Pages:
Author

Topic: Guard your Bitcoin with Stainless Steel Cold Storage - page 3. (Read 4575 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
Loose lips sink sigs!
Yeah, I think everyone suggests having your public and private key written down in copies in multiple places, that aren't connected to each other (so both can't be compromised at the same time). Perhaps this steel version is the one that sits at home in the safe while others are on thumb drives or paper in safe deposit boxes, etc.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
They look really slick, but I don't really understand how this can be safe if there is no backup. Or are you supposed to make 2 identical ones and just keep them at 2 places?

Not sure there is meant to be a back up i believe that is the back up, from the tests it seems pretty indestructible but obviously that is not taking into consideration that it can be lost which would be horrible. Maybe possible to make a paper back up and store in a safety box only to open if you lose the steel cold storage. The price is a little high between rum and sneekers so what about $40-$60 but then what price do you put on security hmmm
Activity: 448
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
They look really slick, but I don't really understand how this can be safe if there is no backup. Or are you supposed to make 2 identical ones and just keep them at 2 places?
Loose lips sink sigs!
Seems pretty cool. But it shouldn't be so small or expensive and they should use gold instead of steel.

Haha, yeah cause gold would enable them to make sure "it shouldn't be...expensive". Hahaha.

If it was gold how many BTC would the address need to hold for you to justify it? Imagine a gold wallet with BTC1.25 in it!
Activity: 392
Seems pretty cool. But it shouldn't be so small or expensive and they should use gold instead of steel.
Loose lips sink sigs!
I don't understand how these types of things are safe when the person who makes them has access to your private keys.

Just trying to dispel the myth, all the info I've found says the wallet comes with a card or two of letters and numbers so you punch out your public and private key on your own. The seller of this product has no connection to your address.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1005
★Nitrogensports.eu★
No,no you just get the letter pieces and you arrange them yourself. They are not pre-arranged.

I don't understand how these types of things are safe when the person who makes them has access to your private keys.
So the letters can be moved around? It does not sound too secure to me. If you just may lose some of your letter later when you break your wallet and spill everything around. Unless they can be arranged only once at first use and they stay in place since then?
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
I like the idea of a stainless steel cold storage, but it is much expensive. A simple paper wallet "guarded" safely is also better and it is "free". Instead the possible cost of that steel cold storage is "... between a bottle of rum and pair of sneakers."  = ~ 150-200 dollars (I suppose).
What Rum are you drinking and what sneakers are you wearing? I expect 20-50$ but I don't see how a Guarded paper wallet is any better? I mean the only issue with this is someone can open it, take a pic with a camera and put it back and your coins are gone.

Expensive ones , however 20-50 dollars seems a reasonable price and maybe I will buy one of these steel cold storage. A paper wallet is safe if you guarded it safely, like all the other things for example your credit card, your money (if you have a strongbox), etc...
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
When will crowd funding start?

legendary
Activity: 910
When will crowd funding start?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
No,no you just get the letter pieces and you arrange them yourself. They are not pre-arranged.

legendary
These people talking about them having access to private keys sent even reading the article lol.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1043
#Free market
I like the idea of a stainless steel cold storage, but it is much expensive. A simple paper wallet "guarded" safely is also better and it is "free". Instead the possible cost of that steel cold storage is "... between a bottle of rum and pair of sneakers."  = ~ 150-200 dollars (I suppose).
legendary
Activity: 1050
cool idea. But if the user put those letters in there my concern would be how do you make sure that they don't fall out if the device get shaken.  dropped etc... it better be freaking tight.  suggestion:  ideally once all the letters are in place the only way to change it would be to first remove a holding piece using a screwdriver.

Hi @jonald!
This is image how cryptosteel survive fall from 10 floors + Car crossing + Hammering with 1kg hammer several times... And you can burn it it will not have a singe sign of fading up to 1200 Celsius / 2100 Fahrenheit
We belive that cryptosteel will be an only item untouched after plain crash, or car accident.
This is a SOLID BAR OF STEEL - and it was implemented by Jan Mierzejewski: Heavy Ion Laboratory, University of Warsaw  Ph.D. in Physics.

Looks really very nice. Can I put this in my shirt pocket and have a .50 cal bullet fly into it? If so, the chances of me buying one just because it's bitcoin related and bullet proof is extremely high.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
peace of mind for your private keys and passwords
cool idea. But if the user put those letters in there my concern would be how do you make sure that they don't fall out if the device get shaken.  dropped etc... it better be freaking tight.  suggestion:  ideally once all the letters are in place the only way to change it would be to first remove a holding piece using a screwdriver.

Hi @jonald!
This is image how cryptosteel survive fall from 10 floors + Car crossing + Hammering with 1kg hammer several times... And you can burn it it will not have a singe sign of fading up to 1200 Celsius / 2100 Fahrenheit
We belive that cryptosteel will be an only item untouched after plain crash, or car accident.
This is a SOLID BAR OF STEEL - and it was implemented by Jan Mierzejewski: Heavy Ion Laboratory, University of Warsaw  Ph.D. in Physics.
Activity: 742
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political
Activity: 762
this looks so sick.. Looking forward to order Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 2002
Merit: 1016
Looks great! Will be buying one as long as the price isn't too extortionate Wink

Surprised they only weigh 200g.
legendary
This is sweet.  I always worry about the print fading or smudging on my paper wallet that's in my safety deposit box.  This can almost act as a backup.

Pages:
Jump to: