Pages:
Author

Topic: GUIDE SETTING UP A SOLAR POWER SYSTEM - page 3. (Read 12866 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 504
July 09, 2014, 10:27:52 AM
I'm setting up a small solar powered off-grid system.
Will experiment on this cooling technique on it to check how much efficiency gain its giving.
Will update here. Before that I need to finalise my solar configuration.
I already have an inverter of 1500VA/24V and six 250W/24V Solar Panels.
With this I'm looking to make a 400W device run continuously off-grid for 16hrs a day then, on to grid for 8hrs.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1125
July 09, 2014, 08:18:54 AM
What do you guys think about watercooling cells ?
I heard it increase about 15% the efficiency.
Efficiency is inversely proportional to the Temperature in case of Solar Panels.
So, Water cooling should definitely give a push on the efficiency.
But in the practical case,water cooling these large panels is a messy job.
Also, the power required to pump in the water and spray in on top of the panel may nullify the effect of the increase in efficiency.
Its good for a hobbyist but may not be practical in a large system.

Well according to DIY tutorials and scientific experiments, the power from the pump system is really negligible.
It only need to be activated few minutes per day when the sun is high.

If I had time and workspace I would totally try.

legendary
July 09, 2014, 06:03:00 AM

What do you guys think about watercooling cells ?
I heard it increase about 15% the efficiency.

July 08, 2014, 10:35:24 AM
You above post is not clear to me.
I will show you an image below to get a clear picture. Click on the image to get make it bigger.
The invertors and controllers connected there are for sample only and are free to change.
Also alternate configurations are welcome from all.
If you know a good configuration than this for "Working 400W for 7hr backup" and "400W for 8hrs during daytime. Assume the remaining 9hrs the miner is switched off.

im having our electrician look at this i will get back to you within 48 hrs

Hope this will be a more helpful, a more simplified image than the above.
See below image.
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000
Fucker of "the system"
July 08, 2014, 10:08:19 AM
I will show you an image below to get a clear picture. Click on the image to get make it bigger.
The invertors and controllers connected there are for sample only and are free to change.
If you know a good configuration than this for "Working 400W for 7hr backup" and "400W for 8hrs during daytime. Assume the remaining 9hrs the miner is switched off.

im having our electrician look at this i will get back to you within 48 hrs
July 08, 2014, 05:38:56 AM
legendary
Fucker of "the system"
July 07, 2014, 04:52:20 PM

it looks like you would need at most 2 of our panels per s1 to run it for 5 hrs a day (depending on where you are located ) plus an inverter and any battery storage u might want. now factor in that it runs 24 hrs you would need 10-12 panels per s1 to run it 24/7  plus battery backup to be "OFF GRID"  if you want to be grid tied (recommended)  you could forego the battery backup and a bunch of headache our 7.5 kwh system could run 3-5 of these miners 24/7 (depending on time of year and location)  for $13,555  COMPLETE

How many panels(???W/24V) and the ChargeController(ratings including charge current) required to charge a battery bank of 200AH/24V in 7hrs from solar.
just to be clear the entire bank = 200ah/24v ?

if this is so you would need at max 4 305 watt panels running 5 hrs a day  this would give you 4.8 kwh per day the charge controller i would use is Morningstar’s TriStar MPPT TS-45 solar controller  which allows for peak of 3 kwh  this would run a little less than 1800 usd

this is just an example and your mileage may vary
July 07, 2014, 04:31:19 PM

it looks like you would need at most 2 of our panels per s1 to run it for 5 hrs a day (depending on where you are located ) plus an inverter and any battery storage u might want. now factor in that it runs 24 hrs you would need 10-12 panels per s1 to run it 24/7  plus battery backup to be "OFF GRID"  if you want to be grid tied (recommended)  you could forego the battery backup and a bunch of headache our 7.5 kwh system could run 3-5 of these miners 24/7 (depending on time of year and location)  for $13,555  COMPLETE

How many panels(???W/24V) and the ChargeController(ratings including charge current) required to charge a battery bank of 200AH/24V in 7hrs from solar.
legendary
Fucker of "the system"
July 07, 2014, 04:23:41 PM

it looks like you would need at most 2 of our panels per s1 to run it for 5 hrs a day (depending on where you are located ) plus an inverter and any battery storage u might want. now factor in that it runs 24 hrs you would need 10-12 panels per s1 to run it 24/7  plus battery backup to be "OFF GRID"  if you want to be grid tied (recommended)  you could forego the battery backup and a bunch of headache our 7.5 kwh system could run 3-5 of these miners 24/7 (depending on time of year and location)  for $13,555  COMPLETE
legendary
Fucker of "the system"
July 07, 2014, 03:31:18 PM
GO SOLAR WITH BTCITCOIN

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.7607842

we are taking orders
legendary
July 07, 2014, 07:16:05 AM

So the most complex part is the battery charge ?

Why not using the miner day-only ?
July 07, 2014, 03:39:07 AM
hi.

how much amps it need to power on a normal antminer s1 ?

and for the s2 ?

can someone tell more about current needed to mining...

**Two panels with 250W and 8.5A each one will power a S1 and keep it cool with a corsair cx500m Huh
or
**Five panels to power a S2 with the internal psu?? The amps and watts are right?Huh

thanks.

For our purposes amps it watts/volts.  Example: 350 watts/12 volts = 29 1/6 amps. 
The panels will depend if its 24v or 12v.  If its 24v it has twice the wattage and also means you need half the amps.  So 250watts and 8.5 amps means its 29 1/6 volts?HuhHuh
An S1 could get away with probably 400 watts of panels $200 if you make it yourself.  The quoted specs on solar panels only run for about 4 hours a day, so a little more would be necessary to get through more of the day.  A cx500  (what I"m using now)  would work as it has about 500 watts on the 12v rail for the miners. 
Five panels?  We need the ratings.  The 12v from the panels would probably need to get around the internal PSU, I'm not familiar with how that works.
If you're using a grid tie system then I guess it doesn't matter how many panels you have.

For an S1 to run with 360W the amp requirement is 360/12= 30A.
But from single 250W/24V PV Panel we will only get 8.5Amp maximum. So need 4 such panels to run one S1
That is 4*8.5 = 34Amps, when losses are calculated may need more.
Lucky7Gaming, what you think of my assumptions? I'm not clear in that point you above said.
Activity: 87
Merit: 10
July 04, 2014, 09:10:43 AM
hi.

and for the s2 ?

**Two panels with 250W and 8.5A each one will power a S1 and keep it cool with a corsair cx500m Huh
or
**Five panels to power a S2 with the internal psu?? The amps and watts are right?Huh

thanks.

For our purposes amps it watts/volts.  Example: 350 watts/12 volts = 29 1/6 amps. 
The panels will depend if its 24v or 12v.  If its 24v it has twice the wattage and also means you need half the amps.  So 250watts and 8.5 amps means its 29 1/6 volts?HuhHuh
An S1 could get away with probably 400 watts of panels $200 if you make it yourself.  The quoted specs on solar panels only run for about 4 hours a day, so a little more would be necessary to get through more of the day.  A cx500  (what I"m using now)  would work as it has about 500 watts on the 12v rail for the miners. 
Five panels?  We need the ratings.  The 12v from the panels would probably need to get around the internal PSU, I'm not familiar with how that works.
If you're using a grid tie system then I guess it doesn't matter how many panels you have.

Activity: 756
Merit: 500
July 04, 2014, 01:12:08 AM
hi.

and for the s2 ?

or

thanks.
July 03, 2014, 09:12:24 AM
Using 12 panels of 190W each with a 3KW inverter (originally wanted to have a 3KW system, but on installation we found that it wouldn't fit on the roof). All professionally installed and legally connected to the electricity utility through their meter.  The feed-in tariff is fairly small, so using it to offset the electricity provider's cost makes a lot of sense.  I'm getting 6 AU c/KWh as a feed-in tariff, while my provider charges about 54 AU c/KWh during peak time (there is a time-of-use formula, which I won't go into right now). This system produces more than 7 KWh/day during winter time (now, down under), and about 13 KWh/day during sunnier seasons.  It is a completely conventional installation, so I won't post any photos.  The miners are just connected to standard residential electricity outlets, and do not care if the electrons come from the roof or the utility.  There used to be a subsidized generous feed-in tariff here, which made PV systems very attractive, but the politicians decided that they can't afford the subsidy, so it was terminated.  It doesn't fully supply all the bitcoin mining needs, but helps put a slight dent in the energy bill.

Cheers

Yeah that's pretty cool.  If I make my own solar panels I can save money and not vet it nicely installed and hook them up toy minersx but this is probably the better long term strategy.
T
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
July 03, 2014, 03:01:51 AM
Using 12 panels of 190W each with a 3KW inverter (originally wanted to have a 3KW system, but on installation we found that it wouldn't fit on the roof). All professionally installed and legally connected to the electricity utility through their meter.  The feed-in tariff is fairly small, so using it to offset the electricity provider's cost makes a lot of sense.  I'm getting 6 AU c/KWh as a feed-in tariff, while my provider charges about 54 AU c/KWh during peak time (there is a time-of-use formula, which I won't go into right now). This system produces more than 7 KWh/day during winter time (now, down under), and about 13 KWh/day during sunnier seasons.  It is a completely conventional installation, so I won't post any photos.  The miners are just connected to standard residential electricity outlets, and do not care if the electrons come from the roof or the utility.  There used to be a subsidized generous feed-in tariff here, which made PV systems very attractive, but the politicians decided that they can't afford the subsidy, so it was terminated.  It doesn't fully supply all the bitcoin mining needs, but helps put a slight dent in the energy bill.

Cheers
July 02, 2014, 10:12:50 AM
This is an interesting thread, however you may consider a more 'conventional' approach:  Instead of having a system dedicated to mining, why not simply use a standard grid-tie PV system. This offsets or covers your mining electricity cost during sunny hours and allows you to mine using the grid during dark hours.  Standard grid-tie systems are common place, relatively low cost and accepted by neighbors/planning authorities/electricity providers.  These may be eligible for some 'green' subsidies in many countries.  Another factor is the WAF (or SAF=Spouse Approval Factor), where it is easier to convince of the merits of such an investment on wider financial/ethical grounds.
I have a PV system of about 2 KW peak capacity that provides partial offset of my mining electricity costs.  The electricity provider pays very little for energy that I feed into the grid, but charges 'like a raging bull' for the KW/h that they provide, so it makes a lot of sense to use internally all that the sun provides.  This of course doesn't help at night, but I don't need to buy and maintain large battery banks.  If some day I stop Crypto-coin mining, the PV system will still provide a useful function in reducing household electricity costs.

Cheers

That's a more conventional and easy approach to the problem.
As you said, building a battery bank is expensive.
How many panels you are using to get the said 2KW? Also let's know the watt ratings of panels.
If possible you are invited to post some images or drawings of the connections if its not conventional.

In my state, NJ, the power company said that small grid tie inverters are illegal.  You'd have to check in your state.  I would have to get the grid ties professionally installed.  Grid tie inverters are not very efficient and power companies pay pennies on the dollar for that electricity.  Also, this would mean you need an input outlet of electricity into the miners and an output outlet to the power company, and there might not be enough power outlets in your house.  I still think running the solar panels with a small battery to even out the voltage and then switching to wall power the rest of the night would work cheaper. 
July 02, 2014, 04:51:07 AM
This is an interesting thread, however you may consider a more 'conventional' approach:  Instead of having a system dedicated to mining, why not simply use a standard grid-tie PV system. This offsets or covers your mining electricity cost during sunny hours and allows you to mine using the grid during dark hours.  Standard grid-tie systems are common place, relatively low cost and accepted by neighbors/planning authorities/electricity providers.  These may be eligible for some 'green' subsidies in many countries.  Another factor is the WAF (or SAF=Spouse Approval Factor), where it is easier to convince of the merits of such an investment on wider financial/ethical grounds.
I have a PV system of about 2 KW peak capacity that provides partial offset of my mining electricity costs.  The electricity provider pays very little for energy that I feed into the grid, but charges 'like a raging bull' for the KW/h that they provide, so it makes a lot of sense to use internally all that the sun provides.  This of course doesn't help at night, but I don't need to buy and maintain large battery banks.  If some day I stop Crypto-coin mining, the PV system will still provide a useful function in reducing household electricity costs.

Cheers

That's a more conventional and easy approach to the problem.
As you said, building a battery bank is expensive.
How many panels you are using to get the said 2KW? Also let's know the watt ratings of panels.
If possible you are invited to post some images or drawings of the connections if its not conventional.
Activity: 176
Merit: 100
July 02, 2014, 04:27:17 AM
Have you check the electricity rate at Iceland? 0.04 USD per kilo watt if I am not mistaken.

Unless solar can beat this rate without subsidy, all huge mining operation and data center will head that way.
Pages:
Jump to: