Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 198. (Read 597425 times)

legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
Even if they say no I suppose we can just pool a little bit from the Gridcoin community and send them a BTC donation.

I actually sent them an email asking if they were interested in accepting donation in Gridcoin.

Cool. You're way ahead of me. No answer from them yet? (Hope they didn't say no).

Heh - or send them a generous GRC donation and a link to C-CEX.      Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Even if they say no I suppose we can just pool a little bit from the Gridcoin community and send them a BTC donation.

I actually sent them an email asking if they were interested in accepting donation in Gridcoin.

Cool. You're way ahead of me. No answer from them yet? (Hope they didn't say no).

legendary

legendary
You should prob sent Rob an email, see what he says. I honestly have no idea.

I've asked this question before too can anybody help me with the answer ?

Who do the "beacons" go to while cpu mining ? Is it being destroyed or to some central authority ? Never really understood that part.
legendary

I think we need to get involved in this. So far they have raised ~ 3 BTC.

http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-funds-cancer-research-project/

Should we all donate individually or maybe 1 person can administer a btc acc and make a donation in Gridcoin's name?

How about seeing if Yonemoto will take donations in GRC? He can then exchange for BTC or fiat if he wants to.

I'd guess we'll want to do something similar with the various BOINC project sponsors - help/encourage them to take GRC donations for their various causes.

Is this the kind of thing anonerd wants to pursue?

Hey Guys,

I love the idea of a network that pushes humanity for the good.
So, I would like to contribute to the marketing part to foster the acceptance of GRC.
I like to offer my time to aggregate and collect what is going on in promotion:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/grc-gridcoin-marketing-and-strategy-452322

This is still an early draft. What is out there that I am missing?

legendary

Should we all donate individually or maybe 1 person can administer a btc acc and make a donation in Gridcoin's name?

How about seeing if Yonemoto will take donations in GRC? He can then exchange for BTC or fiat if he wants to.

I'd guess we'll want to do something similar with the various BOINC project sponsors - help/encourage them to take GRC donations for their various causes.

Is this the kind of thing anonerd wants to pursue?

Hey Guys,

So, I would like to contribute to the marketing part to foster the acceptance of GRC.

legendary

Activity: 128
Merit: 101
I've asked this question before too can anybody help me with the answer ?

Who do the "beacons" go to while cpu mining ? Is it being destroyed or to some central authority ? Never really understood that part.
Hi,

I followed the instructions in the link (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/).

But after the installation in the  recommended location (programmsx86) the qt doesn't find a blocksource. I wrote the gridcoin.conf by myself after the instructions, I deleted everything, reloaded, suspended my firewall, reloaded, tried again, but I don't find the blockchain.

I installed gridcoin on a laptop, and it's no problem.

I have a 64bit system, windows 7, Intel, Nvidia ... any idea what to do?

Hi,
It generally installs to the default location unless you try to install it elsewhere. Let BOINC and  Gridcoin client install the place they naturally do.Atleast thats how it has happened with me.I hope you havent mixed up the installation folders for both. Things to check in your conf file .. it should be something like this :
server=1
rpcuser=myusername
rpcpassword=mypassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
cpumining=true
Also are you sure you have not  saved the file as a text file ? It should be .conf and not .txt.Also try to check if you dont have a service running on the default port for Gridcoin (its 32768 or something like that .. i forget the exact number right now, but this I dont think would be the problem but still if nothing works then check the port).
It should work, maybe your making a small mistake here or there. Hope that helps.
Activity: 803
Merit: 500
Hi,

I followed the instructions in the link (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/).

But after the installation in the  recommended location (programmsx86) the qt doesn't find a blocksource. I wrote the gridcoin.conf by myself after the instructions, I deleted everything, reloaded, suspended my firewall, reloaded, tried again, but I don't find the blockchain.

I installed gridcoin on a laptop, and it's no problem.

I have a 64bit system, windows 7, Intel, Nvidia ... any idea what to do?
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
Thank you, guys for explanation! Now i understand mechanics of CPU mining better.
Activity: 144
Merit: 100
10-15$, while everyone of us gets 150 GRC per day for BOINC mining which is independent from GPU hashing power and coin diff? It is doubtful :\
For example i have Intel Q6600, which costs $150.00 and i get 150 GRC each day with it. And even 2 times cheaper CPU will give same 150 GRC.

I was under the impression there is a cap on the max number of cpu miners of about 576 or so . So after that they start competing among themselves. Correct me if I am wrong on that please.

Also still hope for us .. look at Vertcoin and Maxcoin .. I don't think they have any utility vlue yet they have made it based on just a change in algo + a good marketing strategy. So I think we have good chances of getting to that level if we all decide to hold.

What I am imagining is a whole lot of miners putting their power to help science (and as a result prices would go up too). Lets see only time will tell .. but I won't give up on being positive about it Cheesy.

Hi,

Yes, there is a 576 BOINC blocks a day cap.  As Rob explained it is 576 because the number of GPU blocks per day is too ~ 576.(2.5 minutes per block) So the GPU and CPU(BOINC) mining systems do generate the same amount of GRC.

Since 128 BOINC miners started mining, their average credits started to play role in how much GRC will they get in a day. So it will get increasingly difficult to get the full 150 GRC/day and it will need faster, better and more cpus to reach in the future.
At this moment we have over 550 BOINC miners, so very close to reaching the payout cap.

I think, that with the BOINC mining it is the same as with GPU mining. Miners will need to get better hw to keep up with the competition and the price can easily go really high.

Andrew.
10-15$, while everyone of us gets 150 GRC per day for BOINC mining which is independent from GPU hashing power and coin diff? It is doubtful :\
For example i have Intel Q6600, which costs $150.00 and i get 150 GRC each day with it. And even 2 times cheaper CPU will give same 150 GRC.

I was under the impression there is a cap on the max number of cpu miners of about 576 or so . So after that they start competing among themselves. Correct me if I am wrong on that please.

Also still hope for us .. look at Vertcoin and Maxcoin .. I don't think they have any utility vlue yet they have made it based on just a change in algo + a good marketing strategy. So I think we have good chances of getting to that level if we all decide to hold.

What I am imagining is a whole lot of miners putting their power to help science (and as a result prices would go up too). Lets see only time will tell .. but I won't give up on being positive about it Cheesy.
Activity: 406
Merit: 250
And yea one more thing : Hold your coins till atleast $10-15 (yea I know it will be too tempting to sell before that especially for early miners but if something like Vertcoin can go up to $8 then we can surely do way better considering the fact we are helping society too and not just producing hot air like other coins Tongue).

Best of luck guys and resist the urge to sell for as long as you can Cheesy

Lets do this.
Activity: 130
I wonder if the lack of (GPU) pool mining is affecting visibility.
legendary
Remember to vote here too: http://www.allcrypt.com/beta/voting.php You can click the up vote 10 times in 24 hours!!
Activity: 130
Another place to submit Gridcoin for consideration Smiley

https://cryptorush.in/index.php?p=list-your-coin
Activity: 213
Hey Guys,

legendary
The projects listed in the "projects console" are the ones you can cpu mine, the ones where you get max 150 grc per day just for donating computational power, not hashing.

I have a question. Am I right in assuming that the only way GRC's client takes your daily credits into consideration is if you're using one of the 5 projects listed in the console?  Compatibility with worldcommunitygrid would be great, too. I was initially using WCG until the daily credit consideration came into play, and would like to go back to using this. If I'm reading into this right, WCG will only work if either:

A) You use WCG in addition to other projects listed in order to get full 100% credit for mined blocks.
B) Use WCG but only receive 50% credit for mined blocks, since the only thing the GRC client will see is your CPU/Memory utilization.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I'm not, then I think this should be addressed and modified to (at the very least) include WCG, but even more preferable to me would be the ability to choose at least from the majority of the projects, if not all of them. I like all of the Boinc projects and realize they're all for good causes, but I would kind of prefer to use my boinc power for at least 2 or 3 other projects that are not currently supported. As far as WCG goes, it seems like a large majority of Boinc users use WCG, so I think this would help GRC appeal to more Boinc users.
Activity: 840
Merit: 251
I have a question. Am I right in assuming that the only way GRC's client takes your daily credits into consideration is if you're using one of the 5 projects listed in the console?  Compatibility with worldcommunitygrid would be great, too. I was initially using WCG until the daily credit consideration came into play, and would like to go back to using this. If I'm reading into this right, WCG will only work if either:

A) You use WCG in addition to other projects listed in order to get full 100% credit for mined blocks.
B) Use WCG but only receive 50% credit for mined blocks, since the only thing the GRC client will see is your CPU/Memory utilization.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I'm not, then I think this should be addressed and modified to (at the very least) include WCG, but even more preferable to me would be the ability to choose at least from the majority of the projects, if not all of them. I like all of the Boinc projects and realize they're all for good causes, but I would kind of prefer to use my boinc power for at least 2 or 3 other projects that are not currently supported. As far as WCG goes, it seems like a large majority of Boinc users use WCG, so I think this would help GRC appeal to more Boinc users.
Jump to: