Pages:
Author

Topic: 'Green Cars' - page 3. (Read 4667 times)

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
August 09, 2012, 10:19:33 PM
I've thought about the most efficient automobile designs, and found this concept interesting. This seems like the apex of efficiency if it can be safely built and put into production.

I see two possible improvements:

- Wheels the diameter of the ball which exist on each side. I believe this would result in much less friction.
- Tandem seating, as in a Piper Cub, Aviat Husky, etc. This would reduce the frontal area by half.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077
August 09, 2012, 09:07:46 PM
I've thought about the most efficient automobile designs, and found this concept interesting. This seems like the apex of efficiency if it can be safely built and put into production.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
August 09, 2012, 09:01:22 PM
Activity: 637
Merit: 502
August 09, 2012, 08:55:14 PM
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
August 09, 2012, 04:57:54 PM
It's not exactly difficult maths to work out that a greater contact patch is capable of producing greater friction (and hence greater lateral load for example).
Yes you end up with less traction per unit surface area of the contact patch due to lower loading on each section, but under real-world conditions with real materials the relationship is non-linear (whereas the increase in lateral load due to excess weight is) and as a result you're better off with the greatest possible contact patch area (read - wider wheels) on a dry surface.

The only situation where this isn't true is on a wet surface, as a wider tyre will be less likely to dig in, particularly if the tread blocks are quite large.
This is also why rally snow tyres are typically very narrow.

Yes, weight helps you put down power, but with the right suspension and tyre setup any road car can realistically be manageable. Besides, I don't think "MOAR POWER" is the aim of "green" vehicles  Wink I very much doubt you'll be drifting a 235Mpg VW in the dry  Cheesy
Very correct!
But surely they've got the car wheels designed for tarmac/pavement. And yeah no, I dont think you can even drift this car on solid ground Tongue, On that note i wonder how well it would perform on sand
legendary
Activity: 3472
Merit: 4794
August 08, 2012, 09:50:33 PM
. . . hybrids are still using the godawfull inefficient piston engine . . .
Technically this may be true, but there are so many different hybrid technologies out there that you have to be careful about tossing them all in together and discussing them as though they don't have differences.

As an example, while the Toyota HSD does use a gasoline burning internal combustion piston engine, it does not use the Otto cycle engine that most modern vehicles use.  Instead it uses a modified Atkinson cycle where the the power stroke is essentially longer than the compression stroke.  This makes for an engine that is significantly more efficient than the "godawfull inefficient piston engine" of most vehicles.
legendary
August 08, 2012, 09:38:12 PM
It's not exactly difficult maths to work out that a greater contact patch is capable of producing greater friction . . . a wider tyre will be less likely to dig in, particularly if the tread blocks are quite large. . .
As far as I know there isn't any area of contact patch in any of the friction equations.  Friction is typically coefficient of friction times the normal force.  As you point out, the tread pattern and shape of the tire can influence the coefficient of friction by influencing the percentage of tire surface that is contacting wet, or dirty, or oily, or clean, or dry pavement.  Assuming clean, dry, consistent road surface the size of the contact patch shouldn't effect traction/friction.
legendary
August 08, 2012, 09:26:41 PM
Your a fool, Take a 1lb car, With whatever fucking bigwide wheels you want, And you wont even be able to drive with all that spinning out you'll be doing.
YOU NEED WEIGHT TO APPLY POWER TO THE ROAD

I'm not sure this is true.  Mass (what you are calling weight) occurs in equal amounts in both parts of the equation.

In the case of the friction needed to transfer power to the road, the force of gravity on that mass (actual weight) provides the normal force component of the equation (Friction = Coefficient of friction times the normal force). Normal force = mass times the acceleration provided by gravity.

Acceleration of the vehicle is directly dependent on mass as well (Acceleration = Force, provided by the friction against the road, divided by mass)

Since mass is in both the numerator and the denominator of the Acceleration (in the numerator as the mass component of the friction force) in equal amounts, they should cancel out.

In other words, that 1lb car doesn't need nearly as much power applied to the road to get the same acceleration because it doesn't need to accelerate nearly as much mass.  You reduce the power that you attempt to apply to the road until you get to the same acceleration as the heavy car, and you find that the wheels don't spin out at all.
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 08, 2012, 08:24:00 PM
That Volkswagen looks interesting though. Not a fan of the skinny tyres but as an aerodynamicist I have to say it looks pretty reasonable. Back's still not perfect though and they could probably improve it a few percent with wheel covers.

Skinny tires are preferable due to less road friction. They provide the same traction as fatter tires if you reduce the weight of the car. Double win: less road friction and less weight = same traction but allows for two factors which are increasing efficiency.
Wider tyres + Lower weight = Better traction  Wink

For the few percent you save I'd rather have a car that can brake and turn extremely well. The 3-5% you might get on fuel efficiency seems tempting, but believe me when you've just hit someone's bumper/dog/child it won't seem like such a great idea.
Your a fool, Take a 1lb car, With whatever fucking bigwide wheels you want, And you wont even beable to drive with all that spinning out you'll be doing.

Could someone just slap down the laws of math that show how "traction" works? so that we dont have a bunch of stupid bickering over tires.
were trying to talk about ecenomical effeciency for the enviroment by building electric(style) cars
It's not exactly difficult maths to work out that a greater contact patch is capable of producing greater friction (and hence greater lateral load for example).
Yes you end up with less traction per unit surface area of the contact patch due to lower loading on each section, but under real-world conditions with real materials the relationship is non-linear (whereas the increase in lateral load due to excess weight is) and as a result you're better off with the greatest possible contact patch area (read - wider wheels) on a dry surface.

The only situation where this isn't true is on a wet surface, as a wider tyre will be less likely to dig in, particularly if the tread blocks are quite large.
This is also why rally snow tyres are typically very narrow.

Yes, weight helps you put down power, but with the right suspension and tyre setup any road car can realistically be manageable. Besides, I don't think "MOAR POWER" is the aim of "green" vehicles  Wink I very much doubt you'll be drifting a 235Mpg VW in the dry  Cheesy
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
Okey Dokey Lokey
August 08, 2012, 12:48:36 PM
That Volkswagen looks interesting though. Not a fan of the skinny tyres but as an aerodynamicist I have to say it looks pretty reasonable. Back's still not perfect though and they could probably improve it a few percent with wheel covers.

Skinny tires are preferable due to less road friction. They provide the same traction as fatter tires if you reduce the weight of the car. Double win: less road friction and less weight = same traction but allows for two factors which are increasing efficiency.

For the few percent you save I'd rather have a car that can brake and turn extremely well. The 3-5% you might get on fuel efficiency seems tempting, but believe me when you've just hit someone's bumper/dog/child it won't seem like such a great idea.
Your a fool, Take a 1lb car, With whatever fucking bigwide wheels you want, And you wont even beable to drive with all that spinning out you'll be doing.

Could someone just slap down the laws of math that show how "traction" works? so that we dont have a bunch of stupid bickering over tires.
were trying to talk about ecenomical effeciency for the enviroment by building electric(style) cars
August 08, 2012, 12:35:10 PM

Wider tyres + Lower weight = Better traction  Wink

*sigh*

Take any car on the road that satisfies your traction requirements. Cut its weight in half. You now gain efficiency due to less weight. Now reduce the tire's width until it has the same traction as the original heavier car. You now gain efficiency due to less road friction.

Double win.

Furthermore, the less weight means you'll stop quicker and won't hit that bumper/dog.

Triple win.

Furthermore, you can gain even more efficiency if you increase the diameter of the wheels/tires significanctly, due to what is know as the angle of attack.

Automobiles need to be rethought. Unfortunately, everyone has expectations about what a car is supposed to look like.
August 08, 2012, 12:29:50 PM

August 08, 2012, 10:46:12 AM

legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007
August 08, 2012, 05:52:35 AM
Anyone who thinks hybrids are better for the environment has never seen the amount of toxic waste that gets chucked into rivers due to lithium mining. In addition to which there's the extra fossil fuels used in making those cars - Top Gear in the UK got the stats together and worked out that due to the extra fuel involved in producing/shipping all of the parts around the world, a prius doesn't get more economical than a range rover until it's done about 90000 miles.
By that time it probably needs a new battery anyway  Cheesy

Activity: 530
Merit: 500
August 08, 2012, 05:42:10 AM
On a sidenote: Regarding peak Oil and alternative energies people should watch: "The Collapse".
In his opinion cars are gonna be history and only for the rich when the oil is gonna start to be scarce.
"There not gonna be 800 million new electric cars. Cause there ain't gonna be enough oil."

Also, electricity isn't a source of energy, it's a way of transporting energy from where it's generated to where it's used.

In a car (as we know it now) oil is needed for:

-Electronics
-Varnish
-Paint
-Tires
-Plastic parts
-Motor oil

Of course there parts that are not excist out of oil.
But the making of them is a energy intesive proces and does cost alot of oil.

-Making of the steel.
-Making of the glass.
-Making of the stuff that excists out of oil in general.

And do not forget the shipping around to your car dealer will cost alot of oil.
And of course i will have forgot something. But these lists are just to get an idea.
legendary
Activity: 1330
August 08, 2012, 05:13:04 AM
Because of the low energy density of batteries, electric cars aren't actually much more efficient than internal combustion automobiles.  They are cheaper to operate because coal is cheaper than oil.  So unless they use nuclear or renewable energy, they aren't particularly 'green'.
August 08, 2012, 12:10:29 AM
This car is greener than most, as it's a real 200+ mpg, as opposed to the bullshit mpg calculated for plug-in hybrids such as the Volt.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/future-cars/spy-photos/caught-testing-2014-volkswagen-xl1/

To me, a real green car would be tandem seating (one in front, one in back) to halve the frontal surface area, real aerodynamics (no concessions to fashion and looks), extreme lightweight allowing narrower tires, which in turn reduces road friction, and the lightweight simply reduces acceleration costs as well, and finally, regenerative breaking. Combine all this with motors receiving their electricity from hydrogen fuel cells, and your exhaust is water vapor. The compressed hydrogen, should in turn be produced from the ocean in the most environmentally friendly manner. All methods of electricity generation are fraught with problems, so a true analysis of the best is important. We can rule out hydroelectric, as dams should just be destroyed, period.
Pages:
Jump to: