scream out in agony.

I sat there trying to cancel re-appearing orders for an hour... thankfully it did seem to stop finally, and I've been able to withdraw my bitcoins...

You withdraw your bitcoins and so do a bunch of other people who are now spooked with Gox.  Those who panic sold will later panic buy into a thinner ask wall, realizing that withdrawing via bitcoin is much faster and easier than USD.  This will drive the price UP.  

Anti-fragility at work.
Activity: 308
Merit: 251
Giga
December 06, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
are we back in a loop this time $830-$890?
Activity: 159
Merit: 100
December 06, 2013, 04:25:19 PM
It was already explained in another thread, it's a security measure (of rather dubious quality) they put in for when price is falling too fast. This is the kind of "solution" that makes software engineers around the world scream out in agony.

I sat there trying to cancel re-appearing orders for an hour... thankfully it did seem to stop finally, and I've been able to withdraw my bitcoins...
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
December 06, 2013, 04:23:07 PM
ok time to buy again  Grin
Giga
December 06, 2013, 04:22:53 PM
Triple top  Cheesy

Activity: 198
Brony Bitcoin, Litecoin Miner
December 06, 2013, 04:19:47 PM
the loop is over..
Activity: 54
December 06, 2013, 04:19:10 PM
How is this a better idea than simply halting trading?

Quoted. IMO, manipulation in ANY way is wrong. If it has to fall, let it fall. But if you want, just halt the trading, it is the best choice: but they can't steal if the market is closed  Grin
Giga
December 06, 2013, 04:18:12 PM
loop is over, just watching the madness right now, the chart is going all over the place  Shocked
Activity: 198
December 06, 2013, 04:17:03 PM
i looking at this looping on btccharts, this is some funny shit going on. can you imagine if this started happening on nasdaq or nyse, lmfao

"funny shit" happens an nasdaq, nyse et al all the time, they hide it in plain sight.

http://johnhcochrane.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/weird-stuff-in-high-frequency-markets.html

if only all manipulation was this transparent. ...pretty funny from the big picture. I dont buy the security hack explanation. Though thats a good one.
Activity: 12
December 06, 2013, 04:16:41 PM
it stopped
Activity: 201
December 06, 2013, 04:15:07 PM

How does this solve the price falling too fast?

It is a bandaid that Mark implemented to avoid a repeat of the hack a few years ago when someone faked a market sell all the way to zero (cleaned out the order book).  It is not designed to prevent the price from "falling too fast."  

(I am not condoning this "security system" BTW, just trying to get the facts straight.)
Seems like a dumb idea to create more confusion by replaying trades instead of just giving folks a message:  "Trading temporarily halted due to a possible security issue."
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1001
December 06, 2013, 04:13:27 PM
Gox be a goxin'!
legendary
December 06, 2013, 04:12:33 PM

It is a bandaid that Mark implemented to avoid a repeat of the hack a few years ago when someone faked a market sell all the way to zero (cleaned out the order book).  It is not designed to prevent the price from "falling too fast."  

(I am not condoning this "security system" BTW, just trying to get the facts straight.)
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!
December 06, 2013, 04:11:53 PM

My thoughts exactly.

It's not like the hackers could magic out the fiat without them sending it out to a bank. Just mark account transfers for manual approval over a certain limit.
December 06, 2013, 04:10:35 PM
Mark was on IRC (the last time this happened) and said that the loop was activated by his "security system" that goes off when someone places and huge market sell order.  The reason for his weird "security system" is to prevent a repeat of what happened several years ago when someone hacked the site and faked a market sell all the way down to zero!

I can't see how this would help that situation.

If it were me making a huge sell just now I'd be pretty peeved that the whole world has now been alerted to the fact.
Activity: 201
December 06, 2013, 04:10:29 PM
Activity: 238
December 06, 2013, 04:09:46 PM
Well, this is just going to stall the drop.  Before the bottom was 400, now the bottom could be back to single digits, because it just made bitcoin a lot less reliable.
December 06, 2013, 04:08:28 PM

legendary
December 06, 2013, 04:08:01 PM
i looking at this looping on btccharts, this is some funny shit going on. can you imagine if this started happening on nasdaq or nyse, lmfao

"funny shit" happens an nasdaq, nyse et al all the time, they hide it in plain sight.

http://johnhcochrane.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/weird-stuff-in-high-frequency-markets.html

The US stock and commodity exchanges break all the time.  Just google "zerohedge self help" and read some of the stories.  The major exchanges try to "hide" this kind of thing for better optics.  Bitcoin is more transparent.  

Note again that this "GoxLoop" happened around 9pm pacific time maybe a month ago.  It wasn't discussed as much because most people from the US were asleep.  Mark was on IRC (the last time this happened) and said that the loop was activated by his "security system" that goes off when someone places and huge market sell order.  The reason for his weird "security system" is to prevent a repeat of what happened several years ago when someone hacked the site and faked a market sell all the way down to zero!

Gox really needs to step up its game -- it could raise plenty of cash to fund improvements.  But this is not a conspiracy, and this is in no way unprecedented.  

Pages:
Jump to: