Pages:
Author

Topic: Greece makes huge claim for Nazi era - page 2. (Read 1127 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
April 08, 2015, 05:09:35 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32202768

Greece Nazi occupation: Athens asks Germany for 279bn euros

The Greek government says Germany owes Greece nearly €279bn (£204bn; $303bn) in war reparations for the Nazi occupation during World War Two. It is the first time Greece has officially calculated what Germany allegedly owes it for Nazi atrocities and looting during the 1940s. However, the German government says the issue was resolved legally years ago.
Has anyone actually seen a breakdown of where these figures come from?
Greece doesn't have a very big or strong economy, I think it is around 100€billion GDP.  So they would be claiming that the entire country was stopped for nearly 3 years to get to the 279€billion figure quoted.

Maybe that is actually how they have worked it out, but it wouldn't be a very fair way to do it. 
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
April 08, 2015, 02:53:24 AM

The Greek government says Germany owes Greece nearly €279bn (£204bn; $303bn) in war reparations for the Nazi occupation during World War Two. It is the first time Greece has officially calculated what Germany allegedly owes it for Nazi atrocities and looting during the 1940s. However, the German government says the issue was resolved legally years ago.
I makes me laughing.
Germany insists the reparations issue was settled in 1990, before Germany reunified.
The budget spokesman for Chancellor Merkel's Christian Democrats, Eckhardt Rehberg, reiterated on Tuesday that "the reparations issue is for us closed, politically and legally - the same applies to the so-called forced loan".
Greece is falling in the debt hole and I think they are impossible to repay them. They are desperately needing cash.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
April 07, 2015, 12:46:48 PM
It's actually a pretty sad game between the Greek and EU politicians, where the Greeks borrow time and money, Germany loses very little and all EU citizens will pay for this from their own pockets.

Out of the $ 240 billion aid given to Greece as loans, less than 10% actually reached the Greek public. The rest was given to the bankers, who immediately stole it. The bankers are mostly controlled by Germany, and there fore Tsiparas and other members of his administration think that they should not repay the debt.

Here the real losers will be the EU tax payers, as you said. And bankers are the only ones who have gained from all this.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
https://dadice.com | Click my signature to join!
April 07, 2015, 12:06:15 PM

Greek government is doing just what the ICJ in the Jurisdictional Immunities of the State (Germany v. Italy: Greece intervening) case told: war crimes reparations have to be dealt with bilateral agreements between states.
Italian government should do the same but they have a lot more to lose by punching Germany with this issue...Greek by contrast has nothing to loose but a lot to gain from it.
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
April 07, 2015, 11:51:45 AM
Yeah, I've read the news. Had a smile and moved on.
That's not a real claim. Not something achievable. It's just empty words. Politics. Something the not-so-bright ones with tell "now the Greek government did it right!"
It's actually a pretty sad game between the Greek and EU politicians, where the Greeks borrow time and money, Germany loses very little and all EU citizens will pay for this from their own pockets.
legendary
April 07, 2015, 11:44:33 AM
I'm afraid they never going to see that money. Paying 276bn euros would kill the German economy.

You are not getting it. This is just a clever tactic to delay the debt repayments which are due shortly. Greece owns some $ 240 billion in payments, mostly to German banks. There is no way that bankrupt and broke Greece could muster this amount in such a short time.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
April 07, 2015, 11:12:40 AM
That's fucking desperation that is, it's like if UK needed a bailout and Labour got re-elected, I can see all the radical left parties trying to this kind of shit, next they'll claim the Germans are being racist and persecuting them for being Greek. They know that they don't have the funds to keep their government spending up, they know they can't borrow anymore to prop up their failing government, now they're desperate for any kind of escape route.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
April 07, 2015, 11:12:02 AM
I'm afraid they never going to see that money. Paying 276bn euros would kill the German economy.
legendary
April 07, 2015, 10:02:32 AM

Pages:
Jump to: