Pages:
Author

Topic: Great News For Bitcoin! Lightening Network First Payment Was Successful! - page 5. (Read 683 times)

Activity: 490
Merit: 106
Well that is really a great news, it will probably fix some problems that Bitcoin has but the problem is the implementation, lets say they already released the mainnet of lightning network and implemented it on the Bitcoin network, all wallets and exchanges should support it first for us to experience this cheaper and faster transactions and I doubt that wallets and exchanges will immediately update their service with lightning network. Just like segwit, it was released and implemented 4 months ago but still only few Bitcoin wallet/exchanges supports it.
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1039
Sup guys!

I think this is a very important piece of info as we all kinda doomed bitcoin, but this might be a breakthrough.

The lightening network is a technology basically adds a layer of tech that can be a scaling solution for bitcoin, its supposed to prevent the high fees and slow transactions, with the same level of security.

A few days ago the first payment using the lightening network was successful, it was made to pay a phone bill.

The payment was INSTANT, and the fees were ZERO.

Here's the full article - https://www.coindesk.com/payment-provider-bitrefill-runs-successful-lightning-transaction-test/

Bottom line - the lightening network could solve most of the problems with bitcoin - if it does, its a huge step forward in terms of bitcoins scalability, meaning itll be easier to get mass adoption and use BTC for day-to-day transactions, and generally will be great news for the whole crypto section.

This is indeed pretty good news. The fact of the matter is that Bitcoin is layered away from the general public due to this fear that they won't be able to get their money out due to the fees. If it's the case that transactions go through instantly (or at least quickly), then people won't be afraid to move towards using it as a currency. Right now, I feel like Bitcoin is more of an investment for people rather than a usable currency. Ideally, Bitcoin should be both of the above with the benefits of both so that we can move into a more tech driven world.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
So how did the phone company receive their payment. It’s an iou promise until channel closes. To close channel need to pay big fees.
Activity: 1106
Merit: 637
Bottom line - the lightening network could solve most of the problems with bitcoin - if it does, its a huge step forward in terms of bitcoins scalability, meaning itll be easier to get mass adoption and use BTC for day-to-day transactions, and generally will be great news for the whole crypto section.

Totally agree! Thanks for sharing the news and Coindesk link. I'll be watching this closely (where's the smiley guy eating popcorn emoji??).

Now, is the Lightening Network fully deployed with Bitcoin? If so, all transactions should be traveling over the Lightning Network, no? I'm sure I'm not aware of all the details.

Looking forward to LN, but better news will be when there is a confirmed date when it goes live.  too much uncertainty now.

Ah, thank you. I'll be looking for the "go live" date!
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
Excellent news!

Once started to be implemented it will send down shity altcoins where they belong.
Activity: 686
Merit: 502
Apparently, we will not get a full answer before launching the lightning network. There are a lot of undisclosed questions. I hope the developers are professionals in their field.
Activity: 23
Merit: 0
Looking forward to LN, but better news will be when there is a confirmed date when it goes live.  too much uncertainty now.
Activity: 882
Merit: 976
While this is great, I’m not sure that the article is accurate in stating that there is no risk to security to run transactions on the lightning network. If my research has been correct, there are new security risks involved with using the lightning network; can anyone embellish on this?
Also, I had read that in order for the lightning network to take effect, both the sending and receiving wallets have to be online simultaneously to effectively become nodes on the network in order for the transaction to complete.

I think this is a scalable option, but there is a lot of learning and implementation that needs to happen in order for the network to take effect, am I right? And to have a large network of nodes to run, does this allow for the risk of centralization? I’m interested to read more about the pros and cons of the lightning network as a viable option to help fix current issues with bitcoin transactions. Anyone have any articles to link that are relevant?
legendary
Activity: 2870
Merit: 7490
Crypto Swap Exchange
It's great news, however LN works at best when the the users use SegWit while SegWit adoption is very slow (10%-15% at tis moment) and few services even ignore SegWit Sad
Activity: 728
Merit: 250
Buy, sell and store real cryptocurrencies
The lighting network is able to solve the transactions fee and time problems we are facing now. I am positive that more people will be using Bitcoin when it happens.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1565
The first decentralized crypto betting platform
It is good news indeed, but what I find missing in the article is the approximate date when this could be widely used, as I think it will still take some time and that’s what the market is reflecting.

Does anyone know if the almost instant transaction and zero fees will also be the case when it gets massively adopted or will it have some fees and delays?
Activity: 1064
Merit: 22
That's positive news, but still not enough to cheer the market back up. I don't want to sound negative but even when Lightening Network is fully implemented, it'll be too late for bitcoin to win all the investors who already moved to support new cryptos. New cryptos are implementing features that are missing from bitcoin such as anonymity and private transactions. Bitcoin is already outdated. I'm not saying that bitcoin will die. I'm sure bitcoin will stay forever however, it'll slow down gradually until another coin takes its place as the main crypto-currency.
legendary
Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500
That's indeed a great news! We need this solution to counter the problem we are all facing with bitcoin network now. We currently have 183k unconfirmed transactions and the fees has gone up to an insane level. Due to these reasons people are moving their funds to Ripple and other currencies. While bitcoin price is going down constantly, Ripple has reached sky high within last few days. Even today XRP increased by around 35%. To win back investor's confidence, we need to have Lightening network activated for the entire network. Bad time going on, we need such solutions to come back to light. 
Activity: 182
Merit: 4
Sup guys!

I think this is a very important piece of info as we all kinda doomed bitcoin, but this might be a breakthrough.

The lightening network is a technology basically adds a layer of tech that can be a scaling solution for bitcoin, its supposed to prevent the high fees and slow transactions, with the same level of security.

A few days ago the first payment using the lightening network was successful, it was made to pay a phone bill.

The payment was INSTANT, and the fees were ZERO.

Here's the full article - https://www.coindesk.com/payment-provider-bitrefill-runs-successful-lightning-transaction-test/

Pages:
Jump to: