Pages:
Author

Topic: Greed is killing Bitcoin. - page 3. (Read 7203 times)

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
April 12, 2013, 01:40:32 AM
Saying greed is killing Bitcoin is like saying that wrath or gluttony are killing Bitcoin.

Some very powerful interests don't like Bitcoin and want it destroyed - banks and governments. They're killing Bitcoin, not individual human weaknesses.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
April 12, 2013, 01:35:53 AM
Too many bitcoins were given out too easily at the beginning. Whenever bitcoin starts attracting interest there's a huge sell off that drives investment away. I guess the bitcoin economy will keep crashing down until people who got in early can cash out their million dollars.

I don't blame people who got in early, who doesn't want 500k for doing pretty much nothing? It was a design flaw. Not much can be done to fix it now.
donator
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
April 12, 2013, 01:34:56 AM
Greed is killing greedy cowards, those "stop-lossers" who are now selling cheaper than bought. Bitcoin is not for them.
It's just natural selection. Smartest and strongest will survive. True bitcoiners not affected.
Activity: 375
April 11, 2013, 11:07:42 PM
Hoarding serves a market function that actually stabilizes the prices and brings resources from places of excess to places of shortage...
Additionally, by raising the price of a particular item, it sends the signal for more entrepreneurs to enter the market....

Greed is neither good nor bad. It is merely one person's subjective perspective on another person's behavior and preferences.

In fact it isn't greed at all. It is merely human nature to satisfy one's wants, and some of those wants are most easily satisfied by buying that satisfaction with money.

-wolv
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
April 11, 2013, 11:06:18 PM
Greed is part of human nature, always has been always will be.
No it isn't, it is a reaction to scarcity. If everyone had access to all the food they could ever want, none would be stolen.

BB.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
April 11, 2013, 11:01:06 PM
Terrible exchanges are killing Bitcoin.  I would be happy to watch Bitcoin fall to $0 if I could at least watch it in real time!
Activity: 24
April 11, 2013, 09:22:04 PM
No. It's not proportionate to it's perceived value. It was $20 only months ago
Activity: 56
April 11, 2013, 06:30:14 PM
I'm pretty new to the bitcoin thing. If the price becomes stable at say 50$, just as an example, will the mining difficulty come down?
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1003
April 11, 2013, 06:23:46 PM
All of this speculation and hoarding is making Bitcoin too unstable for merchants. Wasn't the point of Bitcoin to create an alternative currency meant for commerce? But with its current volatility, I personally would not accept Bitcoin in my trade of business.

The irony of Bitcoin is that most people are hoarding it so that they might trade it back for fiat currency in the future... That is what really saddens me.

Be sad all you want. Your Keynesian philosophy and desire for magic unicorn money that never experiences price swings isn't going to stop the progression of crypto-currencies.
Activity: 434
In Hashrate We Trust!
April 11, 2013, 05:50:14 PM
It's being traded more like a commodity than a currency.

It's being traded like fucking pokemon cards.

Hell, gox used to be a magic the gathering exchange, that's probably why.

That why we need a p2p based exchange to trade bitcoin against fiat. Its crazy that a decentralized currency trades through the bottleneck of a centralized small exchange.
April 11, 2013, 05:50:02 PM

LOL, + rep.

Speculators will keep pumping and dumping until there is a reason for people to spend these things on and not just hold for a price hike.

I am a believer though, think it will get there eventually.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500
April 11, 2013, 05:47:24 PM

April 11, 2013, 05:46:25 PM
It's being traded more like a commodity than a currency. And will continue to be this way until people can do more things with them or alt coins join bitcoin at different value levels which also can be used for day to day purchases.
legendary
Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531
yes
April 11, 2013, 05:41:36 PM
USD was not deflationary until 1971, I guess. It just was less abused, but abused it was.

Greed is a term that is really ridden with emotions. I don't think 'greed' is the problem, but the driver of all this. Without greed, no incentive to do something more. But Gordon Gekko can explain it a lot better.

Teldar Paper, Mr. Cromwell, Teldar Paper has 33 different vice presidents each earning over 200 thousand dollars a year. Now, I have spent the last two months analyzing what all these guys do, and I still can’t figure it out. One thing I do know is that our paper company lost 110 million dollars last year, and I’ll bet that half of that was spent in all the paperwork going back and forth between all these vice presidents.

The new law of evolution in corporate America seems to be survival of the unfittest. Well, in my book you either do it right or you get eliminated. In the last seven deals that I’ve been involved with, there were 2.5 million stockholders who have made a pretax profit of 12 billion dollars. Thank you. I am not a destroyer of companies. I am a liberator of them!

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right, greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA. Thank you very much

Greed for seamless, instant, low to no fee, unrestrained transactions all over the world will make crypto currency a big hit. Ignoring this simple fact will not change reality.

Hell, even making a BTC payment after 5.30pm knowing it will arrive instantly (subject to confirmations) is an amazing experience and we are for god sake living in the 24/7 economy for 15 years now...... Either International payments will be made free and instant, of banks will lose this part of the payment system to newcomers. Bitcoin: it's inevitable.
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3260
April 11, 2013, 05:35:01 PM
A deflationary currency is not a viable option for economy, period.

Gee. I just can't figure out how the U.S. economy managed to survive until 1971 with a deflationary currency seeing how it is not viable, period.
Activity: 252
April 11, 2013, 05:29:57 PM
he irony of Bitcoin is that most people are hoarding it so that they might trade it back for fiat currency in the future... That is what really saddens me.

A deflationary currency is not a viable option for economy, period. So you must keep yur eyes on the way out -sooner or later. Solve this, and I will buy much more.
legendary
Activity: 854
April 11, 2013, 04:15:41 PM
I see many people are sad about bitcoin, but one thing must not be forgotten.

Bitcoin gained wide acceptance for the first time. This was the first time that it was shown in mainstream newspapers. These wild swings are to be expected, along with the relevant technical problems that were bound to come from its only single point of failure, the exchange that has 80% market share!!!

I am not against gox but I would prefer more exchanges, which I believe will come with time.
legendary
Activity: 1540
April 11, 2013, 03:54:38 PM
I've decided I'm going to take the jump and trade goods purely for Bitcoins, I think the problem isn't greed, it's the fact that we have a deflationary currency tied to an inflationary currency and we also don't have many people adopting it for common use yet, people will probably have to not be so finicky about Bitcoin prices as well in regards to the exchange rate if they want to see more merchants around.
legendary
Activity: 3192
Merit: 1279
Primedice.com, Stake.com
April 11, 2013, 03:52:00 PM
Completely agree, bitcoin is a currency it shouldn't merely be a speculative agent.

You should buy BTC to use them not to try and profit off fluctuations.
Activity: 33
April 11, 2013, 02:48:56 PM
a) Ripple is centralized (owned by a few) even if their system is built on P2P

Yeah, sadly currently it would appear OpenCoin, inc is practically the government that hands out their ripples (XRP) like charity and saves a bunch for themselves. I haven't even been able to figure out how to get my hands on a ripple without begging for it from someone who has some (like the dude at the park in the movie Falling Down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwP2vV6Wm1Y )
Pages:
Jump to: