Pages:
Author

Topic: Great New Crashcorrection (fulfilled) - page 2. (Read 14831 times)

legendary
Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001
November 13, 2013, 08:58:37 AM
Why would you dump lots in seconds when you can keep the price higher by dumping small portions? Of course 24hrs seems a lot reasonable if you want to cash out.
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1074
November 13, 2013, 08:54:27 AM
Here is the chart, IMO proving that the big crash was started by relatively small whales and lasted about 24 hours before the ddos.

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
November 13, 2013, 08:01:13 AM
You are exaggerating. I wasn't into bitcoin in April, but I studied the charts and looked again just now.
There were multiple dumps of a few thousands of coins each, not even close to 50k, and over several hours, not minutes.
So a massive crash like April does not require several 50k whales to dump, just a bunch of smaller whales and many panic sellers.
That means you didn't see the Gox lag of several hours then. I suppose the initial dumps were done very quickly, afterwards the Gox interface pretty much didn't load at all. You might want to watch the timelapse video of the crash ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nanesJ0bLrQ might not be the best one, but the first one I've found). And close to the lows there were indeed several 100k BTC dumped... Who knows whether by whales or by smaller fish...
legendary
November 13, 2013, 07:12:38 AM
Crash is when several whales compete to dump their 50,000btc each. Back in april there was 100,000btc dumped in the 60s in a matter of minutes.

You are exaggerating. I wasn't into bitcoin in April, but I studied the charts and looked again just now.
There were multiple dumps of a few thousands of coins each, not even close to 50k, and over several hours, not minutes.
So a massive crash like April does not require several 50k whales to dump, just a bunch of smaller whales and many panic sellers.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
November 13, 2013, 05:22:07 AM
Because the trading engine was kaput?

Or was the ddos before that?
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
November 13, 2013, 05:09:58 AM
This is hilarious.  I could see calling April a crash since bitcoin lost 75% of its value and took about 4 months to recover.  That's a crash.  Haven't see one of those lately and with the decreased volatility every day and buy and hold becoming so prevalent, I doubt we are going to see any more of those.

It will happen eventually.  All markets crash when price runs away from reality.   

Sorry.  Missed an "m".  Meant to say, "many" more of those.

You can't DDOS Mt. Gox anymore to affect 80% of the market.  It happened this week and everyone yawned and the price continued to rise slowly.

That's my point.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
November 13, 2013, 05:06:14 AM
This is hilarious.  I could see calling April a crash since bitcoin lost 75% of its value and took about 4 months to recover.  That's a crash.  Haven't see one of those lately and with the decreased volatility every day and buy and hold becoming so prevalent, I doubt we are going to see any more of those.

It will happen eventually.  All markets crash when price runs away from reality.   
Activity: 378
Merit: 255
November 13, 2013, 05:03:55 AM
Would be safe to say that the crash is over and we can continue the rally? Anyway, I am more and more convinced that if we can break 400, 500 will be easy.
Agreed on the latter. But a crash? Come on, this wasn't a crash... a crash is something devastating when afterwards many people lose their entire confidence in the market and walk away. This was a mere correction, albeit a violent one, as it is quite typical in bitcoin world right now.

I think you're right, "crash" was not the best word to use at it might imply very long periods of low prices. When I say crash I mean an important correction from which we recover after a week or so.

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
November 12, 2013, 10:41:00 AM
Crash is when several whales compete to dump their 50,000btc each. Back in april there was 100,000btc dumped in the 60s in a matter of minutes.
November 12, 2013, 05:35:25 AM
I think you're right, "crash" was not the best word to use at it might imply very long periods of low prices. When I say crash I mean an important correction from which we recover after a week or so.

If you'd only said "crash", I would've simply ignored the wording. But your thread title reads "Great New Crash" -- this leaves me between a chuckle and an incredulous shake of my head Wink
legendary
November 12, 2013, 05:13:42 AM
Would be safe to say that the crash is over and we can continue the rally? Anyway, I am more and more convinced that if we can break 400, 500 will be easy.
Agreed on the latter. But a crash? Come on, this wasn't a crash... a crash is something devastating when afterwards many people lose their entire confidence in the market and walk away. This was a mere correction, albeit a violent one, as it is quite typical in bitcoin world right now.

November 12, 2013, 05:05:40 AM
legendary
November 12, 2013, 05:04:00 AM
No, wait for another 1 - 2 hours, let's see what happens.
legendary
November 12, 2013, 05:01:47 AM
Activity: 658
Small Red and Bad
November 11, 2013, 06:54:11 PM
how do you guys buy the bitcoins fast enough when they are low like that? it's impossible.. they crash and stay low for maybe 20-30 minutes, and by the time you have the chance to buy, it's back up to 330. liquidity is an issue for me.

is it possible for a securities exchange?
Divide your assets into groups. Use part of it to set up buy orders with different prices to cover a certain range, eg. if the price is 300$ buy for 298, 295, 290, and so on. It's kind of like fishing, you wake up next day and see what you got.  Grin
Will work with normal stocks , but will it with bitcoin Smiley
Doubt it , reason is you can not buy back your own bitcoins
, yes you will have dollar but nobody want to trade bitcoins with you  , most exchanges report empty Smiley
and wait until price restores Smiley
And in holland people can do Ideal witch is INSTANT!
but most sellers will not reload bitcoins , so after getting 300 btc you r gone , and dumping 300 btc on the market is not very impressive Smiley

That is why you don't dump 300 BTC. I mostly buy to hold for some time and then sell it in small numbers as the price goes up. Never had problems or loses with this strategy and probably won't unless BTC goes down more than 50%.
Activity: 504
WTF???
November 11, 2013, 04:45:27 PM
What's with the whole "fulfilled" ? lol. When the price is higher a day after your "great crash" and a new all time high, you sound like an idiot.
Activity: 164
Gone for a minute now back again
November 11, 2013, 04:17:36 PM
Has it ever happened that Gox got DDoSed, but DIDN'T crash after that?
legendary
November 11, 2013, 04:02:00 PM
Conspiracy theory: the ddos is trying to prevent Gox from crashing.
China may have enough steam to go up further, but if Gox and Bitstamp would crash,
then the rise in China would be limited. So if the ddos denies access to Gox (and Bitstamp?)
long enough for China to go up again, then the others will try to follow.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1008
November 11, 2013, 12:58:02 PM
how do you guys buy the bitcoins fast enough when they are low like that? it's impossible.. they crash and stay low for maybe 20-30 minutes, and by the time you have the chance to buy, it's back up to 330. liquidity is an issue for me.

Divide your assets into groups. Use part of it to set up buy orders with different prices to cover a certain range, eg. if the price is 300$ buy for 298, 295, 290, and so on. It's kind of like fishing, you wake up next day and see what you got.  Grin

this is how i do it. i was only able to get 13 coins this "crash" because the exchange i use has very few users / low volume. your basically getting coins off people who think its going to crash more. (weak hands)
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1000
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
November 11, 2013, 12:22:30 PM

Will work with normal stocks , but will it with bitcoin Smiley
Doubt it , reason is you can not buy back your own bitcoins
, yes you will have dollar but nobody want to trade bitcoins with you  , most exchanges report empty Smiley
and wait until price restores Smiley
And in holland people can do Ideal witch is INSTANT!
but most sellers will not reload bitcoins , so after getting 300 btc you r gone , and dumping 300 btc on the market is not very impressive Smiley

Pages:
Jump to: