Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S3 Setup [HD] - page 20. (Read 137440 times)

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Dogie, as always your set up guides are very helpful. Thank you. I just got my first S3 from batch 9 today. Yeah, I know, late in the game, upgrading from my S1.

I've ordered the suggested antenna to add to it, for wifi.

A few questions:

1) Would it be better just to run the wire for the antenna out one of the PCI e plug holes in the top? Or is it better to drill and mount the thing.. seems a bit tricky to mount it each time with a 7" cable.

2) Also, I had problems setting up the Wifi on the S1 initially. Are there instructions for setting that up someplace? I don't see that on p. 1.

3) How do I overclock it? What's the best overclock guide? Is there a step by step someplace?

Right now the unit is on BTC Guild running at:

GH/S(5s) 456.44 - 468.92

GH/S(avg) 470.53

This thing was up in less than 10 minutes, but it seems odd that they don't include the short wire for the wifi when the card is included on the unit. At least the S1 had the pigtail thingy to screw on an antenna, which I took off another system.

Thanks again, Dogie!

Activity: 99
Ok 1 Dumbass question. A Newbie to the Britain S3+ but not a newbie to it.

Can each side of the miner be powered from separate PSU's?

Have to say mine arrived today and hashing away nicely! 😁

Mick

No

More than likely it can as the power is only shared over the controller board and its unlikely to be anything noteworthy.
Yes, it can.  Bitmain confirmed that at some point.  The controller board is actually only powered by one side, not the other.
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
It wont recognize any input in the form of  stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 address (for example). 

I am not sure how literally you mean that example, but mine work with http://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 (no tcp) when mining at the guild. Some pools use the tcp variant, but Slush and the guild work fine without it.

Activity: 119
Hello
  I am also new to mining and wanted to say Thank you Dogie for setting up this post and to all others for there helpful answers. I have an S3+ and had trouble getting it to mine  I had  a friend who also has the same miner come over to help me. After quite a while of banging our heads he figured out in miner config of my s3+ It wont recognize any input in the form of  stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 address (for example).   it will only recognize  ipb4 net addresses 127.0.0.1.53(for example)  Any input from the group?  thanks in advance  hope i worded the question right.

Your DNS Server is probably not working.

Are you using DHCP or Static IP ? If Static, make sure you have the right DNS Server set, you can use 8.8.8.8 for Google's DNS.

If DHCP, check your DHCP Settings, they should usually automatically deliver a DNS Server.

Thanks for the info i will have my friend look at it next time he comes over. Right now its working fine and i am scared to  touch anything LOL
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240
Hello
  I am also new to mining and wanted to say Thank you Dogie for setting up this post and to all others for there helpful answers. I have an S3+ and had trouble getting it to mine  I had  a friend who also has the same miner come over to help me. After quite a while of banging our heads he figured out in miner config of my s3+ It wont recognize any input in the form of  stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 address (for example).   it will only recognize  ipb4 net addresses 127.0.0.1.53(for example)  Any input from the group?  thanks in advance  hope i worded the question right.

Your DNS Server is probably not working.

Are you using DHCP or Static IP ? If Static, make sure you have the right DNS Server set, you can use 8.8.8.8 for Google's DNS.

If DHCP, check your DHCP Settings, they should usually automatically deliver a DNS Server.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Hello

What happens when you put stratum+tcp://stratum.btcguild.com:3333 in?
Activity: 119
Hello
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Mick

No

More than likely it can as the power is only shared over the controller board and its unlikely to be anything noteworthy.
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1240

Mick

No
Activity: 13
Merit: 0

Mick
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Ran into a problem!

First S3+ is hashing away, problem free.

My second, however, wasn't so lucky. After a botched Update on the firmware(just as i did on the first one), I tried to access the web gui again. It was not available, so i decided to do an IP scan, but it did not show up..

Now I am stuck here, with 50% of my rig no hashing and it's a tad depressing.. Hoping someone has run into this problem and has fixed it!

You can try the reset button but you'll likely have to send the controller back.
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Ran into a problem!

First S3+ is hashing away, problem free.

My second, however, wasn't so lucky. After a botched Update on the firmware(just as i did on the first one), I tried to access the web gui again. It was not available, so i decided to do an IP scan, but it did not show up..

Now I am stuck here, with 50% of my rig no hashing and it's a tad depressing.. Hoping someone has run into this problem and has fixed it!
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Thanks for your quick answer =)
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Hey Dogie.
Bitmain says the fans are "Two 14038" (140mm) and you say they are 120mm.
Who is right? Cheesy

120mm. S3s are only 137mm wide so they're certainly not 140mm fans. I think 14038 is in reference to a generic fan part they intended to use, but they now used the more expensive JDH fans that were found on the S2.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Hey Dogie.
Bitmain says the fans are "Two 14038" (140mm) and you say they are 120mm.
Who is right? Cheesy
legendary
dogiecoin.com
You misspelled 'utilizing'.
Strictly only 2 PCI-E connectors are required at stock speeds, however it will reduce cable temperatures by utilising all 4.

You forgot that the US isn't the only country in the world, thanks.
You misspelled 'utilizing'.
Strictly only 2 PCI-E connectors are required at stock speeds, however it will reduce cable temperatures by utilising all 4.
the 1923168.1.2 is the dhcp assigned address via the cable modem/router   should i be using the actual ip address from whatismyip ?

Don't use the DHCP assigned by your router, as this could change.  Use a static IP that you assign to your NIC. 
Since it sounds like you don't really know how to configure this, I would recommend just using ckolivas' Solo Pool, http://solo.ckpool.org, instead.
Pages:
Jump to: