Pages:
Author

Topic: GridSeed 5-chip USB miner voltage mod - page 77. (Read 156988 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
March 21, 2014, 06:52:56 PM
What are y'all using the gridseeds for anyways? Multipools?

Yes, I believe most of us are.
Hardly anyone is running dual mode as it's just not really worth mining SHA anymore unless you can mine in the TH/s ranges.

I'm certainly considering my options differently now but it's still cool to be able to make money this way even though the daily income is less than $10 mining only LTC.

I tried ScryptGuild multipool but they didn't impress me as I was making less per day where I should have been making 30% to 40% more per the site owner.
It would be great if my 6 GS5's made me at least $2+ per day!

Wolfey2014

10$ only LTC is with using 6 GS's to mine ?

what pool are you using that makes you the most profit at this moment? multipool.us?

Actually as stated, "less than $10/day". Honestly it's just a hair under $10 per day.

In a 24 hour period I make, .40 LTC out of 6 miners running at 850MHz avg. each = $9.098892 per day Grin

Not too shabby for 6 little miners, eh? Will be making a bit more profit once I get them all stably overclocked.

Wolfey2014

Pea Ess.... www.litecoinpool.org ... sorry bout that!

wow that's pretty impressive indeed to get so much out of the GS's, and that not even OC'd
Activity: 378
March 21, 2014, 06:51:15 PM
A soldering gun probably wont work here. Your going to need a pretty fine pencil tip and a steady hand.

Something like this may work but I'm waiting a week to see how things go before modding my 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Lenk-L25K-Watt-Soldering/dp/B000M2UXTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395424899&sr=8-1
please get ERSA or Weller or Aoyue at least - you wont have fun long with the cheap chinese crap

Good idea! The above will probably just run long enough to solder a handful of times ... a good one will last years

Probably a better investment to pay a pro to do the solder bridges etc. for you - hint hint.... Wink
Wolfey2014
Activity: 350
Bitcoin Evengelist
March 21, 2014, 06:50:07 PM

Hardly anyone is running dual mode as it's just not really worth mining SHA anymore unless you can mine in the TH/s ranges.

I'm certainly considering my options differently now but it's still cool to be able to make money this way even though the daily income is less than $10 mining only LTC.

I tried ScryptGuild multipool but they didn't impress me as I was making less per day where I should have been making 30% to 40% more per the site owner.

Wolfey2014

what pool are you using that makes you the most profit at this moment? multipool.us?

Actually as stated, "less than $10/day". Honestly it's just a hair under $10 per day.

In a 24 hour period I make, .40 LTC out of 6 miners running at 850MHz avg. each = $9.098892 per day Grin

Not too shabby for 6 little miners, eh? Will be making a bit more profit once I get them all stably overclocked.

Wolfey2014

I like litecoinpool.org and fee is relatively low for pps. I was mining at ghash.io the last week with their LTC promotion. Too bad didn't have all my gridseeds then
Bitcoin Evengelist
March 21, 2014, 06:47:23 PM
A soldering gun probably wont work here. Your going to need a pretty fine pencil tip and a steady hand.

Something like this may work but I'm waiting a week to see how things go before modding my 10.

http://www.amazon.com/Wall-Lenk-L25K-Watt-Soldering/dp/B000M2UXTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395424899&sr=8-1
please get ERSA or Weller or Aoyue at least - you wont have fun long with the cheap chinese crap

Good idea! The above will probably just run long enough to solder a handful of times ... a good one will last years
March 21, 2014, 06:45:19 PM

Wolfey2014

Wolfey2014

Bitcoin Evengelist
March 21, 2014, 06:36:48 PM

Wolfey2014

Yeah, scryptguild is still in beta as well... Was averaging well below the 0.006BTC/MHz that I was expecting. I do like btcguild from the same admin where I've always pointed 1/3rd of my BTC hash (the other 2/3rd at eligius and ghash.io). Also tried wafflepool. Pool difficulty is too high or maybe I didn't wait long enough. Haven't tried the others yet:

http://poolpicker.eu/text.php

Today, I'm just using the gridseeds to mine doge at my regular pool (hashfaster). My two 290x are split between VTC and HVC. Why? Because the Antminer S1s are making my apartment too hot, so I need something that runs cooler for the GPUs :p ...

March 21, 2014, 06:30:02 PM

Wolfey2014

March 21, 2014, 06:22:15 PM

Wolfey2014

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
°^°
March 21, 2014, 06:20:44 PM

March 21, 2014, 06:17:50 PM

for mining, doesn't matter if it's single or multi pool.
Activity: 167
Merit: 100
March 21, 2014, 06:15:33 PM
March 21, 2014, 05:37:02 PM

I have my soldering station and some communications wire ready. Just waiting to see what the outcome is in a week or so also.

something like this.
http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=465
soldering station will work but if your gonna do a resistor swap highly recommend the hot air re work station.

Yes it will just be for the bridge, I've got a soldering iron just like the one next to the hot air station of the picture
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
March 21, 2014, 05:19:27 PM

I have my soldering station and some communications wire ready. Just waiting to see what the outcome is in a week or so also.

something like this.
http://www.aoyue.com/en/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=465
soldering station will work but if your gonna do a resistor swap highly recommend the hot air re work station.
March 21, 2014, 05:12:32 PM
The 10 I modded yesterday seem to be rock solid at 938Mhz.  I have pushed the non-modded ones as far as I can without too many HW errors.  I will solder the rest if these are stable through the weekend.

I also used the --usb :50 command to break them up into 2 groups of 50 miners so I can see them all.

Okay, cool! Nice work!

I modded one of mine last night. Solder bridged 2 of the resistor blanks as shown earlier by the original modder. This increases core voltage a tad, I believe. And I think that's all you can safely increase it to.

I haven't tried replacing the resistor with a 38K or the pencil track mod trick yet.
That's for PLL voltage adjustment as I understand it, without delving into the schematic etc. myself.

Is this what you did too?

As for your fine tuning to an odd step of 938Mhz, how did you accomplish this?
I'd like to do the same thing.
Mine is rock steady at 900MHz but at 950Mhz being the next allowed step in cpuminer throws enough HW errors to turn me off to it. So for now. it's 900Mhz which is giving positive results at the pool. $$$

Wolfey2014
Bitcoin Evengelist
March 21, 2014, 04:51:57 PM
The 10 I modded yesterday seem to be rock solid at 938Mhz.  I have pushed the non-modded ones as far as I can without too many HW errors.  I will solder the rest if these are stable through the weekend.

I also used the --usb :50 command to break them up into 2 groups of 50 miners so I can see them all.

If I may ask, where are you mining at? Smiley
Activity: 84
Merit: 14
March 21, 2014, 04:47:31 PM
GridSeed docs are actually wrong, pll_BS is bit 31, and pll_BP is probably bit 30. If you look at the frequency tables in cgminer, you'll see that for frequencies >= 500 MHz, the highest bit is set.
Actually the gridseed version of cgminer sets bit30 low for 250/400/450mhz, and high for 500mhz and above just as they specified it in the docs.

Here's the frequency table from cpuminer (https://github.com/gridseed/cpuminer/blob/master/gc3355.h#L51):
Code:
static const char *cmd_frequency[] = {
"55AAEF0005002001",
"55AAEF000500E001",
"55AAEF0005002002",
"55AAEF0005006082",
"55AAEF000500A082",
"55AAEF000500E082",
"55AAEF0005002083",
"55AAEF0005006083",
"55AAEF000500A083",
"55AAEF000500E083",
"55AAEF0005002084",
"55AAEF0005006084",
NULL
};

Note the 8 in the 2nd-last column, which corresponds to bit 31 (i.e. the high bit).
Bitcoin Evengelist
March 21, 2014, 04:46:40 PM
For scrypt only: so what did you do with your fans. Just unscrew down to the chip and pluck them out? Smiley

Or

Just use a wirecutter and for now insulate the wires ... in case need to add them back?

Yep, just de-soldered the fans from the pcb terminals. Piece of pizza! Wink

They can all be cooled via one fan just blowing air generally around them if needs be.
Mine are cooking at 98* to 115* F with no problems.
Some rumor that they feel their miners produce slightly higher hash rates running warm rather than cool.
I'm noticing the same thing, interestingly enough but I won't state it is fact until some serious bench marking has been completed.

Wolfey2014

Hehe nice

Did anyone try adding using a higher resistance wire to slow the darn things down ... the fans i.e. :p

Not a good idea. Probably not possible.The fans are electronically controlled 'brushless' induction motor driven. The electronic driver circuitry runs off of 12V and is pwm controlled 'I think'. The only way to slow it down is control the pwm output and doing that will require micro surgery on it's internal driver electronics requiring complete dis assembly and re-assembly of each fan.

The wires that came on them was longer, probably at least 8 to 10 inches but was cut short when installed at the factory. The fan power wire is tucked up inside of the pod's fins to keep them from being sucked into the fan blades and also to keep the wire casings from melting by direct contact with the heat sink.

If they were brush type motors, you could slow them down via voltage reduction and or PWM easily.
No resistor or Zener diode will work dependably if at all before making magic black smoke ;
Your results may vary.
And as usual, anything you do with this info' is strictly at your own risk!

Wolfey2014

Oh well, picking up my faithful stanley screwdriver... off they go
March 21, 2014, 04:26:53 PM
For scrypt only: so what did you do with your fans. Just unscrew down to the chip and pluck them out? Smiley

Or

Just use a wirecutter and for now insulate the wires ... in case need to add them back?

They can all be cooled via one fan just blowing air generally around them if needs be.
Some rumor that they feel their miners produce slightly higher hash rates running warm rather than cool.
I'm noticing the same thing, interestingly enough but I won't state it is fact until some serious bench marking has been completed.

Wolfey2014

Hehe nice

Did anyone try adding using a higher resistance wire to slow the darn things down ... the fans i.e. :p

Not a good idea. Probably not possible.The fans are electronically controlled 'brushless' induction motor driven. The electronic driver circuitry runs off of 12V and is pwm controlled 'I think'. The only way to slow it down is control the pwm output and doing that will require micro surgery on it's internal driver electronics requiring complete dis assembly and re-assembly of each fan.

The wires that came on them was longer, probably at least 8 to 10 inches but was cut short when installed at the factory. The fan power wire is tucked up inside of the pod's fins to keep them from being sucked into the fan blades and also to keep the wire casings from melting by direct contact with the heat sink.

If they were brush type motors, you could slow them down via voltage reduction and or PWM easily.
No resistor or Zener diode will work dependably if at all before making magic black smoke ;
Your results may vary.
And as usual, anything you do with this info' is strictly at your own risk!

Wolfey2014
Bitcoin Evengelist
March 21, 2014, 04:13:46 PM

Or

Wolfey2014

Hehe nice

March 21, 2014, 04:01:17 PM

Or

Wolfey2014

Pages:
Jump to: