Pages:
Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 57. (Read 597425 times)

Activity: 826
Merit: 500
Need more positive information about grc, then just praying for the next great coin
Activity: 131
Merit: 100
also check out the forum thread about Gridcoin Finance: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/11357-gridcoin-finance-project/
(or the rest of the forum for Gridcoin itself)
Not trolling, but I'm trying to understand the monetization of this coin. I'm looking to make a big investment in GRC as I very much like that the energy expended serves a useful purpose, but I can't understand what drives the "value" of this coin. Is it just remittance with a side effect of PoW benefit? Or is there an intention to have projects "purchase/rent" CPU time on the network through some sort of portal (using the tokens/coins for the chain)? I understand there is a BOINC white list, and that is great, but is it still "free" like Seti@home? Clearly folks are willing to donate free cpu time historically to scientific projects, but beyond remittance I don't see what would drive value for this coin at that point. If remittance is your use case, there are a lot of other block chains with more momentum and visibility. Just trying to wrap my head around this project, sorry for all the questions.

What you propose, commercial projects, that rent the computing power of the Gridcoin network, will be the end game of Gridcoin.

If this is achieved, each Gridcoin has an intrinsic value, the amount of computing power given to the useful/commercial project needed to create this coin.

The first project as mentioned by traderman is Gridcoin Finance, that uses the computing power of the Gridcoin network to run finance simulations to find the best options/combination of options to trade.

This is the project of the developer of Gridcoin himself, so this has very high priority.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Activity: 122
Merit: 16
I will send you a PM shortly...

edit: PM send
And you could try to add more nodes to your gridcoinresearch.conf file.
That stabilised the connections of the wallet for me.

Here you can find a list of nodes: https://c-cex.com/?id=ws&shownodes=grc

Regards.

It will be a lot quicker to sync if you use the snapshot... http://download.gridcoin.us/download/downloadstake/signed/snapshot.zip provided on the official Gridcoin site.

Once download just extract to the appropriate directory and it should sync the remaining blocks relatively quickly.

Try this...
Activity: 59
Merit: 10
Seems I cannot start without some Gridcoin ( I get the message no reserve balance). Faucets seems not working most websites down and the only with working website doesn't send me anything. I have send the mail to et free grind but nothing happened

Here my address if someone can donate me some Gridcoin to start:
SDoZntH3Ybf37EZ7Mq8AVwn52C72hbDcn1
legendary
Well, the GRC dev, Rob, will be launching a hedge fund that uses results from the Gridcoin Finance Boinc project to put on options trades. Kind of like a machine learning options trading fund: https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/11357-gridcoin-finance-project/

People will be able to buy into the fund with GRC. At this post, it's all in the early stages so there isn't anything really definitive yet.

Not trolling, but I'm trying to understand the monetization of this coin. I'm looking to make a big investment in GRC as I very much like that the energy expended serves a useful purpose, but I can't understand what drives the "value" of this coin. Is it just remittance with a side effect of PoW benefit? Or is there an intention to have projects "purchase/rent" CPU time on the network through some sort of portal (using the tokens/coins for the chain)? I understand there is a BOINC white list, and that is great, but is it still "free" like Seti@home? Clearly folks are willing to donate free cpu time historically to scientific projects, but beyond remittance I don't see what would drive value for this coin at that point. If remittance is your use case, there are a lot of other block chains with more momentum and visibility. Just trying to wrap my head around this project, sorry for all the questions.
Activity: 180
legendary
Prob a few cents per day and current prices.

I see the campaign going on atm..

How much would a Raspberry pie earn running 24 hours a day?
Activity: 1202
Merit: 507
Pinch.Network Guaranteed Airdrop
I see the campaign going on atm..

How much would a Raspberry pie earn running 24 hours a day?
legendary
I guess people are too bizi with Ethereum, or all the other hyped-up coins!

The coin and the cause are great. But why the low trading volume?
Activity: 112
The coin and the cause are great. But why the low trading volume?
Activity: 407
Merit: 250
DAG, Built-in Chat and Conditional Payments
Gridcoin represents a good cause,
Wishing the best for the project.
Activity: 81
I want to clarify that a Kickstarter pledge is not like ordering in an online store. We are building a project for the Gridcoin community and the backers help us realize that project.

Obviously there can be unforseen issues during the development of such a project from scratch. This fact combined with high expectations that we have ourselves and only a small (but growing) development team leads to delays. We would like to apologize for any inconveniences.

Additionally I would like to point you to the Kickstarter conditions (https://www.kickstarter.com/terms-of-use):

"At the same time, backers must understand that when they back a project, they’re helping to create something new — not ordering something that already exists. There may be changes or delays, and there’s a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised."

Quez

Great news for the Gridcoin community!
PiGrid shipped the first plug-n-play devices, that combine BOINC research with Gridcoin wallet features.

https://twitter.com/PiGrid_com/status/728485208492810241
Only five months of delay from the original promised date, and the give a fantastic compensation of 200 GRC. How many GRC can have they made with the 50 PiGrid sold during this 5 month? You think it's nice and fantastic, from a bit more realistic point of view I feel goxed. And with no project update for more than a month, last on 27th March and they told that time that PiGrid was almost shipped.
 Roll Eyes
Activity: 81
In future updates you will be able to choose between pool mining and solo mining mode.

Great news Quez, does the PiGrid device connect to a pool?

PiGrid shipped the first plug-n-play devices, that combine BOINC research with Gridcoin wallet features.

Activity: 727
Merit: 501

Only five months of delay from the original promised date, and the give a fantastic compensation of 200 GRC. How many GRC can have they made with the 50 PiGrid sold during this 5 month? You think it's nice and fantastic, from a bit more realistic point of view I feel goxed. And with no project update for more than a month, last on 27th March and they told that time that PiGrid was almost shipped.
 Roll Eyes
legendary
Great news Quez, does the PiGrid device connect to a pool?

Pages:
Jump to: