Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU mining coming to an end? - page 3. (Read 1333 times)

Activity: 95
Merit: 0
June 13, 2018, 10:08:48 PM
Left out ominous music.

FUDD

Fear Uncertainty Doubt Doooooom.

Save Doom for last.

We see in short amount of months.

Why no coin algos current can change at run-time?  ASICs no work - FPGAs should but take more programming.     
Activity: 784
Merit: 282
June 13, 2018, 09:06:16 PM
No, GPU mining will endure but some things need to change or adapt.

-snip-

Very well said. I believe a key point in your statements would be the fact that "Ultimately it will simply be the coins that are used and have value which means it just comes down to people behind the coins making business deals and driving further integration."

Without integration with the real world the coins will be completely useless, a means to pay other people in exchange for nothing. While coins like Ravencoin are technically sound, the problem of integration and finding real utility with it is a problem. Until developers drive a coin forward with well balanced business plan, we will soon have nothing to mine.

Activity: 186
Merit: 4
June 13, 2018, 06:22:29 PM
It's been red in the markets for some time now, gpus are still profitable, hey at least you're not mining DASH Grin Also how much do you pay for electricity, I find it hard to belive you can't make profit on 0.1c/kw.

How can we adapt to FPGA/ASICS if you can't buy them? Please don't tell me about the two dudes selling some fpga boards on another thread, don't make me laugh, those are 2 people(if legit) and god knows how big the FPGA-iceberg is.

Also on lyra2z you have 6x-polaris rigs doing 18Mhs.

Activity: 846
Merit: 115
June 13, 2018, 05:44:09 PM
Mining sucks for everyone,  Even asics.

Asics have it worst if your electricity rate is above 10 cents.

legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1031
June 13, 2018, 04:35:38 PM
No, GPU mining will endure but some things need to change or adapt.  Okay, but let me give one simple reason GPU (and CPU) mining will never die: Ubiquity.  GPU/CPUs are everywhere.  As long as gamers can get passive income from there free electricity dorm rooms (and that's just one use case) then mining will carry on for GPU/CPU dudes.

Now about changing and adapting... GPUs are FAR behind right now and FALLING further behind every day.  I have no doubt that the next "secret" miner such as what happened with Monero is already leeching profits... or more likely dominating profits in scalable comparison to GPU miners.  And... I think the ever growing culprit is FPGA.  I can't tell you how much it annoys me to be mining on a coin and making 'okay' profit  --at least double electricity costs-- but then to look at the bigger picture and truly understand that the amount of network hash for the coin I am mining couldn't possibly be coming purely from GPUs and that this bulk of network hash is destroying decentralization and thus rewarding FPGA/ASIC owners.  Many algorithms right now (mostly looking at YOU Lyra2z) are being hit hard by FPGA and possibly ASIC companies "testing" new miners.   GPU/CPU friendly coin projects need to do more.

It is a BIG problem and in my opinion coin developers need to be more aggressive in the demand for ASIC/FPGA resistance.  This can be done by either modulating existing tech to include their own blockchain/coin as well as seeking out algorithm developers to be truly unique for their iteration of blockchain/coin.  Raven coin was a good example of such appropriate action taken by a coin developer.  But we are not and never have been in a one-and-done environment.  This field demands agility and readiness to change to maintain fundamental ideals that got this whole thing started in the first place.

ASICS/FPGA will live on.  So will GPU/CPU.  But which projects will be better?  Ultimately it will simply be the coins that are used and have value which means it just comes down to people behind the coins making business deals and driving further integration.  It won't matter if it is GPU/CPU/ASIC/FPGA or whatever comes next.  But there is a war being waged and it is a war that will be waged until there is a winner.  It could take years before there is a clear winner.  But when it happens we will look at various coins and identify them by what mined them.  Bitcoin is an ASIC coin.  Litecoin, also ASIC coin.  Monero with it's algo agility should likely end up as a GPU coin.  Maybe there will be some clear CPU coins.  Pure FPGA coins could also emerge through some distinct capability.  You can already see this separation on sites like whattomine-dot-com where they have a separate tab for GPU and ASIC minable coins.

So that's sort of where I see this going in the next few years.  It really is fascinating to watch the war unfold in front of our eyes.  Watch and see what happens with various coin values as various coin project leads implement their strategy of algo forks or adoption into ASIC.
Activity: 266
Merit: 2
June 13, 2018, 03:52:17 PM
I dunno I'm mining Loki with my RX 580 rig and it's pretty cool, dawg Cool
Activity: 420
Merit: 105
German Translator - Hire me on Bitcointalk!
June 13, 2018, 03:49:28 PM
Dude, check out the market. A bloodbath is going on and you wonder why you dont make enough money with your GPU. Sure there a lot of ASICs going on but GPUs are still profitable.  FPGAs will be the new generation of good mining.
A GTX1080Ti is still in this bloodbath profitable, not much but its a profit.
Btw, if you say rip GPU mining im sure you want to sell your gpus? I would take some Smiley
Activity: 630
Merit: 172
June 13, 2018, 03:37:58 PM
It was a fun ride while it lasted but it looks like the glorious days of GPU mining will be coming to an end.  With asics flooding every market,  forks that are nothing but a publicity stunt, little guys trying to compete with huge farms with dirt cheap electricity.  Many projects moving to proof of stake and masternodes instead of the proof of work.

Pages:
Jump to: