Pages:
Author

Topic: GUIDE - Make your own open frame rig. - page 5. (Read 138049 times)

Activity: 295
Merit: 98
July 24, 2011, 05:49:36 PM
Nice job.  Only minor critique is that you've got the GPUs pretty close together.  Why not space them farther apart to allow more airflow?  You can also angle them differently to catch air from something like a box fan, if you're dedicating a room in your house for tech that is.

The spacing is the standard slot spacing on a motherboard. So it's card, blank slot, card, ect.

All the cards run between 59C and 74C. The 6970's (four of those on the top row) run hotter (in the mid to upper 60's) My 5870's (everything else) all run between  59C and 64C. So they seem to be getting good air flow.

Even when the outside temp's get into the 90F+ range the cards still stay decently cool.

I would space them further, but between leaving space for additional cards, and the limits of the riser lengths, that was the best I could come up with.

The motherboard plates all have the motherboard mounted all the way to the right (facing the PSU and motherboard connectors) which makes the riser cable in slot one a bit short to reach. I modified one of the plates to mount the motherboard further left, and it's a big improvement.

I'm talking to sheet metal shops about getting custom mounting plates made. Two of the design features being added are a standardized PSU mounting area and bracket, and moving the motherboard as close to the PSU as possible. For the power supply mount I'm going to have rails to keep the PSU from walking left/right, a more robust mounting bracket on the PSU face, and an adjustable Velcro strap to hold down the aft end of the supply.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
July 24, 2011, 12:23:46 PM
Nice job.  Only minor critique is that you've got the GPUs pretty close together.  Why not space them farther apart to allow more airflow?  You can also angle them differently to catch air from something like a box fan, if you're dedicating a room in your house for tech that is.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
July 22, 2011, 11:34:20 AM
Next step: Building 1-2 of these in a Ikea LACK table for added stackability + 19" compatibility! Smiley

http://wiki.eth-0.nl/index.php/LackRack
July 19, 2011, 04:11:08 PM
Another alternativei s not to have ANY disc in a rig. I am setting up a larger operation, and we will need to have 2 control servers locally anyway... it is quite trivial to install a ISCSI target on those and then implement a network boot that chains forward to an ISCSI drive per rig. The result are discless rigs. Network performacne is not really tricky also - after booting quite nothing happens on the rigs anyway, in regard to disc.

This seriously also helps in regards to scaling up and getting another 16 computers into the grid Wink

If you are really nice you use a ZFS based host for LUNs.
If I was running more than my three boxes I would definitely think about PXE booting them and running disk less.  It makes all the rigs interchangeable and cheaper.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
July 19, 2011, 05:49:21 AM
Another alternativei s not to have ANY disc in a rig. I am setting up a larger operation, and we will need to have 2 control servers locally anyway... it is quite trivial to install a ISCSI target on those and then implement a network boot that chains forward to an ISCSI drive per rig. The result are discless rigs. Network performacne is not really tricky also - after booting quite nothing happens on the rigs anyway, in regard to disc.

This seriously also helps in regards to scaling up and getting another 16 computers into the grid Wink

If you are really nice you use a ZFS based host for LUNs.
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
July 19, 2011, 02:28:25 AM
I was about to ask where the mounting area for the hard drive was, but then I realized you could just plug in a USB Flash Drive and use that as your boot drive with a linux-bitcoin distro.

Or, if it is supported, possibly a USB3 flash drive.  Not sure of actually real world usage, but some of the reviews I have seen possibly put it at least on par with PATA drives (according to Wikipedia, PATA can do up to 133 MegaBytes/sec.  USB3 apparently can do 640 MegaBytes/sec, plenty of room to breath).

Yeah, it could defiantly use a HDD mount. One could be added pretty easily, especially if you can harvest a 3.5" mounting frame from the mini tower case.

I don't bother because I boot my rigs off a 32GB compact flash in a SATA bridge. The system see's it as a 32GB SATA drive.

Nice.  is it sad that the first and only Compact Flash card I have every owned, and still have, is an 8 MegaByte one?
July 19, 2011, 02:25:24 AM
I was about to ask where the mounting area for the hard drive was, but then I realized you could just plug in a USB Flash Drive and use that as your boot drive with a linux-bitcoin distro.

Or, if it is supported, possibly a USB3 flash drive.  Not sure of actually real world usage, but some of the reviews I have seen possibly put it at least on par with PATA drives (according to Wikipedia, PATA can do up to 133 MegaBytes/sec.  USB3 apparently can do 640 MegaBytes/sec, plenty of room to breath).

Yeah, it could defiantly use a HDD mount. One could be added pretty easily, especially if you can harvest a 3.5" mounting frame from the mini tower case.

I don't bother because I boot my rigs off a 32GB compact flash in a SATA bridge. The system see's it as a 32GB SATA drive.
July 19, 2011, 02:21:02 AM

Activity: 278
Merit: 250
July 18, 2011, 03:45:12 PM
have you tested a one of the Cablesaurus x1->x16 cables?  really interested in how those ones specifically work out.

thanks for posting this.  printing it out right now Smiley

I am using 20 of the Cablesaurus x1 -> x16 adapters with no problems https://cablesaurus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=10

I had bought a few of the x1 -> x1 type and found modding them too much of a pain, so when I ramped up I went with the pre-modded ones.
Activity: 691
Merit: 511
July 18, 2011, 03:18:16 PM
Cheers mate.

Thank you very much for the awesome guide.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
July 18, 2011, 11:19:34 AM
hey this is an awesome guide. it would have saved me a lot of time, although material does cost a little more than what i started building. i used a bunch of aluminum angled (L) bars to make the frame, and rivets to hold them together. not completely finished yet because my dog just chewed the drill's power cord in half, so i can't continue until i get a replacement drill  Angry

have you tested a one of the Cablesaurus x1->x16 cables?  really interested in how those ones specifically work out.

if i remember correctly, i think when using the x1 pci-e extension cable, i had to short the two presence pins together on each of the pci-e slots for my MSI 890FX-GD70. i think it's easier to just use a x16 cable
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001
Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol
July 18, 2011, 01:34:31 AM

thanks for posting this.  printing it out right now Smiley

I have, the version with the molex to get the energy directly from the psu. I have two 5870 running with those cables. Not a problem, no reduction of speed.
Activity: 88
Merit: 10
July 17, 2011, 11:20:30 PM
Good post.
July 17, 2011, 11:19:43 PM
cant wait Smiley

if any kits are ready before Winter hits here in Northern Michigan, i'll definitely be getting one.  Plan to stick it in a back storage room that gets just as cold inside as it does outside.  I just hope I can get a good wifi setup on it so it doesn't lose connection.  No real way to run a network line over to it, so i'll just have to make due with whatever speed i can muster via Wifi.

I did a quick test with my iPad and on my 18Down/2Up cable connection and a 2.4GHz N Wifi network, the iPad was able to connect and get about 512K down and up to a Chicago IL server.  A better antenna set up will help for sure, as well as better overall placement in general.
July 17, 2011, 10:56:38 PM
If I make kits available the only tools you'd need are a hammer and a screw driver.

I might be interested, contingent upon price of course Smiley

BTW, this is super badass, great job!

Add me as a second interested party.  Would the kit include the motherboard mounting plate, or would we have to do that ourselves?  I know you can buy plates online at various sites for cheap.

I'd rather not modify a bunch of different motherboard types, and have to matching each one to threaded holes in the chasis, so I'm talking with some local sheet metal shops about making up some specifically for the case. If I can get a good price this would be the way to go, because they would all be the same, and designed spefically for our use and have better plate mounting and a real power supply mount.

If that doesn't pan out I'm talking to some recycling outfits in the area the seen interested in processing the computer waste they get and selling me the plates and a price not a lot higher than what they get for scrap.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
It's all about the game, and how you play it
July 17, 2011, 10:13:52 PM
I approve of the model M in the pictures i have several myself (including a few i unsuccessfully tried to sell over in the goods section) they are the standard all modern keyboards pale in comparison to.
July 17, 2011, 10:05:03 PM
If I make kits available the only tools you'd need are a hammer and a screw driver.

Add me as a second interested party.  Would the kit include the motherboard mounting plate, or would we have to do that ourselves?  I know you can buy plates online at various sites for cheap.
Activity: 56
July 17, 2011, 10:01:29 PM

July 17, 2011, 09:33:33 PM
The parts link don't seem to show prices at first glance. Could you list them in the page to give a ballpark figure of what it would look like to put this together?

Would love to make one myself, but don't have any of the tools 8(

Updated: Includes price dump from thier shopping cart.
WARNING: Old version had the wrong number of 90 elbow connectors listed as six, this has been corrected to the proper number ... Two.

Activity: 38
July 17, 2011, 07:55:23 PM
The parts link don't seem to show prices at first glance. Could you list them in the page to give a ballpark figure of what it would look like to put this together?

Would love to make one myself, but don't have any of the tools 8(

Pages:
Jump to: