Pages:
Author

Topic: [Group Buy] BFL ASICs, + Board Design Underway. - page 5. (Read 15406 times)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0
There's some word mincing in their chip spec. One chip contains 16 engines and the board design released is supposed to support 8 chips. Now I was under the impression that the board design released would only support 2 chips even though there is space for 8 because more than 2 generates enough heat to melt traces. Let me know if I'm incorrect in that assumption.
You probably want to redesign the board because it's supposed to support 8 engines but only actually supports 2.

Not sure I understand.  Each chip supports 16 engines @ 250 MHz, there are 8 chips on the board.
Where did you get 2 engines from?

The board release was the design for the SC jalapeno right? as far as I know more than 2 chips on the board melts the traces...hence why the Jally has open slots right?
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
You probably want to redesign the board because it's supposed to support 8 engines but only actually supports 2.

Not sure I understand.  Each chip supports 16 engines @ 250 MHz, there are 8 chips on the board.
Where did you get 2 engines from?
how will the credit program be incorporated into this group buy?
You would transfer the credits to my email address, and the cost for chips would be lowered.

Interested. Are there any shipping limitations? Slovenia, EU?

EDIT: not sure if you have this data but how much is necessary to pay at once? Full or half price?

Half price for the chips now, the remainder later. There aren't any shipping restrictions, but I can't speak to what your country will do for duty/tax.

What country are you based in?

What country are you based in? +1
As MXRider said, I am in Canada. The actual procedure for getting the chips is still up in the air (pun partially intended). At this point, the group buy is getting serious enough (a couple thousand chips possibly) that I might end up flying to the US to acquire them and for those that are interested in having the chips assembled get that process underway immediately. For those that aren't, chips would be shipped out from there to avoid me having to import them into Canada.

MrTeal, I'm in Toronto area.
Not sure why you want to redesign their 8 chip ref. board.  All is there.  I can't find BOM, I guess you can get it from PCB+schematics, but it would be nice to get the actual part numbers+sources.  I've put all their docs in one place for my reference.  Here it is if others want to use it:

http://www.petermoss.com/bitforce

4pcb.com would do this board. I have not run a quote, but I'm guessing $15

4pcb probably could build the board for $15 if you order a run of several thousand.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000
@theshmadz

I plan to place the order on Friday June 21st, so all transactions will need to be done before then.

Any updates on the progress? Friday is fast approaching...
legendary
Activity: 2702
Merit: 1468
how will the credit program be incorporated into this group buy?
You would transfer the credits to my email address, and the cost for chips would be lowered.

Interested. Are there any shipping limitations? Slovenia, EU?

EDIT: not sure if you have this data but how much is necessary to pay at once? Full or half price?

Half price for the chips now, the remainder later. There aren't any shipping restrictions, but I can't speak to what your country will do for duty/tax.

What country are you based in?

What country are you based in? +1
As MXRider said, I am in Canada. The actual procedure for getting the chips is still up in the air (pun partially intended). At this point, the group buy is getting serious enough (a couple thousand chips possibly) that I might end up flying to the US to acquire them and for those that are interested in having the chips assembled get that process underway immediately. For those that aren't, chips would be shipped out from there to avoid me having to import them into Canada.

Not sure why you want to redesign their 8 chip ref. board.  All is there.  I can't find BOM, I guess you can get it from PCB+schematics, but it would be nice to get the actual part numbers+sources.  

4pcb.com would do this board. I have not run a quote, but I'm guessing $15

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036
Dash Developer
Put me down for 12 chips
donator
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1060
between a rock and a block!
why don't we just ask BFL about who produced boards for them?
that place can easily produce them again since they've done it already, no?

Is the firware or when there is a FPGA the FPGA object file
available from BFL? Otherwise you end up with just the
bare metal and not a functional miner.

intron
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bfl-bitforce-sc-firmware-source-code-235312
Activity: 427
Merit: 251
- electronics design|embedded software|verilog -

Is the firware or when there is a FPGA the FPGA object file
available from BFL? Otherwise you end up with just the
bare metal and not a functional miner.

intron
legendary
Activity: 876
Merit: 1000
Etherscan.io

Similar situation, I have 32 codes that I would be willing to put forward to the group buy if there is a real chance (as in "99%") assembly that provides "ready to run" rigs/boards/blades.

Cheers

donator
donator
what would be the production time estimate? Please don't say two weeks.
Really depends on when chips arrive.
If no chips are ordered, timeframes won't help.
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
4 Weeks $26 each quantity 500
Activity: 10
what would be the production time estimate? Please don't say two weeks.
Anyone figured out how expensive it would be to build and populate a clone board?

The board alone in quantities of 1000 would be between $20 and $40USD per board.
I have 5 quotes to support this number.

No idea on cost to populate.
I believe he's in Canada.

So... +1a ?

I'll be here all week... try the veal!

It took me a minute, yeah that's pretty funny!
Activity: 10
I'm interested in getting in a group buy after BFL announces a shipping timeline for these chips... I don't want to end up getting 100 chips in january. I have 16 credits if that helps. Also it would be dependent upon the development of an affordable pcb to house these chips. If there is a PCB design project, is there any way I can help? I am a EE major (although no PCB design experience yet) it would be nice to contribute and learn.
donator
I'm offering sample chips from my personal orders to reputable board designers: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-bfl-4-ghs-chips-06-btc-per-chip-batch-29-236103
PeZ
Activity: 297
Merit: 250
Once chips arrive, they'll go to the assembly house for anyone who's interested in having a board made, or shipped directly to you.
Is this assembly house in Canada? I ask since I am also Canadian.
Last thread hijack I promise but have you priced out the BOM yet? Some pricey support componentsit looks like. 
Pages:
Jump to: