Pages:
Author

Topic: Gun freedom advocates - what weapons shouldn't be legally available? - page 3. (Read 10833 times)

donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
My question is - to protect the public from having to view such embarrassing incidents, which should be banned -  the private ownership of swords or the private ownership of pyjamas?

This implies that the public needs protection from "having to view such embarrassing incidents."

I do. What would have happened if his penis had flopped out of his pyjama pants? I would forever associate penises with swords, that's what. Once seen, a doodle in public cannot be unseen.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
My question is - to protect the public from having to view such embarrassing incidents, which should be banned -  the private ownership of swords or the private ownership of pyjamas?

This implies that the public needs protection from "having to view such embarrassing incidents."
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Don't be fooled. It's *your* gun they want, no matter what kind it is. An attack on one is an attack on all. Everything is, indeed, connected.
I respect your opinion even though I feel it's extreme.  All either of us can say for certain is that you and I view the world very differently.

You still haven't elucidated your position on who should be allowed to have what firearms. I'm honestly curious as to where you draw the line.

This thread is not about firearms - that's too limiting. It's about weapons in general. What weapons shouldn't people be allowed? Harkening back to a previous post, I would like access to area denial weapons. I would like to deny Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and door-to-door salesmen the area in front of my front door

I just read an old news story about a guy walking down the street in his pyjamas, brandishing a samurai sword and threatening people. My question is - to protect the public from having to view such embarrassing incidents, which should be banned -  the private ownership of swords or the private ownership of pyjamas?
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 2119
1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
I respect your opinion even though I feel it's extreme.  All either of us can say for certain is that you and I view the world very differently.

No problem. We're not really at odds. Just bear in mind that I grew up in a country where gun confiscation became near-complete in my lifetime. Once the majority does not have a dog in the hunt (if you'll pardon the pun), it's already the endgame.
Don't be fooled. It's *your* gun they want, no matter what kind it is. An attack on one is an attack on all. Everything is, indeed, connected.
I respect your opinion even though I feel it's extreme.  All either of us can say for certain is that you and I view the world very differently.

You still haven't elucidated your position on who should be allowed to have what firearms. I'm honestly curious as to where you draw the line.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
Alternatives to hunting could be readily deployed for that scenario. Trapping, poison bait, contraceptives... Remember, this is the government so they're not concerned with efficiency.

Come to that, they'd probably just have professional animal controllers. I guarantee that even if you would want hunting to be your full-time job, you either wouldn't like the pay or would be competing with many others for the job.

What they're really looking for right now is for control of guns to cease being a matter for law and to start being a matter for regulation. Once they have "assault" weapons down, watch them tweak the definition of "assault weapon" until they get you. Semi-automatics, guns capable of being loaded with more than one round, ammunition > 22, high fps, barrel length, scopes, gunpowder... Watch them fall one-by-one.

legendary
Alternatives to hunting could be readily deployed for that scenario. Trapping, poison bait, contraceptives... Remember, this is the government so they're not concerned with efficiency.

Come to that, they'd probably just have professional animal controllers. I guarantee that even if you would want hunting to be your full-time job, you either wouldn't like the pay or would be competing with many others for the job.

What they're really looking for right now is for control of guns to cease being a matter for law and to start being a matter for regulation. Once they have "assault" weapons down, watch them tweak the definition of "assault weapon" until they get you. Semi-automatics, guns capable of being loaded with more than one round, ammunition > 22, high fps, barrel length, scopes, gunpowder... Watch them fall one-by-one.

...We are are a highly developed, specialized and multi-disciplinary society which has mastered farming. There is zero need to hunt. Zero. Anyone who thinks it has some kind of special status is deluded...
I soooooo wish this were true, but it's not.  In order to keep the deer population at reasonable levels in my state 500,000 hunters have to kill over 250,000 deer each year.  The impact of not doing so means drastically increased highway deaths due to car-deer collisions and a multimillion dollar impact to the farming you say we've mastered.  Everything is connected Richy.
If we hadn't killed so many wolves, this wouldn't be an issue.

Of course, we needed to kill them to protect our livestock, so one might say that mastering farming is what has required hunting.
...We are are a highly developed, specialized and multi-disciplinary society which has mastered farming. There is zero need to hunt. Zero. Anyone who thinks it has some kind of special status is deluded...
I soooooo wish this were true, but it's not.  In order to keep the deer population at reasonable levels in my state 500,000 hunters have to kill over 250,000 deer each year.  The impact of not doing so means drastically increased highway deaths due to car-deer collisions and a multimillion dollar impact to the farming you say we've mastered.  Everything is connected Richy.
Frankly, guns are not that big a part of my life. But nobody goes after my other hobbies with such hysteria.

The only thing in my spheres of interest that even comes close to comparing is the "D&D is gunna kill ur bay-beeeees!" froth of the 80's.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
I don't here at work, but I should be home early enough tonight to make you one. I'll PM when I have it.

Oooh, I'd like a look, though it will have real legal weight if it's on a big firm's letterhead or a local lawyer each one of us has on retainer.
It does not have much "legal weight". Any fool who signs it would take on significant liability, but it is more humor advocacy than something I would expect a store owner to shake on.

I put it here ( http://www.filedropper.com/contract ) for anyone who wants it.

Jeez, I'm sorry you guys have to live someplace where you are always in fear for your lives.  This "Wisconsin" you speak of sounds horrible.  Oddly, I live in a US state named Wisconsin too but it must be different since I've never been in fear for my life. Ever.
I'm not at all a fearful person. Wisconsin is one of the safest places and these are some of the safest times. Still, things happen.  It's not about the likelihood of violence for me, it's about the fundamental right to protect myself. That should be timeless, because peace is so transient.

Frankly, guns are not that big a part of my life. But nobody goes after my other hobbies with such hysteria.
legendary
Hunting is probably the least valid reason in any case. We are are a highly developed, specialized and multi-disciplinary society which has mastered farming. There is zero need to hunt. Zero. Anyone who thinks it has some kind of special status is deluded. Once you have bowed to the requirements of "necessity", the grabbers will snuff out your hobby in a heartbeat.
Jeez, I'm sorry you guys have to live someplace where you are always in fear for your lives.  This "Wisconsin" you speak of sounds horrible.  Oddly, I live in a US state named Wisconsin too but it must be different since I've never been in fear for my life. Ever.
Neither are we. Because we know we can defend ourselves. Now, care to answer the questions I asked earlier:

So what's the requirement to own a full auto .50 cal Ma Duece? Training? Military only? Police and military only? And why?

If hunting is the only reason you feel a private citizen should be allowed a weapon, then why not ban guns entirely, and limit people to only owning compound bows?
legendary
Activity: 3010
Merit: 1031
RIP Mommy
I don't here at work, but I should be home early enough tonight to make you one. I'll PM when I have it.

Oooh, I'd like a look, though it will have real legal weight if it's on a big firm's letterhead or a local lawyer each one of us has on retainer.
Activity: 215
Merit: 100
@myrkul

Hey man, If you find yourself in Wisconsin let's go shooting!

Cheesy

As far as self defense, here is how I approach a business that does not allow firearms.
If they have a sign posted, I ask them if they are taking responsibility for my safety instead? I have a legal document that a lawyer friend made for me. It has a place for the manager to sign and agree to protect my life with their life in the event an armed intruder. They promise to fight the intruder while allowing the customers to escape.
No one has signed yet. And I'm quite sure if someone started shooting they would be the first to run and leave me to die. I don't patronize places where I cant protect myself and have zero security.

I grew up in Wisconsin. Small town up north. Used to open carry since it was legal, and the older I got, the more people were scared of someone being armed in public. I see Wisconsin finally came out of the dark ages with the new gov. Glad to see Concealed Carry made it through all the bullshit the governor had to go through with the recall elections. union thugs, and liberal whiners. Not as good as constitutional carry but it's a step in the right direction.

Where I am at now, everyone carries concealed because we have no open carry law, but that's about to change. We already had all knife laws repealed several years back, so there is no restriction on blade length or switchblades....guess what? It didn't raise crime.

Guns aren't the issue, people are. An armed society is a polite society. Go Packers, Go Badgers!

legendary
@myrkul

Cheesy

Sounds fun. I'll let you know if I ever find myself up north again.

As far as self defense, here is how I approach a business that does not allow firearms.
If they have a sign posted, I ask them if they are taking responsibility for my safety instead? I have a legal document that a lawyer friend made for me. It has a place for the manager to sign and agree to protect my life with their life in the event an armed intruder. They promise to fight the intruder while allowing the customers to escape.
No one has signed yet. And I'm quite sure if someone started shooting they would be the first to run and leave me to die. I don't patronize places where I cant protect myself and have zero security.
This. You don't happen to have a pdf of that document, do you?
legendary
@myrkul

Cheesy

... The short answer is hunting weapons of sufficient caliber to humanely kill the game being hunted.  That's it, with few exceptions.  ...

I also find this complicated. But I don't understand the hunting exception. I own guns, including military type guns, but I don't use them to kill animals. Why should I be disallowed from having a gun just because I don't want to kill an innocent animal with it?

It's really not nearly as complicated as you're making it. tcp, have you examined why you would rather not let other people have weapons except for hunting? I'd wager it boils down to something along the lines of "I don't want them to shoot me."

The problem is, even a little .22 varmint gun, if aimed well, can kill a human. And if you're hunting large game, that gun can easily kill a human. And it's not like a "hunting gun" can't be pointed at a human. So, even your restriction of "only firearms for hunting" is no more effective than "No big scary black guns."

Howabout this restriction:

"Own whatever weapon you like, but don't use it to kill people."

Simple, yeah?
It's really not like that for me--I think you're reading into what I said.  I believe you should be allowed to own as many guns as you want and use them for whatever you want as long as you don't break the law.  I do however think there should be reasonable limits on the type of gun you own which is the focus of this thread.  RodeoX uses the phrase "military style guns" which is very subjective.  A semi-automatic AR-15, for example, is functionally almost no different than many .223 "traditional" hunting rifles. (Let's leave the magazine capacity argument aside for the sake of discussion since it's a different can of worms.)  For some reason, apparently for no other reason than because the AR-15 looks more menacing, some people believe it should be restricted.  I don't agree with them since you can reasonably use that AR-15 for hunting.  But if you argue anyone should be allowed to own a fully automatic weapon or a Barrett .50 then you've lost me.  That's not to say no one should be allowed to own them, just that most people shouldn't be allowed to own them.
So what's the requirement to own a full auto .50 cal Ma Duece? Training? Military only? Police and military only? And why?

As I mentioned, my opinion is ever-evolving.  The hunting justification is not an absolute line in the sand here but in my mind a rough guideine of what might be considered reasonable.  I use it as reasonable because where I live most top level predators have been destroyed and management of game populations falls on humans since we created the problem.  I realize that even that is not cut-and-dried but it's a starting point.  Of course, if you believe the world is on the verge of ERL (Excessive Rule of Law) or WRL (Without Rule of Law), which I don't, then we are starting from a different set of assumptions and I don't see much room for compromise.  On the other end of the firepower spectrum we have handguns. Since I think the usual self-defense justification is quite weak I fall back again to the hunting guideline.  If it can't reasonably be used as a hunting weapon most people shouldn't be allowed to have it.  Again, if you disagree with me on the self-defense argument then here again there's little room for compromise.

The self-defense argument is not weak. It's the solid truth. Criminals don't like attacking armed citizens, and if concealed carry is allowed in an area, criminals are reluctant to attack anyone, because they're unsure who's armed, and who isn't. Hunting can be done just as effectively (though obviously not at the ranges allowed by guns) with a bow and arrow. If hunting is the only reason you feel a private citizen should be allowed a weapon, then why not ban guns entirely, and limit people to only owning compound bows?
Pages:
Jump to: