Pages:
Author

Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed GC3355 5 Chip Setup/power/windows/linux/rpi by UnicornHasher - page 9. (Read 365538 times)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0
I just got my first gridseed yesterday, and so far I'm loving it.  I do have a question though...is it possible to dual mine (yeah, I know) on Windows with something other than the cpuminer and cgminer combo?
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1004
This cgminer.conf example uses 3 pools and will rotate from one pool to the next every two hours: "rotate" : "120",
cgminer will only look for up to 5 gridseeds: "usb" : "GSD:5",
gridseed options are set as: "gridseed-options" : "baud=115200,freq=750,chips=5,modules=1,usefifo=0,btc=16"

Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
"url" : "stratum+tcp://zzz.zzzz.zzz:5678",
"user" : "username",
"pass" : "x"
},
{
},
{
}
]
"api-listen" : true,
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"hotplug" : "10",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"shares" : "0",
"rotate" : "120",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin",
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"usb" : "GSD:5",
"gridseed-options" : "baud=115200,freq=750,chips=5,modules=1,usefifo=0,btc=16"
}

You don't have to use rotate.  There are other options in cgminer help.
cgminer will "write" a conf file for you and then you can edit it.

Thank you for all your help, it has been very much appreciated - I'll try that configuration file out on many non-BTC pools.

I currently have all of them hashing at 10-8GH BTC respectively and 320kh respectively on Dnotes coins.   

Hopefully, I be able to mine some of the newer SHA coins with your configuration file without getting share difficulties outside these Gridseed's tolerances.

Thank You, once again.
Activity: 140
This cgminer.conf example uses 3 pools and will rotate from one pool to the next every two hours: "rotate" : "120",
cgminer will only look for up to 5 gridseeds: "usb" : "GSD:5",
gridseed options are set as: "gridseed-options" : "baud=115200,freq=750,chips=5,modules=1,usefifo=0,btc=16"

Code:
{
"pools" : [
{
},
{
},
{
}
]
"api-listen" : true,
"api-mcast-port" : "4028",
"api-port" : "4028",
"expiry" : "120",
"hotplug" : "10",
"log" : "5",
"no-pool-disable" : true,
"queue" : "1",
"scan-time" : "60",
"shares" : "0",
"rotate" : "120",
"kernel-path" : "/usr/local/bin",
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
}

You don't have to use rotate.  There are other options in cgminer help.
cgminer will "write" a conf file for you and then you can edit it.

legendary
I have them running dual mode 750 MHz 8.5 to 8.75 Gh/s SHA-256 and 300kh/s Scrypt.  Those are poolside numbers.

The example I showed was in the cgminer.conf file not cmd line or batch file.  I just run cgminer with no options - it reads everything from the cgminer.conf file.

If your gridseeds are getting too hot then make sure your power supply and wiring are able to deliver the full 5 amps at 12 volts. That's 60 watts per gridseed in dual mode.  Mine run warm.
The oldest pod I have runs much warmer than newer pods and gives an occasional error at 750 MHz in dual mode.

Also, I don't set the frequency for cpuminer in the batch file.  I've found it makes no difference in dual mode.  cpuminer just takes the 750 MHz set in cgminer.conf.  I've run it like this for weeks.

I have run one at 850 MHz dual mode 10 Gh/s, 350 kH/s for 12hrs but that required a volt mod and the watts went up to 64 watts  which I think is too much for long term life of the pod so I stopped trying that.

From the GC3355 chip docs I see a "half" mode that I can't figure out how to do.

BTC mode up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate, with 2.4W/GHash
LTC mode up to 60K/s LTC Hash Rate
Dual-Coin mode up to 1.75G/s BTC Hash Rate + 60K/s LTC Hash Rate,
or up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate + 38K LTC Hash Rate

The 1.75G/s BTC Hash Rate + 60K/s LTC Hash Rate per chip is what I get now at 750 Mhz (8.75 Gh/s SHA-256 and 300kh/s Scrypt).
The 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate + 38K LTC Hash Rate per chip is what I refer to as half mode.  (11.25 Gh/s SHA-256 and 200kh/s Scrypt) I don't know how to do that.  Going to 900 MHz works for cgminer SHA but results in nothing but errors in cpuminer Scrypt.  I tried 900MHz cgminer, 450 MHz cpuminer but that didn't work.

I'm just about done experimenting with dual mode though.  It uses a lot of power and generates a lot of heat compared to Scrypt only.

Hi,

Could you copy and paste your configuration file (just delete out pools names and passwords)?

I've got all four connect to 650 watt PSU, I'm moving them to cooler location!

I've finished with the Scrypt only mode and decided to experiment with the SHA side - running individual instances of CPUminer fork by sandor111 (non-TUI) is amazing, hashes about 5%-10% higher then even a cgminer installation on a Raspberry PI!

Unfortunately, I haven't got good enough eyesight to attempt those voltage mods (needed a magnifying glass just to discern the solder brigdes required) - so decided to experiment with SHA instead!

Thanks
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
I would suggest to drop SHA mining, and go with Scrypt only, the Gridseeds are clearly not made for that. There are far better alternatives to SHA mining.
I have them running dual mode 750 MHz 8.5 to 8.75 Gh/s SHA-256 and 300kh/s Scrypt.  Those are poolside numbers.

The example I showed was in the cgminer.conf file not cmd line or batch file.  I just run cgminer with no options - it reads everything from the cgminer.conf file.

If your gridseeds are getting too hot then make sure your power supply and wiring are able to deliver the full 5 amps at 12 volts. That's 60 watts per gridseed in dual mode.  Mine run warm.
The oldest pod I have runs much warmer than newer pods and gives an occasional error at 750 MHz in dual mode.

Also, I don't set the frequency for cpuminer in the batch file.  I've found it makes no difference in dual mode.  cpuminer just takes the 750 MHz set in cgminer.conf.  I've run it like this for weeks.

I have run one at 850 MHz dual mode 10 Gh/s, 350 kH/s for 12hrs but that required a volt mod and the watts went up to 64 watts  which I think is too much for long term life of the pod so I stopped trying that.

From the GC3355 chip docs I see a "half" mode that I can't figure out how to do.

BTC mode up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate, with 2.4W/GHash
LTC mode up to 60K/s LTC Hash Rate
Dual-Coin mode up to 1.75G/s BTC Hash Rate + 60K/s LTC Hash Rate,
or up to 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate + 38K LTC Hash Rate

The 1.75G/s BTC Hash Rate + 60K/s LTC Hash Rate per chip is what I get now at 750 Mhz (8.75 Gh/s SHA-256 and 300kh/s Scrypt).
The 2.25G/s BTC Hash Rate + 38K LTC Hash Rate per chip is what I refer to as half mode.  (11.25 Gh/s SHA-256 and 200kh/s Scrypt) I don't know how to do that.  Going to 900 MHz works for cgminer SHA but results in nothing but errors in cpuminer Scrypt.  I tried 900MHz cgminer, 450 MHz cpuminer but that didn't work.

I'm just about done experimenting with dual mode though.  It uses a lot of power and generates a lot of heat compared to Scrypt only.
legendary
thevictimofuktyranny - to answer some of your questions:

The instructions on Crypto Mining Blog work well.
I'm not sure what the BTC=16 instruction is, my guess is it is the difficulty.  Most pools seem to automatically adjust anyway soon after you start mining.
1 instance of cgminer can run many Gridseeds.  --hotplug=10 (seconds or more) seems to be necessary - unplug the usb, start cgminer, plug the usb in and cgminer will find the gridseeds.

This post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5650273 is very useful.  You can use it to disable gridseed usb, then start cgminer, then enable usb.  It's like unplugging without actually unplugging them.

I clocked them up to 900 in SHA-256 mode. They may not all be capable of that.  750 seems to the max in dual mode.  

Do you want multiple instances of cgminer to mine different SHA coins?  I haven't tried that.

I find it easier to just run cgminer.exe with no instructions and let it read cgminer.conf
The last two lines of my conf file look like this: (to limit it to 5 gridseeds for example)

open a cmd window, get to the dir where cgminer is located and run cgminer --help
Lots of options there to choose from like rotate from one pool to the next based on time.

I don't think many people are dual mining or SHA only mining with these so you will probably have to go through a lot of trial and error on your own getting it to work as you want. I'm switching over to scrypt only myself.

Thanks  Grin for the help, HOTPLUG 10 has sorted it out with manually adding 1 at a time, secondly "--usb  GSD:4" works perfectly (you confused me by leaving of the -- and adding an extra Huh).

The "BTC=16" is meant to set share difficulty under 16 level. It does not work when you have more then 1 Gridseed running in dual mode on the same Windows CGminer compiled for us by Crypto Mining Blog.

Therefore, when share difficulty goes above 16 HW errors explode, Gridseeds get super hot and eventually shut down or CGminer crashes (or a mix of these).

Essentially, it is a bug in the dual mode version that shared settings is not carried over onto multiple Gridseeds!

The only workaround I've found is to run four Windows CGminers for my 4 Gridseeds, each stay working at Low difficulty shares and this way and I can overclock them 750mhz-700mhz! However, this is to mine BTC, when I want to mine the newer SHA coins.

Anyway, I've sent an email to Crypto Mining Blog to see if the have some answers for me!
HappyDaze you are now famous for your Operation CAMO... congrats on winning.

Thanks poopypants Smiley pretty exciting to win a  5 chip Gridseed from GawMiners & Crypto Mining Blog!
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003
NodeMasters

Hey! Thanks a lot mate! Worked perfectly!

no problem at all mate
Activity: 2
Hi there!
Uh... reading the post looks like I might have gotten into something bigger than what I can handle but I still want to be part of this.

I'm in UBUNTU 13.10 and I don't seem to be able to get past the building cgminer step:
Build cgminer:
Code:
cd ~/usb-miner/software/cgminer
./autogen.sh
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure --enable-gridseed
make
cd

whenever I type ./autogen.sh it prompts:
bash: ./autogen.sh: no such file or directory

Any ideas why this happens?

ok hers what i did

ok heres what i did
make sure you are sudo su to root
cd   
apt-get install build-essential libtool libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev libudev-dev autoconf automake screen
wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.34.0.tar.bz2
wget http://www.digip.org/jansson/releases/jansson-2.5.tar.bz2
tar -xvf curl-7.34.0.tar.bz2
cd curl-7.34.0
./configure
make
make install
cd ..

tar -xvf jansson-2.5.tar.bz2
cd jansson-2.5
./configure
make
make install
wget http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu/pool/main/a/automake1.11/automake1.11_1.11.6-2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i automake1.11_1.11.6-2_all.deb
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libjansson.* /usr/lib/
cd ..
git clone https://github.com/jmordica/cgminer-gc3355
if you have a problem with git then use  'apt-get install git'
cd cgminer-gc3355/
./configure --enable-scrypt --enable-gridseed
make

Thats it your done
./cgminer --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=800,chips=40,modules=1,usefifo=0,btc=0 --hotplug=0

this works on Ubuntu 13.10  and the new version 14 Ubuntu

Hope this helps you out.

Hey! Thanks a lot mate! Worked perfectly!

Activity: 134
HappyDaze you are now famous for your Operation CAMO... congrats on winning.
thevictimofuktyranny - to answer some of your questions:

The instructions on Crypto Mining Blog work well.
I'm not sure what the BTC=16 instruction is, my guess is it is the difficulty.  Most pools seem to automatically adjust anyway soon after you start mining.
1 instance of cgminer can run many Gridseeds.  --hotplug=10 (seconds or more) seems to be necessary - unplug the usb, start cgminer, plug the usb in and cgminer will find the gridseeds.

This post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.5650273 is very useful.  You can use it to disable gridseed usb, then start cgminer, then enable usb.  It's like unplugging without actually unplugging them.

I clocked them up to 900 in SHA-256 mode. They may not all be capable of that.  750 seems to the max in dual mode.  

Do you want multiple instances of cgminer to mine different SHA coins?  I haven't tried that.

I find it easier to just run cgminer.exe with no instructions and let it read cgminer.conf
The last two lines of my conf file look like this: (to limit it to 5 gridseeds for example)

open a cmd window, get to the dir where cgminer is located and run cgminer --help
Lots of options there to choose from like rotate from one pool to the next based on time.

I don't think many people are dual mining or SHA only mining with these so you will probably have to go through a lot of trial and error on your own getting it to work as you want. I'm switching over to scrypt only myself.
legendary
Hi, I'm really new to ASIC devices and mining coins. I can't seem to find any proper manuals for the Gridseed miners!

1) Are there any special instructions for cgminer (windows version from cyrpto mining blog) to mine other SHA256 coins in dual mode with Scyrpt.

2) I was interested in mining Continuum coins and noted a BTC=16 instruction. Is this instruction a worksize instruction, I found that deleting this instruction is the only way to mine other SHA256 coins. Is this the correct thing to do or not?

3) I wondered if their was a similar way to limited the difficulty of work on other SHA coins.

4) On the Windows CGminer version from "cyrpto mining blog" I can't get more then 2 cgminers recognised and everything for the "--usb" command has led to a crashes or command line not recognised.

5) I understand there is no SHA only command for Gridseed, but you simply overclock it higher and high up to 11GH. Is this this correct or not?

Some help from the community would be very much appreciated?

Activity: 519
Merit: 502
can anyone point me to the latest scripta image that works with the 5chip ?
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1003
NodeMasters
Hi there!
Uh... reading the post looks like I might have gotten into something bigger than what I can handle but I still want to be part of this.

I'm in UBUNTU 13.10 and I don't seem to be able to get past the building cgminer step:
Build cgminer:
Code:
./autogen.sh
make
cd

ok hers what i did

ok heres what i did
make sure you are sudo su to root
cd   
apt-get install build-essential libtool libcurl4-openssl-dev libncurses5-dev libudev-dev autoconf automake screen
wget http://curl.haxx.se/download/curl-7.34.0.tar.bz2
wget http://www.digip.org/jansson/releases/jansson-2.5.tar.bz2
tar -xvf curl-7.34.0.tar.bz2
cd curl-7.34.0
./configure
make
make install
cd ..

tar -xvf jansson-2.5.tar.bz2
cd jansson-2.5
./configure
make
make install
wget http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/ubuntu/pool/main/a/automake1.11/automake1.11_1.11.6-2_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i automake1.11_1.11.6-2_all.deb
sudo ln -s /usr/local/lib/libjansson.* /usr/lib/
cd ..
git clone https://github.com/jmordica/cgminer-gc3355
if you have a problem with git then use  'apt-get install git'
cd cgminer-gc3355/
./configure --enable-scrypt --enable-gridseed
make

Thats it your done
./cgminer --gridseed-options=baud=115200,freq=800,chips=40,modules=1,usefifo=0,btc=0 --hotplug=0

this works on Ubuntu 13.10  and the new version 14 Ubuntu

Hope this helps you out.

legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Hi there!

Build cgminer:
Code:
./autogen.sh
make
cd

Try to figure out where you are:

pwd

ls -al
Activity: 2
Hi there!

Build cgminer:
Code:
./autogen.sh
make
cd

Activity: 472
Merit: 250
I've searched for quite a bit, but is there a way to limit the number of Gridseed devices per cgminer instance in Windows? Say, calling devices 0-9 only per instance would be ideal. In testing my units average a higher accepted share rate when split amongst multiple instances.

--usb :10

...I think

That works properly. Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000
Git and binaries have been updated.
TUI is included, and a number of bugs have been fixed.
A number of useful commands have been added, check --help for more info.
Win: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ttqa9p851siz8oi/minerd-gc3355.zip
Rpi: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xc3lvysi8vtrt00/minerd-gc3355

Sandor111 Thinking about giving your miner a try. Have you tried dual mining with this yet.Keep up the good work and thanks.

It does not support dual mining. Maybe we should get a fund together to have him work on a dual mining version?
Pages:
Jump to: